Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So the VTR250 needs a rear tyre

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by twisties, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Right. Background:

2000 Honda VTR250
    Does buttloads of K's taking me to work each day (done 9000 in 3 months)

It is in need of a new rear tyre and I have no idea what would suit.

I don't trust the standard bridgestone G601/2 anymore as I'm starting to get faster in my corners and I've managed to have it slip away from me a few times.

So, I'm looking for a stickier tyre that'll last at least another 10,000k's on the 250

Any suggestions?
  2. i've been looking for a Pirelli diablo strada for my next rear, but the distributor has changed or something and the stores near me cant source any...

they are multi compound so the centre is harder than the edges.
  3. Pilot road 2 sounds right up my alley.

Should get a decent life out of it with a light and relatively gutless 250
  4. Stickier rear that lasts 10,000km but goes well in corners? Sounds like you definitely want a dual compound tyre.

I had good experiences with the bridgestone BT45, but the Pilot road 2 also sounds like just what you want.
  5. Whatever you do, stay away from the Dunlop Arrowmax tyres. They last forever, but are as hard as a rock and give poor grip.
  6. BT45's work well on the ZZR, dual compound too.

Some VTR owners might chime in soon... :grin:
  7. Stickiest tyre available for a vtr250 is the Dunlop GPRAlpha-10. The downside being that it won't last much past 3000k's if you take care of it :LOL:
  8. +1

This is what I had on my Suzuki Across when I bought it back in the day and I couldnt agree more, it was so scary in the wet I could wheelspin through second!
  9. I've found the arrowmax not too bad. When newish and warm they grip pretty average, but they've got lots of tread and last for ages.

I think the problem is, people keep the tires for too long (because they last for ages). The tire becomes pretty hard as it ages.
  10. I too have been thinking of getting these for my vtr, only heard very good comments about them, along with the others in their series like the pilot power.
    The smallest rear tyre size they make is a 150, the vtr standard uses 140. Although I've heard that 150s can be fitted no problems, it just decreases tyre radius so that you do 7500rpm at 100km/h as opposed to 7000rpm.

Twisties, how far did the original bridgestones last you? I need an excuse to change mine :D
  11. Yep, I had a set of these on my spada. They are super grippy but dont last very long.
  12. If the tyres are the same profile a 150 will increase the radius and lower the revs slightly. If you're changing profile as well then you'll really need to work out the height to know for sure. If you're unsure of how to work out the height, it's just the profile as a percentage of the width, ie a 140/70 has a height of 70% of 140 which is 98mm.
  13. Add another vote for the Bridgestone BT45. Dual compound and pretty sticky on the sides. I can't comment on the wet weather performance as I avoid intentionally riding in the rain, and have yet to be caught out in the weather. Also possibly due to the fact that it hasn't rained in Victoria for about 30 years :LOL:
  14. I agree, if the tire has gone off it is going to be crap regardless. On my FZR I have Arrowmaxs and I have managed to touch the pegs down on both sides so they cannot be that bad.
  15. Yeah it is a lower profile, its 150/60, 150*0.6= 90mm; more acceleration, less speed available. I've only heard people talking about putting them on their vtr250s no problems, havent actually seen them fit though, and whether it would be optimal is another question.
  16. The only problem with putting a larger tyre on a rim designed for a 140 is from a performance standpoint its about 4 steps backward. You are adding significant rotational mass (remember, every lb of rotational mass is = 7 lbs static mass) which means the bike accelerates and decelerates slower, turns in slower and generally makes the handling much more ponderous. You are also fitting tires on rims that are too small to adequately accomdate the size tire both front and back, which means that both tires are "pinched" and thus have a higher, thinner profile than they were designed to have, which means you have a significantly smaller contact patch and thus less traction.

Stick to the standard sizes and find tyres that suit your needs.
  17. I have Michelin Pilot Active on my VTR250. They are wearing quite well (I've had them on for around 6,000Ks (of mostly spirited riding on the weekends) and they are holding up very well.

I haven't been able to unstick them yet either.
  18. Looks like I'm gonna have to find a decent joint for bike tyres near melton and have a chat about fits and find one I like.

Not sure if these are the original tyres, they had a fair whack of tread on them when i bought it at 8300k's. I've now done 10,000 k's of my own and the rear is near bald in the center (I know It's bad). No idea if these tyres should expect 18000k's or not, if they do then I'd get them again if it weren't for my habit of fanging the thing every chance I get :p
  19. The profile was smaller though and the radius of the tyre is LESS than the recommended 140, surely that would more than compensate?