Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

socket set for home trail bike maintenance

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by buckerooni, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Hey All,

I've got some general tools in a toolbox from my mountain bike days (allen keys, pliers, adjustable spanners, some combo spanners) but it is falling short when I start tinkering with the motorbike.

The type of stuff I will be doing will be general maintenance, suspension tuning (external stuff), general tinkering and changing wheels (probably NOT tires!).

It looks like a socket set may be the best place to start, but am wondering about sizes - do I only need metric? Here's one I was looking at :

what do you think - does this contain most of the sizes I'll need?

I've done a bit of searching around and it looks like kincrome get a pretty good wrap for quality/value/warranty for home use. any feeback on this also appreciated.
  2. Looks good, 3/8" good maximum size for bikes. Only have 1/4 and 1/2" - the latter being fine for cars, but that bit heavy and too much leverage for soft bike cases.

You can get a tyre lever with large ring spanner for your rear wheel, get two more tyre levers and you'll be coverd to change tyre on the trail if ya have to. Carry spare tube 19" can do both front and rear.
  3. Your toolkit will probably never be complete.
    To start out that set looks good to me, as long as your bike uses metric sockets.
    There's a millions pieces you could buy and the best way is to start with the basic set, then buy the tools you need for the job at hand (since they change with the job/bike).
    With bikes a lot of the time you need/want the right tool - for instance if they say a certain sized star screwdriver they usually mean it - or you'll be spending all your time trying to remove the stripped screw or whatever. :oops:
  4. You probably should add tyre levers to the toolkit, you never know when you'll be needing to change a tube out in the middle of no where and it would be an unplesant ride with a flat. The best way to learn to do this is to change your own tyres at home while you have time, patience and your not half dehidrated.
    and use alot of soapy water while your learning.
  5. Adding to the other thread. I started out about 5 years ago with a $900 odd ex-apprentice-mechanic Kincrome tool set, and have been building from there. Bearing shops and Total Tools are good for odd sizes. If you after cheap but last longer then a week, I'm pretty impressed by SuperCheap's Home brand, they appear to be semi-decent quality.

And Supertool and ChromeTech is made by Kincrome, which I believe is owned by Stanley. Although it is made in thailand, it's all still quality steel. And "sure-grip" rubbery handled screwdrivers rock.
  6. your toolkit grows with everything you do. mine gets a new friend every week or so these days. the kincrome stuff is pretty good as they are copies of snap-on.. ive put some of there stuff through hell and is still holding up. just make sure you know where your tools are so you dont accuse your mates of stealing them.