Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

so... was it windy enough for you today? Guess what?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by bikeboy, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Yep. I'm fortunate enough to be able to park my bike right outside my office window. Just to keep an eye on it :wink:

I was thinking as the wind howling wind whistled around and rattled the window frames "gee. I hope me bike will be OK?" Then I didn't think that, I just went on working. Then I hear the clang/thud whatever, and immediately jumped to my feet, fearing the worst. And got it.

The bike had blown over, and came to rest on the bluestone wall surrounding the raised street garden beds. Gee I hate that feeling. From it's attitude I was expecting a nice right-angle dent along the length of the tank, and almost immediately a little pool of oil was forming. Nice. Looks like I've smashed a cover too :(

I raced outside to see that it wasn't as bad as I thought, and it had come to rest on the valve cover, which had broken, and was leaking oil, but this had prevented any body damage other than both indicators which had snapped of course.

I picked the poor girl up, and wheeled it around to the underground car park and stuck her in the corner. I called our son who was home, and got him to collect some parts and tools, and he dropped them off at lunch time, and I got to work making her rideable for the trip home later.

The good thing about restoring old bikes is you always have a good supply of spare parts :wink: Total cost of repair: $10 petrol money for our son.

I must admit, I had heard of winds knocking bikes off their side-stands but couldn't for the life of me picture it happening. I still find it hard to understand how it could have pushed it up over the centre of gravity. Especially seeing the bike was parked parallel to a four story building?

So. Be careful out there kids.

2. I was parking my old bike at an ex-girlfriends house once. It was very windy, so I was trying to find a nice sheltered corner to put it in.

Ex's sister pops her head out the door and offers her assistance.

"Why don't you just lay it on it's side? That way it can't be blown over."

"Yah... Thanks for that... Now go away."

3. hahah

ive heard heaps of these stories...still cant imagen it happening to me
    though my ride is 150 k's :roll:
  4. so whats the solution??

Bungee it to a tree maybe?
    Carry a ramset gun for some wall anchor points?
    Park close between two cars for shelter, or blame one if its blown over?
    Cut holes in the bike so the wind can pass through?

But seriously, if your worried about riding your bike or parking it in the wind, Give it to me!!!!!!!! (Still looking for a new bike and going crazy with withdrawals)
  5. My first bike got blown over within the first two weeks of owning it out the back of my work... it was assisted by a large gate swinging into it as well.

I always parked it the opposite way around after that so it's going towards the stand instead.... I guess I am destined to learn things the hard way.
  6. Centrestand. :cool:
  7. Good to hear essentially no damage (now) :)

My 250 fell over in the horrific storms sydney had about 2 years ago, whilst I was in hospital with an exploded apendix :( By that point the fairing was already battle scarred so made no difference in the end, although the sidestand did get bent in a funny way and from then on started to scrape in corners (whereas before the centrestand would scratch first).
  8. OMG i remember them! :shock:

I remember one night I finished work and just as I left it started to kick off... It was the first time I copped a crosswind hard enough to blow me almost clean off the road. Needless to say after that first blast I remembered quicksmart what theyd said about relaxing when getting hit by the wind! :LOL:
  9. Leave it in gear with the side stand on the opposite side to the direction the wind is coming from wind - so that the wind is blowing it directly onto the sidestand.

Leaving it on the centrestand is far more likely to see it blown over in heavy wind.
  10. +1 ... and it'll fall twice as hard.
  11. well, that's what I figured too?? The centre stand footprint is even closer to the bike's centre line than an extended side stand, so I thought that it would be less stable. I also try to lean it away from the wind, but yesterday was predominantly a northerly here, which was blowing straight up off the bay, up the arse of my north/south orientated bike. Gusty conditions I guess. An east/west orientation would have me parked perpendicular to the footpath, which isnot an option obviously.

I'll just have to take the advice of my always-understanding son and "suck it up princess". Or park in the underground car park (out of sight).

12. Sue the nearest church! Being the local representative, they should be responsible for acts of God.
  13. Not funny mate. You won't get very far in this life or the next with an attitude like that. :?
  14. Speaking as a structural engineer, you can sometimes get strong, localised gusts around buildings. Think about all the air hitting the side of that building, it's got to go somewhere. Most will go around the sides (leading to strong gusts in the laneways), but some will head down to becoame a strong downdraft at pavement level.

Canopies and carports and other things attached to buildings have to be designed for this so it's not as counter-intuitive as you might think.

Glad it all turned out OK for you.

/boring engineer mode off/
  16. Speaking as an architect I think you can blame me for everything. :twisted:
  17. speaking as a Nurse, you can come down to my work if u get injured from such strong winds :LOL:
  18. Surely, best tactic would be to face the bike into the wind and leave it in gear. As for the centrestand, I'd hate to think of the amount of force required to tip mine - I certainly wouldn't want to be standing in those winds!
  19. well. I'm not sure. the wind was directly behind-so direction is 180 degrees. A "freak wave" has hit it from the side and just knocked it over. being in gear would have made no difference that I can determine, as the force was sideways. The sidestand was still down, and I would think if the bike moved forwards and 'rolled' off the stand, then surely it would have folded?

Anything is worth a try I guess?