Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So what if it's going to rain?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Well, 7:15 this morning my brother and I fuelled up and took off from Dapto, south of Wollongong, to visit our old music teacher in Newcastle. He's 78 years old (we were at his school from '62 - 65) and in frail health, and we like to see him as often as we can, and keep him up-to-date with the comings and goings of our familes.

The decision was made to head through Sydney, rather than out to the west to come back to the Old Pacific Highway, and it proved a good decision. At 9:15 we were having coffee at Pie in the Sky, on the southern end of the old Highway.

Off then to Arcadia Vale to visit another old friend, tea and raisin toast and appropriate gushings over the newest grandson, then over to Edgeworth to visit Mr T.

Of course the weather forcast was for rain, showers, wind and assorted nasties, but by the time we left there around 1:30pm the sky was just getting a little bit cloudy and it was 18 degrees!. Up to Maitland and then to the Golden Highway turn-off south of Singleton to scamper across to the head of the famous Putty Road.

I lived in that area for 7 years in the early 70s, got my first bike and learned to ride on that (what was then) rough, dangerous and fearsome road between Singleton and Windsor, but it's a very much better road 30 years later. Apart from a few drones (always encountered in the twisties, have you ever noticed that?) we were very quickly in Penrith, fuelling up again (love my 16 litre fuel tank :roll:), phoning respective wives with progress reports and hightailing it out to Narellan Campbelltown, Appin and home, motors singing happy tunes and heated handgrips pumping out lots of lovely feeling.

620 kms later I rolled into the shed at 6:30pm, packed the mighty Hornet away for the night and greeted the wife. A great day for a ride, two spots of rain at Narellen, and about as good a day as you could have for a ride in the dead of winter.

2. sounds like a lovely day, paul.
    It's good to read of you out and about, considering that you were going to retire from riding :)

3. It's a lot easier to say than do, as I'm sure eveyone except me was expecting :roll: :LOL:.

I actually am finding that on longer rides you have more time and scope to practise stuff you SHOULD be doing, to state the bleeding obvious!

4. I love winter days (well, not in Canberra!). Lovely clear skies, light winds, lower temperatures so engines make more horsepower!
    I have to look into this heated grip thing.

Regards, Andrew.

5. were you wearing blue yesterday? (were you on the GTR?) ~5pm?

6. Good on you Paul, the road heals all wounds. I never postpone a ride regardless of weather, I have read many newbies who do. You learn from doing.

Glad you had fun mate, and some nice visits.

7. Didn't ride yesterday, today first time back on the bike for two weeks. There are a few of them up here, and oddly enough, I do wear blue? :? And that time would be when I was on the bike too? Was the rider a huge bloke?
    Maybe I was going so fast I travelled back in time again, hate it when that happens!

Regards, Andrew.

8. could have been today too, i was up that way last two days. my memory is bad and it all becomes one day when you work so many hours :?
    the bike looked like yours, and yes, a good lump of dude ;) :p

we attempted some remdial repairs near qbn, smiths gap, and the kings hwy. so be careful, lots of fine loose material on some sections of bungendore road (but we put advisory signs up ;) )

9. That would have been me then by the sounds of it! If it was noisy, it was me:LOL:
    Thanks for the warning about loose material, I am used to it though, Wamboin defines loose material!

Regards, Andrew.

10. for a bloke that gave up riding - you sure get about!.

Rain is just water. Used to be very wary of it, but now it just cranks up my awareness levels. grip, visibilty, tolerance of fools, it reduces all of these!

11. Plus you have more time just to "ride" and your not bound by the frantic pace of commuting or traffic. You can get back to what I consider riding is really all about - out there in the country, cruising around, not a care in the world, no place to be and all the time in the world to get there.

Good one Paul, enjoy mate.

12. +1 mate, the essence of riding is freedom, :cool:

13. only one thing to say Hornet ol boy.....

\:D/ w00000t! \:D/