Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So that's why MotoGp riders look so young!

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by rc36, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Because they ARE. Here's the list.

Loris Capirossi 35
    Colin Edwards 35
    Valentino Rossi 30
    James Toseland 28
    Randy de Puniet 28
    Gabor Talmacsi 28
    Nicky Hayden 27
    Chris Vermeulen, Mika Kallio, Tony Elias, Marco Melandri, all 26
    Alex de Angelis 25
    Dani Pedrosa, Casey Stoner, Andrea Dovizioso, all 23
    Jorge Lorenzo 21
    Nicola Canepa 20

Average that out and it comes to 26.44 years of age. Now, stop and think, what had YOU done by the time you were 26??

2. Well, I can't think of anything worthwhile that I've done yet.

I can draw pretty pictures, but that's about it.

As far as motorbiking is concerned, I can lay claim to maintaining the neatest chicken strips around.

Oh, and I once lifted the front wheel 2mm off the ground.

3. Nothing much, just drunk lots and lots of alcohol :oops:

4. still on my way there... but i uh... got my bike and license as soon as i hit 18?

nothing else comes to mind, really :p

5. I cleaned the insulting garbage from this thread.

All credit to you, PK64. You have a maturity above your years.

6. yeah, but it took you 'til 52 to do that?

Let me see. I've only just got my opens. Bayliss retired at 38.

If I can get my ASBK title next year, my WSBK the year after, then that should give me a couple of VR-free years to find my feet and clean up a motogp title or two.

:grin:

But yeah, it's pretty depressing to think that I've done f-all of worth in 31 years. TBH, I was kinda relying on breeding up big and living vicariously through the least-retarded one.

7. What I've accomplished so far...finished school, graduated from uni, full time work, 25 year home mortgage, motorbike racing, traveled a fair bit and enjoyed every bit of 23 years of life thus far and more to come :D.

phong =P~

8. Actually, the question in the original post was rhetorical. :roll:

I'm not even slightly interested in what you have or haven't done, it's the MotoGp riders that I'm interested in.

Melandri, for example. Doesn't it seem that he's been around for years and years? And yet he's only in his mid-20's.

And when the current crop of 125cc riders like Marquez et al start coming into the premier class we'll be thinking that they have been around forever too. Marquez and several other riders in the class has just turned 15. :shock:

9. Stoner started at 15, didn't he?

10. Much younger than that, I think. See his website.

11. Capirex looks old enough to be my dad, even though he is only a few years older. I guess racing must advance the ageing process.

And who the fuk dosen't want to know about my 2mm wheelies. :p

12. Most of the crop of current top-level Aussie riders started racing mini bikes when they were single-figure ages. Stoner, West, Vermeulen, Parkes, etc, all got their road racing start racing in Tony Hatton's 80cc Moriwaki series in the late 1990's. At that stage they were around 13-14 years old.

13. I think you are giving too much importance to the whole thing, after all they are only racing motorcycles, not curing cancer. Remember for most of these guys this is all they are qualified to do. Except for a few exceptions most of the guys I know of in Oz after retirement went into some boring office job and have been there for the last 30 years. Not exactly go-getters.

I think Alan Carter was the youngest GP winner ever when he won the '83 French 250 GP back when it meant something, nowadays it seems any Spanish kid off the street is given an FIM licence and off they go. 15 year olds on a GP grid? What a joke. It doesn't matter how much a 15yo has ridden mini bikes he is still a 15yo, look how many crashes Stoner had in the 125's due to nothing more than immaturity and sudden rushes of blood to the head.

Back in the 40's there were 26yo's who were on their 3rd and 4th tours over Germany, decorated in medals of honour for commanding an entire crew aboard Lancasters and Wellingtons while raising young families. Slightly more significant don't you think?

Racing motorcycles these days is as much about opportunity as anything else but that's a whole other discussion.

14. Fair point, too. :wink:

15. Well said Sparrar. So true.

16. Errr.... No. It is not true at all.

Credit due, at least you didn't claim they won an Iron Cross and got their oak leaves to go with it... but still very wrong and time to go back to your history books... Try a DFC/DFM/DSO/DSM/Victoria Cross - or possibly a Legion d'honneur (Free French forces). Medal of honour is very much American. Bit hard to win one of those in the RAF/RAAF etc...

Bl**dy Hollywood at work again making everyone think some young buck called "Brad" saved the day and WW2 started at the end of 1941.... :mad: although it came as a major shock to me the other day to learn that Australia (& NZ) was in the thick of it with Britain, France, Poland etc from May 1939 through the RAF and playing a major part in N.Africa and the Meditteranean. :shock:

And yes, there were 7 American pilots serving in the RAF (as RAF officers, no affiliation to the USAAF/America - still neutral) during the Battle of Britain (amongst 500+ overseas pilots, including 32Australians and 127 NZ Pilots) but you just know that in the soon-to-be-released-super-dooper-blockbuster-historical-movie, that those 7 "guys" will be high fiving their way sweet asses all the way to Berlin after saving the bumptious brits in the nick of time.... :roll:

Sorry for the flame, but medal of honour... really... pay more attention at the back of the class boy, get off your playstation :wink: and pay some proper respect to those 26yr olds (who no doubt about it did something daily I can only try to begin to imagine having to live through) by getting your facts straight!

As for the "what have you done with yourself by that age" rhetorical question - ask yourself this, is it the man himself that is great, or the combination of circumstances that thrusts him into greatness? I'd say a bit of both - so don't start thinking woe is me because you never got to be an astronaut/racing driver/fighter pilot. Life is a journey we all go on, different routes, but same destination ultimately - depending on your beliefs - but physically we all get put in a little box at some point... :shock:

The famed epitaph "a life well lived" is the most I can hope for - and that applies to your own experiences, as well as the experiences others have of you (including being flamed :oops: ) in this great journey we call life.

Wow, that was far too deep for a sunday evening...! Time for a beer. :grin

17. I was simply using the term as a figure of speech to make my point. Yes I should have said bravery medals but I didn't so, get over it. :roll:

18. I too thought that Stig's response was a little OTT. The essence of the idea is that, while young 16 year old kids are riding in the 125cc class, 16 year old's were fighting and dying in WW1 AND WWII. On balance the racing endeavour does seem rather trivial.

19. Stigmo, you didn't just come back from a tour yourself, did you? :shock:

Personally I think it'd suck either way - war or racing (don't get me wrong here, I'd pick racing over war any day!). Way to suck the fun out of riding IMO; commercial pressure, contract obligations, analysing every little detail of your style to make it better, faster, more competetive.

Stuff that.

I'll be happy with the odd track day, riding on the road, and knowing that I don't have anyone to answer to but myself. Plus, I've always thought being famous would eventually just give you the sh!ts.

But yes, they are quite young. Suppose the reaction times and former success help. That and the pockets of their families, as somone mentioned before.

Cheers - boingk