Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So what's this thing they call a motorbike?

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by wilwicked, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I have been lurking the forum for a bit now, it's about time I did the polite thing & introduce myself.

I've been a long time admirer of this thing they call a motorbike but have only just recently (6 weeks ago) made the first step & actually got my Learners.

The forum has provided such useful information & have found that almost everyone is always willing to help.

I haven't got a bike as yet, but am looking at a few as we speak. Hoping to find the right CBR250RR for me.

Anyone here that can lend a helping hand in the Melbourne area would be much appreciated, as a 2nd opinion or someone with a little more knowledge to my limited exposure would be great.

2. Good on ya Wil, get the bike and get out there and ride as much as you can. Dont fall into the trap of blaming everyone else for what happens on the road and you'll be fine.
  3. Well it's got two wheels, a motor, handlebars and this thingy that you twist to make it go VROOM VROOM and go faster, and this thingy that you squeeze to make it stop.

Welcome to the forums mate :)
  4. Hey I know a little about cbr250rr's, I looked at about 10 of them when I was bike shopping, so if you have any questions I might be able to answer them.
  5. Willy Willy Willy. Hello :)
    Do you gamble ???
    How new to riding are you. Have you ridden?
    I would learn to ride and then see what bike I want to buy.
    A CBR250RR even makes a cranky old coot like me smile :)
    But I wouldn't want to learn on one. Not for my first bike. Fairings are very dear to replace. And only a few can repair them well.
    If you have insurance it will cost you around $1800 pa. With a $2500 excess. But an upper fairing and tank will make up that 2500 pretty quick.
    You may be the luckiest guy in the world. Or have ridden dirties for a few years.
    If not..... well yeah it could cost you a lot that dream.
    For my first six months I would have something I could quite happily let fall over and walk away.
  6. Here's my short and sweet welcome: HOWDY!
  7. hello mate welcome to netrider and good luck with the bike .,
  8. Hi Bretto,

My riding experience is very limited at present, it really has only been the learners test & introductory riding course to learn the fundamentals. Otherwise if you count 100cc scooters in Thailand as riding experience. I guess you can include that in my CV.
    But overall I am a learner.
    I have scoured the internet on various bikes, reviews, comparisons, articles on the best bike to have. The unfortunate thing is that everyone has a different opinion with all different levels of experience & preferences.
    I had changed my mind so many times from initially wanting an R125, RS125, FZR250, Ninja250, RVF400 & CBR250RR.

And i'm sure the list can go on, but I have made the personal decision to go with a CBR.
    I don't plan to drop my bike (and nor does any other rider) but I have come to the realistic conclusion that I will happen to me at one stage or another. I guess its something you have to come to grips with when u own a bike.

Take this as an example, When I first bought a car, i was well prepared & cautious on maintaining it, washing & waxing it almost on a weekly basis, driving it carefully, parking it away from the main carpark section etc. Only to have mother nature punish me with a hail storm when my car was not under any covers.
    So I am a little wiser in my age to now say that I am somewhat more realistic in what happens on the road. No matter how much you try to be the better driver or rider. S**t happens!! I just can't have these little mishaps deter me from doing what I aim to do & that is to ride as much as I can.

I have been told not to consider a bike is not a cheaper option of transport. and I have so far agreed with that bit of advice, as so far to date I have invested a lot of my initial "bike funds" towards a leather jacket, kevlars, helmet, gloves & spine protector.

Not saying I have an endless source of funds to splash around, but I guess its the sacrifices you make to ride your initial dream.
  9. All good.
    As I say you could be a 16y/o and clueless.
    I wasn't bagging.... more so giving you the whole picture.
    At least you are aware. That helps lol.
    Best bet is to meet and greet them. Look and sit on them all and narrow it down a bit that way. When you have the two or three that really rock your boat. Ride them. Sales are not the best and dealers will do anything to make a customer.
    For mine I would stick to the name brands. Tis just me. But they are easier to sell. Hyo's might be a cheap buy in but parts are just ridiculous.
    You are a prize student buying good safety gear first. Top marks. One of the most sensible sentences I have read on this forum
  10. Hi and welcome to NR.

Opinions on whether to buy new or a POS (piece of sh!t) vary. Personally I would learn on a second hand bike, preferably naked (plastics cost a fortune if you drop them).

What I probably wouldn't do is buy a near new LAMS bike. They probably cost so close full price that you may as well go ahead and get a new one.

Definitely a sports bike is not a cheap form of transport. If you want that get a scoot.

From the list above I would not go below 250cc. Smaller mayy scoot along when would up but hit a hill or head wind and performance will be limited, especially if you weigh in a bit heavy.

Basicaly what Bretto said is good advice. Especially about the insurance costs which can be crippling.

However at the end of the day it is your decision and as long as you are aware of the issues then probably any bike is better than none.
  11. Welcome Wil !! If you've read before you'd very well know everybody throws their two bobs worth or their valued opion, you pick your way through hopefully armed with info enough to help you pick the bike YOU want! I started on a naked bike myself as alot of others, and there they guys that started on the sports bike like your cbrr. Enjoy your choice of bike, your first will NOT BE your last so think about that,and as mentioned above, second hand doesnt bring tears as a new bike will when dropped or scratched.
    Whatever you choose, smile like we all do and enjoy the ride : ) oh yeah, sat morn prac sessions are a must !! come on down..
  12. Thanks to all for making me feel welcome, It's a big difference in having people who actually care & want to help, than dealing with keyboard warriors who are too advanced to worry about the new guys.

Once I finally get my new (well 2nd hand) ride, would love the opportunity to be able to ride & meet some of you.

I apologise in advance if I ask some silly questions along the way, but all part of the learning curve I guess.
  13. Nice to have you along, Wil.

The silly questions are the ones you don't ask. There is, however, a 'search' button, just to see if anybody else has asked them and been flamed to kingdom come...

The focus of netrider is very much around having a few old salts and a lot of beginners. We both get something out of it that's satisfying. There are times when it pays to have a thick skin though, in both groups.
  14. welcome to the the nuthouse Wil!

Lots of great info round here, as KD said, a search can go a long way, but sometimes you just need to ask. Don't learn if you don't ask!

My opinion would also be on a cheap 2nd hand learner bike, i had a gpx250 and they are a great little bike.

Putting money towards gear is also a GREAT idea! I;m yet to do it myself, but extra training is good value to.

THeres learner sessions on each week (i think?) and also coffee meets as well as plenty of other rides!

Enjoy yourself :)
  15. Hi Wil
    Welcome to NR I had a CBR250R for my first bike and I never dropped it. And, like you, I had never ridden before. I believe that you should get what you want, you might drop it, but then again you might not, that just the chance you take
  16. I disagree, part prices for Hyosungs are quite good, looking at here http://www.hyosungsource.com/
    Even buying locally, I was amazed that a new rear brake lever for my scooter only cost about $4.
  17. Really..shoite sorry. When I was dealing with them they were quite dear.
    Good to see that they are down to where they should be.
    They are a much better bike these days. It still will be hard for them to lose the stigma they have.
    But the same thing use to use to be said of Hyundia. Now they pull car of the year in a few categories.
    Time will tell I guess.
  18. Welcome to NR :). I hope to see you around. Check out the Saturday morning practice sessions when you get a chance.

Just be aware, there is a MASSIVE difference between a CBR250R and CBR250RR.
  19. Welcome to 2 wheels mate! I'm a fellow learner and purchased my first bike a few weeks ago, an '07 Honda VTR 250 (Here's my new bike post https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=127226#.TssIXrI_flY)

By the looks of the bikes you've been looking at it seems you want more of a sportbike as opposed to an upright/naked but from my experiences so far with the VTR I can't really fault it and I know I'm not alone in that opinion.

It being naked also saves you, for instances I 'graciously' tried to mount the footpath in order to park the other day only to see my front wheel slip out sideways and the left hand side head for the ground, luckily I caught it and the bike didn't hit, but I know that if I'd had something with fairings on it I would've had more than a bruised ego on my hands.

For what its worth I think the VTR250 is a great learners bike if you like the naked look, but either way welcome to motorcycling!