Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So why do they do it?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Sinner, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Now I know this is going to sound like a bit of a newbie question but I need to know

I’ve noticed some bike have a cover (almost like a wrist band) around their front brake fluid reservoir, why is this so?

Does it preserve the oil as it is exposed to the sun?

Is it just to make it look good?
  2. I like the look of the brake reservoir sock. I think it is to keep sunlight off it and keep the fluid cool or prevent it from being affected by long term sunlight damage. And maybe if you stack it, it will prob leak less if its damaged, so on a track where fluids on the track can make a nightmare for another person.

I dont know any other reason why, but for the looks :-k
  3. Don't know what it is for, but I know I wouldn't put oil instead of brake fluid in that reservoir.

4. This is very true
  5. i've only seen it done on stunt bikes where the reservoir can cork you in the calf muscle
  6. I always thought it had something to do with preventing water absorption. Bugger it, just bleed your brakes now and then.
  7. Doesn't everyone put their stubby-holder there when they ride to the pub???
  8. I'm hazzarding a guess here, but I believe brake/clutch fluids are vegetable oil based fluids, and being a chef by trade, we are taught that direct sunlight is a killer when it comes to oils of any description. Having said that, prolonged sunlight &/or heat is a killer of all fluids/liquids, even water.

I've never noticed these socks, but if that's what they are intended for, then picking the color of your sock is vital too, as some colors absorb heat, and some colors reflect it. The general rule, if I remember correctly, is that lighter colors reflect, & darker colors absorb. Been a lo-ong time since I was at school :grin: .
  9. :LOL: @Ktulu

4026th post! :woot:

:shock: :shock:
  10. I've only noticed black
  11. That doesn't surprise me.

I'd probably be leaning towards what Loz said, as water only needs the ever so slightest of gaps to seep thru. The resevoirs are in direct sunlight all the time, which can cause warping, and deterioration of the rubber seal, which pretty much renders it useless.
  12. It is because sunlight eventually breaks down brake fluid.
  13. :LOL: So you've made 20 posts since this morning. Nice....I didn't keep an eye out on your 4000th sorry mate!

Re brake 'sock'...hmmm...do they only use it on the 'foot' brake? :oops:
  14. I thought it was a sock and it's just where they go to when they disappear out of the washing machine.

Seriously though, I can't believe it is just to protect the fluid from sunlight. I mean if that was the case, why would you settle for a sock when you could have a cute little parasol over your brake fuid reservoir.
  15. I'm sure I read somewhere, possibly here, that if the bike was to say, do a wheelie, it would stop any fluid from leaking out.

I may also be very wrong.
  16. :LOL: Yeah there's a screwed-down cap and a rubber seal there to stop that sort of shenanigans. :)
  17. These are all good points that everyone has brought forward, but what gets me is why is it only for the front brake fluid and not on the rear.......................Please explain
  18. maybe thats how bike manufacturers get their jollies. they throw socks over the reservoirs on like half the bikes that come off the production line just to mess with the heads of the eventual owners. every time someone emails the company to ask why, it gets forwarded to the production line staff and the laugh their asses off.

thats what i'd do at least
  19. It's working
  20. It's the code to a secret club... if you have to ask, then you're not "in"...