Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So....those cheap Chinese bikes?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Eddy, Oct 8, 2007.

1. I'm looking to buy a cheapass registerable trail bike to do a bit of trail riding (I noticed the Blackbird sucks at the dirt) and maybe do a bit of commuting (<80km/h). While I was looking at 2nd hand dungers I came across an ad in CycleTorque for a brand new (KBR or something) 200cc chinese monster for about $2.5k, ADR compliant so road registerable.

Anyone bought one a china bike/experiences? Is it one of those things thats gonna require a rebuild every 63.2km? Am I better off with a 15 year old Honda?

2. mate stay away from that chinese crap.. im actually of chinese origin and i will stay away from that crap for atleast another 10 to 15 years until they get better. You are better off buying an old yamaha TTR 150 - 200 etc etc for around about 3k. And also the parts are more readily available for yamahas. Or you can get some other KNOWN jap brand or european brand..

Just my 2 cents.. I work for PRORIDER MOTORCYCLES here in Sydney.. pm me if u have any questions about dirt bikes
  3. Thanks for the advise. I thought ADR meant they need to meet certain qualities (brakes, motor etc) and be safe on the road. Are you saying they're not? Or do they break down/bits fall off all the time?
  4. They meet design regulations, but that doesn't mean they'll survive longer than a week. :wink:

As always, mate, you get what you pay for in life.
  5. me I would wait untill she was 18 years old at least!

Oh sorry bikes, right so what does a bloke who really wants a cheapo dirt bike buy? :)
  6. My brother has a 150cc Atomik X from ebay. We took it out for a day in the bush with some friends. It wasn't given a really hard time as the boy is still learning, but it was running almost all day with no problems at all. There were a few other people there who had other Chinese ones and they said they were quite impressed with them....theirs were about 12 months old and no problems.
  7. we have chinese motords running at our track for over 18 months and no major problems

2 bikes that need their valve clearances checked and a couple with very rust spokes and thats about it

the bikes are not treated the best but seem to keep going * touches wood *
  8. Had a good look at the various Chinese bikes at the Expo and you could definitely see where they'd been cutting corners. With a lot of components it didn't look like a great deal of thought or effort had gone into designing them and I couldn't see them lasting long. Also suspect the obsession with chrome plating everything is simple to hide low quality metal - and I'm not sure how effective it'd be at keeping rust at bay. They really are pretty close to being a disposable bike - fine for an occasional toy or if you don't mind buying a new one on a regular basis but I reckon the money would be better spent on buying and maintaining an older, better built, Japanese dirtbike.
  9. If it's anything like the Korean bike, then it will be chrome over plastic.

No Metal, No Rust, No Worries :woot:
  10. Well I wouldn't be surprised if the gearbox casing, rear drum brake assembly etc were plastic. ;)
  11. Best to look a little further afield
  12. So the consensus is those of you that have owned/know of someone that owned one thinks they are not to bad, and those who didn't, think they are crap. Considering I've yet to hear any horror storys I think I'll go on a few test rides and decide from there.
  13. Just like owners of old British bikes will tell you they're fantastic and totally reliable ;).
  14. Ive heard "ZONGCHEN" (i think or Zongshen) ? Cant remember exactely - but ive heard their not too bad and starting to nudge into our market ?

Could be worth a look?
  15. Zongshen's one of the largest Chinese manufacturers and certainly about as good as they get since they do make all their own parts. Cheaper Chinese brands just source the "difficult" bits like the engine from companies like Zongshen, or copy components (with varying degrees of success). Not all Chinese bikes are bad, it's just a lot of what we've been getting in this country has been the cheapest stuff - the stuff that sells new in China for little more than the scrap value of the metal. Best advice would be to do your homework on whatever brand you're looking at, not all Chinese bikes are the same.
  16. I'm not going to offer an uneducated opinion like everybody else... I've got no experience with new Chinese bikes.

But for the money, yep, get a TTR, XT, TW or even an Ag200 or DR200 Trojan. All are available quite cheap and have a proven track record.

And yep, i'd go a 1980's XL or XT500 over a new Chinest bike. But that's just me.
  17. I depends on the brand. Some are not worth the trouble and others are great value for money.
  18. Whether the Chinese can build a bike that is fun to own, reliable and can hold it's own against others remains to be seen . Just remember that the Koreans and the Chinese were making rockets when the Europeans were still hurling spears at each other and the Koreans had iron clad ships when western boats hadn't even got real cannons yet.
    Oh yeah There is a 2500 year old stone arch bridge in China that is used everyday and has never been rebuilt. That's kinda reliable.
    Don't judge the chinese ability based on the cheap crap that westerners have specifically ordered to be CHEAP. I suspect the same will go for India as it gets it's arse into gear.
    Be prepared for a paradigm shift in where good stuff comes from.
  19. Sounds like where Jap bikes were 35-odd years ago. No-one trusted them and then kapow! The Chinese won't have the same revolutionary impact as the CB750 did, but I reckon they'll grab a fair slice of the smaller bike market in the next 10 years.
  20. you have to realise that the many major companies in china and india dont even bother importing stuff in australia
    when you look at it in china there is a population of 2 billion and even say even less than 1/4 buy cars/bikes- that is still more than a little country with only 25 mil( aus) and less than 5 mil buy bikes??( random number)
    then you take into account the HUGE red tape and problems it would cost to import the stuff into a tiny tiny tiny market- it is just not financially viable.
    the so called chinese imports we get here are usually the lower end quality brought in by australian businessmen trying to make a quick buck so it is unfair to judge the quality
    the simple fact is that a major chinese manufactor will not find it worthwhile to sell its product here due to the vast spread of the market and its TINYYY!