Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Sold] 1990 Suzuki RGV250 VJ21

Discussion in 'Archived' started by Aus_James, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Aus_James, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    1990 Suzuki RGV250 VJ21 - two stroke rocket ship / Period 6 Proddy race bike!

Completely standard bike, 43,000kms, cosmetically fair with the usual wear and tear for a 23yo+ learner bike (no longer LAMS legal though), mechanically good, fully functional, starts easily, quiet, warms up well with no overheating, powervalves functional and comes on the pipe well, will need new tires, Recommend inspection, upgrade model with larger 34mm carbs and adjustable suspension
    Video available at http://youtu.be/6MHWQWY4rSs

I am selling this bike to fund my entry into the 2014 Isle of Man race

Background - I have been racing two strokes for 12 years. Started on a 1995 RGV250 VJ22, moved to TZ and RD350LC, numerous two stroke enduro and motocross bikes. I have a lot of experience with them. This bike I saw over the road from my parents’ house. I took a look and after smelling the two stroke, and verifying it was a good bike, my heart bought the bike!

I spent a few days going over it, to check it out thoroughly. It is indeed a standard bike in what appears to be reasonable condition. The engine is quiet when started, doesn't smoke excessively (gearbox seals are ok etc.), warms up well and rides well. I have replaced the gearbox oil (a must on RGV's), re-lubricated all moving parts (brakes, controls, power valve actuators, clutch, levers etc.etc), new plugs, new air filter, patched up airbox back to standard, replaced the screen, right foot peg bracket and a general fettle to get back to a fully functional level. Judging by the tires, it looks like it's been left for a while in storage.

I’ve since realised that as much as I’d love to keep it, I need to sell it to fund new projects. It would make a perfect new Period 6 250 Production race bike! Go race at the Island Classic! I had considered this, but will now concentrate on my 400 race bike.

Mufflers /pipes are excellent which is unusual (they are normally scratched up from drops), front brakes are phenomenal, rear brake is worn but functional (I rarely touch the rear brake so not an issue but does work fine). Suspension is functional and not worn out. Front forks are a little weapy, but OK. Rear shock works and has the upgraded adjustable one. This is the last of the VJ21’s and is the sough after upgraded one. Better suspension, bigger carbs (34mm instead of 32mm).

Issues are: right fairing needs attaching to bike, OK now but could be an issue, indicators aren’t very solidly mounted, need some attention. Rear disc could be undersized, only RWC issue. Will need new tires. Tank is the roughest aspect, has small dint at the front, easily repaired. And tank pad had been partially removed which pulled off some paint and rusted up a little. I have put a temporary tank pad over the top to protect it. If I were to keep the bike, I would repaint the white part of the tank and this would transform it.
    Inspection high recommended. It is a 23yo bike and shows it’s age. But has a lot going for it as is, or even to restore.

Already a modern classic and will only increase in price and become club registerable in 2 years time.

Sold as is, no rego, no RWC. Advertised elsewhere. Reserve the right to remove at anytime.

James 0419 679 946 jameswpickard@hotmail.com

Kilsyth, Victoria

Available on eBay and Gumtree, not allowed to post the links

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.