Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So much for going 'green'

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by VTRBob, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Got this via email last night, not sure how true it is but it makes you think.

Sorry but it is a little long.........................................

For all of you out there in America, Europe, Australia, and across the globe

Who have fought so hard to tackle the hideous enemy of our planet, namely

'Carbon Emissions',

That bogus god you worship name

"Climate Change" or "Global Warming",

There is some really bad news that will be very painful for you to process.

But it is my duty to pass it on to you anyway.

Are you sitting down?

Okay, here's the bombshell.

The current volcanic eruption going on in Iceland,

Since it first started spewing volcanic ash, has, to this point,

You have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet!!!!!.

I know, I know.... (have a group hug)...

it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings

You have accomplished while suffering the

Inconvenience and expense of driving Prius hybrids,

Buying fabric grocery bags,

Sitting up til midnight to finish your kid's

"The Green Revolution"

Science project,

Throwing out all of your 'non-green' cleaning supplies,

Using only two squares of toilet paper,

Putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir,

Selling your SUV and Speedboat,

Going on vacation to a city park instead of Yosemite,

Nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle,

Replacing all of your $1 light bulbs with $10 light bulbs

All of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just the past month.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in the past month has

Totally erased

Every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast,

And, those hundreds of thousands of American jobs you helped move to Asia

With expensive emissions demands on businesses...

You know,

The ones that are creating even more emissions than when they were creating American jobs,

Well that must seem really worthwhile now.

I'm so sorry.

And I do wish that there was some kind of a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud but the fact of the matter is that the brush fire season across the western U.S.A. Will start in about two months and those fires will negate your efforts to reduce carbon emissions in our world for the next two years as well.
  2. Not very true at all.

Volcanic ash /= CO2 (I daresay the volcano has put out GHGs in large quantities but that gleeful rant fails to mention this and settles on the ash)

Burning of vegetation is, by and large, CO2 neutral as regrowth will reabsorb most of the CO2 emitted.

The Chinese were taking on most of the world's manufacturing capacity long before CO2 was more than a fringe issue and certainly before any CO2 reduction laws affecting industry were passed. Mostly because most Westerners want heaps of shit but don't want to pay much for it.

Nah. Factually inaccurate, gleefully gloating and not even marginally funny.

Into the bin.
  3. It also suffers from the same logical fallacy as the "Why drink diet coke if you're eating a mars bar anyway?" argument.

If those people hadn't made the CO2 reductions they mention, and if the volcano really did put out the same volume of CO2, then there would now be twice as much CO2. Surely half as much of a bad thing is better? Just because there is another source of the bad thing doesn't mean that you should give up altogether.

Regardless of the veracity of the science, the logic simply isn't sound.
  4. IIRC, one cruising aeroplanes use less fuel per kilometre (possibly per person, possibly absolutely, I can't remember) than just about any other form of transport. around about 2 litres per 100 km.

hmm, that would probably be per person.
  5. I haven't heard this one, can you elaborate? Surely it's not for the taste?
  6. I think this ^ is the key point here.

Actually, the key point is "cruising" and then it compares well with a car. Other than that, no.

7. Large volcanic erruptions have very large effects on weather patterns.

What those effects are going to be, we will have to wait and see, because there are competing and opposing effects . . . . Anyone heard of the ice ages?
  8. OK. It goes like this. You see somebody eating a Mars Bar and drinking a Diet Coke. Somebody always says "Why bother drinking Diet Coke if you're eating a Mars Bar? Why not just drink regular Coke?"

Their argument seems to be "If you are doing one bad thing, why not do two bad things instead?", but they don't see it that way.

If, on the other hand, you look at the caloric content of the Mars Bar and the Diet Coke, you can say that by substituting one of the two items for a diet version you are improving the situation over having a Mars Bar and a regular Coke. You are basically halving the calories of the snack (or meal, or whatever you want to call it). So there is a very sound, logical argument in favour of drinking Diet Coke when you have a high calorie meal because it offsets some of the calories of the meal. Likewise, reducing carbon emissions offsets some of the carbon emissions that are beyond our control.
  9. Zenali,
    Apart from your "logical argument in favour of drinking Diet Coke" contention, I'm with you all the way. :)

10. Entrée
  11. And then there's this interesting story on the ABC website today

Pacific islands growing, not sinking
    By Philippa McDonald in Auckland

Climate scientists have expressed surprise at findings that many low-lying Pacific islands are growing, not sinking.

Islands in Tuvalu, Kiribati and the Federated States of Micronesia are among those which have grown, largely due to coral debris, land reclamation and sediment.

The findings, published in the magazine New Scientist, were gathered by comparing changes to 27 Pacific islands over the last 20 to 60 years using historical aerial photos and satellite images.

Auckland University's Associate Professor Paul Kench, a member of the team of scientists, says the results challenge the view that Pacific islands are sinking due to rising sea levels associated with climate change.

"Eighty per cent of the islands we've looked at have either remained about the same or, in fact, gotten larger," he said.

original article...
  12. I just think they should ban diet coke,
  13. Hybrids conserve a limited resource (oil) but don't necessarily reduce total carbon emissions due to energy consumed in their manufacture. Logic fail.

Landfill, waterway pollution. Logic fail.

Waterway pollution. Logic fail.

Water conservation. Logic fail.

Wildlife conservation and reduction of pollution in waterways. Speedboats aren't a major carbon emitter. Logic fail.

This is one of the stupidest rants I've ever seen. Even if you don't subscribe to the hypothesis that man-made carbon emissions are linked to global warming, this makes no logical sense.

Ah, the hidden hand of Faux News and conservative FUD.
  14. Nice tirade. First time on Earth?

15. It is saying that the islands are growing as a result of land reclamation and sediment deposition. It says nothing about the islands growing as a result of sea-level decreases, but I think this is the conclusion that many people will have.

Yet another frayed string in the bow of poorly educated sceptics.
  16. Actually the increase in volcanic activity may work against global warming.

The June 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo was global. Slightly cooler than usual temperatures recorded worldwide and the brilliant sunsets and sunrises have been attributed to this eruption that sent fine ash and gases high into the stratosphere, forming a large volcanic cloud that drifted around the world. The sulfur dioxide (SO2) in this cloud -- about 22 million tons -- combined with water to form droplets of sulfuric acid, blocking some of the sunlight from reaching the Earth and thereby cooling temperatures in some regions by as much as 0.5 degrees C. An eruption the size of Mount Pinatubo could affect the weather for a few years.

US Geological service article