Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Soft Shocks (forks)??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Doggy, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Anyone know any easy ways to stiffen up the forks on a GS500 its a '03 with only 12k on it but on some d/ways it bottoms out. I've heard that the GS have allways had a soft front end so there must be an easy cure out there. I'm 82kg if that helps.

2. replacement springs cost about $175.

You can of course pre-load with 20c coins. Warning, a bit bodgy, but not too bad on these older style forks

You can also much around with heavier weight oil. That will slow down dive. Be careful not to go too far with this as it will also slow rebound. This can tie up the front end, with a series of bumps.
  3. looking on the uk GS site they do it with little bits of polyurethene rod nearly the same dia as fork. How much do you use? 1/2 " ?? 1"?? or trial and error? I don't really want to be mucking around with suspension too much as a case of the wobbles can be bad for the health :p
  4. The 20c pieces in the Suzuki Across forks used to work a treat. Never heard anyone complain about it. Almost mandatory on that bike and improved the front end heaps.
  5. Thats why 20c pieces are pretty good. They are small steps.

You can take a fork cap off and measure it. Put a jack towards the front of the bike.

Don't be scared, it's pretty simple stuff.

It can be just a bit tricky to get the cap back on, because you need to compress the spring. Take your time and make sure the cap doesn't get cross-threaded.

Other then that, it;s simple. Once you get the ideal length, you can replace the 20c pieces with a poece of tube.