Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So today I had to put my dog down...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cejay, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Please excuse this self indulgent post. It's therapy for me.

So, I had to put my dog down today....

OK, in the big scheme of things and considering the rider down threads that pop up all the time (please, no more, I don't like hospitals), I had to put my beloved dog to sleep today.

Sally came to me in December 1999 from a friend of my (now ex) wife. Sally was a biatch. As well as being a girl dog. A happy dog, she'd not known discipline (she was 9mths) and thought that running around, chasing the cats, eating my pizza was cool. After months of attempts at training, we went away for a holiday and Sally stayed at a kennel that did training. And then the true dog came out. Sally fell in love with her trainer (she'd doing anything for him!), but she was a changed dog. She was now capable of all sorts of things, was used as the demo dog at school and proved a dab hand at the Beagle Club bi-annual drag hunts. In fact, Sally was 'Best biatch' twice, which, for a pet shop dog seriously pissed people off. Enough to say that she wormed her way into out hearts. But like lots of active dogs, they get lonely and needed company.

Steven came along the following September and the first thing she did was walk over and give him her Tigger toy. And play. They became inseperable and she helped teach him all the things required to get the most out of the Jones household. How to tap the door to go outside, where to sleep, where we walk and how to just look sooooo cute you can get your own way. In short, she was the perfect sister.

When Joanne and I split up in 2002, Sally and Stevie stayed with me. Although the dogs and I were close, we'd never really bonded but that all changed. In those years, we've not spent any significant time apart and became incredibly close. We've done so much together and even when she's being a total biatch, how can you get (too) angry with a dog that has that face?!

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love my animals (I have 2 cats). They are what largely kept me sane through some difficult times. I don't have kids, but these are great alternatives. A happy smile and a wagging tail can take the grumps out of most situations. Self pity and anger seem inappropriate when you have a happy dog.

In August Sally was diagnosed with lymphoma Sarcoma and it was determined she was untreatable. Prognosis was not good, estimated at 3wks to several months. Well, here we are, having spent the last months enjoying our time together. We've had fruit salad, banana's, strawberries, cream and more bacon rinds than she should, developed a taste for toast and been thoroughly spoiled.

We've been up, we've been down, some days you'd swear the vet made a monumental mistake and she was fine. But this last week has proved that every dog must eventually pass on. Sally's been unhappy this week, collapsed a couple of times and today passed up brekky, toast AND bacon. Time to say goodbye.

I am so happy to have had this time with her and not ashamed to say I am now a blithering wreck. But I've got another dog to spoil rotten and two really irritating cats who maintain they've not been fed, so life does and must go on.

2. I feel for you. I have had dogs all my life, so every 12-15 years or so I suffer what you went through today. It hurts, but life goes on, and the memories can never be taken from you......
  3. so today I had my dog put down..

Oh Ceejay........I am so sorry......
    As a fellow Dog servant...I truly feel your pain.
    Just think about how she is running around in doggy heaven......sniffing as only a beagle can!
    Your memories and photos will be treasured as you adjust to life without her. I'm sure she had the best life with her loving owner...and that's what every pet deserves.
  4. Call me a sentimental old fool....but;

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
  5. Cejay, my deepest sympathies - it must be very painful. I too would be a blithering wreck if it were our dog. They bring so much joy.

Keep your chin up you have Stevie and the kittys they still need you and they will be sad too.

6. Cejay, sorry for the loss, was the same when my last dog died many moons ago. BUT, you know what will make you feel better.................

kick the Cat :twisted:

both of them :grin:
  7. Sorry to hear of your loss at an early age. Pets become as part of the family & can/is very sad when one of them passes away.
  8. Just a quick note to say that she couldnt have asked for better care and is much missed over here too.

And to confirm she was a star (after the training!), and the first beagle to go 'off lead' in a training school full of rotties!

Take care,

9. sorry for your lost ceejay . :cry: . im a lover of pets i have 2 dogs 2 cats a fish tank full of tropical fish and a turtle .. best therpy is to get another puppy..
  10. Oh, that's really sad.

My dog is getting on in age, she's twelve & even though she doesn't live with me (a Blue Heeler cross Border Collie would never survive in an apartment) I couldn't think of life without her.

Pets are HUGE parts of family, I can't even begin to imagine how you are feeling.

11. Yo, Cliff.

Today is a sad day. I'm so upset that Sally's life was shortened through cancer. She was a real little bright spark, a mischevious little madam who knew fine well when she was being naughty. Such as casually wandering into the kitchen area to see what was on offer even though she got told off for this time and again and knew it wasn't allowed. The glint in her eye when she looked as you as you would tell her off, and then she would just waltz off! She didn't care! Lol.

I have many memories of Sally, :) she won't be forgotten.

Today she went to sleep very peacefully...she's chasing those liver treats / bunnies in doggie heaven now.

And hey - I know time heals; I hope it doesn't take too long.

12. Bugger :cry: I've had to put my old boxer down 11 years ago, he lived for 13 years, a great age for that breed.

He got too old, but he wouldn't give up being a loyal friend and guardian, so I did the deed. Big tough army sergeant was a snivelling little sook that weekend I can tell you.

Our current dog, a staffie cross, is 11, and is my daughters best mate, kinda filled the gap when her brother died. But now he has a tumor, in the nose.

Vet says it's malignant, it will kill him, but slow growing. They could rebuild his face and maybe get rid of it, or leave it and see what happens. Chances arehe'll die of old age before the cancer gets him.
    At this point he's fine, so were taking him to QLD, feeding heaps of his favourite food (fruit, inc banana's, apples and apricots) and hope the vitamin D keeps him healthy.

I feel for you mate, dogs are a wonderful animal, we humans could learn so much from then, esp loyalty and how to love life.

13. Man that sucks, it's hard, bloody hard.

But the memories, unless you get alzheimers, should last a lifetime.

Now despipte what the MRAA say :p , I'm generally a nice bloke, Cliffy, send me some of your better photos mate and I'll knock you up a mousepad, that way you can always have your hand close to her ;)
  14. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
    Having your dog put down is one of the hardest things anyone could have to do. I've been there mate and I feel for you. :(

Cute little dog she was too. :)
  15. it is always sad to let go, at least the happy memories are there to stay with you. she is going peacefully, so it showed that you are ok with it all.

consider yourself lucky, unlike my neighbor who found her beloved cute little dog after coming home from work dead in her backyard ... mauled to death by the other neighbor's unregistered big ones :(. that was last month and my neighbor is still in terrible shape, sad and depressed, and struggling to get over it (i hope she gets better soon).
  16. Sorry to hear your news cejay, have been in your position a few times.

I'm not looking forward to it when our current animals' time is up. :cry:
  17. Condolences to you "cejay" on the passing of "Sally"

I know what your going through as I had to let my best friend "Sasha" Kelpie x sleep permanently in January . as well as other dogs I have had in the past
    I had her for a little over 18 Years (longer than my wife) and the time had come when she fell over walking round the corner of our house and laying in her own mess when she could no longer get up in the morning to get to the grassed area.
    Anyways enough of my ramble I have just picked up 3 weeks ago a 5 month old Red Cloud Kelpie "Bandit" from the pound and we are now in training mode.

My Vet sent me this just after I had her put to sleep and I hope this is a little comforting for you as I pass it on.....

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick for, though I should lick your hand
    between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn,

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside hearth. Keep my pan filled with water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing, and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And my friend, when I am very old, and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath that I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands, ...

I will always be your best friend,

Unknown Author 1982
  18. Bro, really sorry to hear about Sally's passing. Really sorry.

Hope the loss lessens soon.

Wherever she is... no doubt, she's back onto her bacon!
  19. As i type this my Cat (Caspar) is standing on his hind legs watching the screen from between my hands. I am a lover of animals, they have changed and saved my life on more than one occasion. My past has had similarities in experiences to yours Cejay, so i understand a lot of what you feel. Enjoy the strength and solace that Sally brought to you. Our lives are enriched by their presence and memory.
  20. Cejay, I understand the pain of losing a furry family member.

my thoughts are with you.

It's not much comfort, but you made her the happiest dog in the world during her last months. I know she appreciated that.