Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So many 2nd hand bikes cheap!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by swaytan, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,

Didn't really know what section to post this in so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place.

I'm new to all this riding stuff, only been on my L's for just under 3 months. As a car nut I frequent CarSales to just see what's out there & what is worth how much at the moment. I often have friends of friends etc looking for cars, so I generally help out looking for cars. So now that I've fallen in love with riding I'm frequently on BikeSales etc researching my next purchase.

My question is why there are so many, particularly sport bikes, with bugger all k's being sold by private sellers? I've mainly been looking at Gixxers 1000s etc.

The only 2 reasons I could think of are: 1. The bike turned out to be much faster than the ability of the person who bought the bike. 2. Buying the bike sounded like a good idea at the time but they rarely get an opportunity to ride it.

I do find it really hard to believe that somebody would just drop $20k on a new sport bike without being sure they were going to ride it!

Any thoughts?

2. could be a 'mid life crisis' thing ??

3. Husband buys bike, thinking it'll blow over. It doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  4. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gixxers are also extremely popular, so there is a lot of competition to go up against, people price low so theirs sticks out. They probably bought it cheapish themselves so it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I know a few blokes that always have the new model, so the outdated bike always goes cheap.

7. It is a sign of the times. A motorbike is a luxury item, unless you are using it to commute to work.
    The average bloke would pay $2000 a year just on Rego and Insurance. That’s $40 a week to have something sit in your garage. For someone who only gets out on the bike 20 times a year that’s $100 per ride. If I ever need a laugh I just browse bikesales and look at listing for 3 year old bikes for 13k when they are 15k ride away new from a dealer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 3. Lost licence. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  9. It's now autumn and the Eastern States have had a bit of a crap summer. Weather and season have a measurable effect on the bike marketplace.

10. People are also reducing mortgage debt (if they can) and getting into mortagage arrears at increasing (although still quite low) numbers. There is no confidence in the market at all, and it has become trendy to be frugal. Not a good time to be selling -- maybe a good time to get my next bike....

11. Motorcycling is for most people an optional (as in, not only form of transport) affair. And many of those riders have a lot of disposable income, and can afford to turn their bikes over every three, or even fewer, years. In the car world where a car might cost $40,000, there's not that same choice, so people keep cars longer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cutting edge sports bike drop in value pretty quickly because riders of those types of bikes always want the latest and greatest. 600s are worse than 1000s

Also, from a car drivers perspective, low ks means something different to a bike riders.

For a car 60Mm is barely worn in. Most people consider this worn out for a bike. It's partially true that the high revving nature and cheaper construct of bikes means they do wear out quicker, but it is also a mentality carried over from the 70s, 80s and early 90s.

Bikes built after that can handle much higher kilometers, though they are still 2/3 of cars.

So the smart money is that if you want a cheap high performance vehicle go and buy a 2-4 year old 1000 with 30Mm on the clock.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeepers,
    60mm worn out? that would make them all ready to blow before that kleft the showroom! There is no way I'd sell a bike with only 30mm on it, and what type of bike measures in millimeters anyway?

14. Note: the capital M ;)

15. Sheesh!, Sorry about that
    =D>

My bad ](*,)

16. I wish I could find some cheap second hand bikes![-(

Note - Tight Scotsman alert! My cheap might not be the same as your cheap!:-({|=

17. My question is why there are so many, particularly sport bikes, with bugger all k's being sold by private sellers? I've mainly been looking at Gixxers 1000s etc.

The only 2 reasons I could think of are: 1. The bike turned out to be much faster than the ability of the person who bought the bike. 2. Buying the bike sounded like a good idea at the time but they rarely get an opportunity to ride it.

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

These would be legit reasons for some.

Another is the brag! 'I've got a thou'

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bought a bike, Decided it was not for them,

Work prevents them from riding.

With the Blackbird, Quite a few sold them as the speed and power frightens the crap out of them, 10.2 Standing quarter.

Had an off or close call with a car or truck, Get rid of this very dangerous machine,

Other half or family gives them grief, sell the bike to maintain the peace,

Financial restraints, Family, Kids. The list is endless,

Just get rid of that motor cycle, And I mean now, Hahahahahaha

19. I am looking at getting one soon hopefully!

i don't think these people understand what the bike is capable of,
    they think they are rossi, but they don't even know how to ride
    these machines are just totally and utterly insane
    then they shit their pants and never ride again.

all the better for us! I think its great that you can get something that will whoop a ferrari's
    arse, in good nick for $5-6k!
    how much is a ferrari? (a little bit more expensive)

if you want one, i recommend to put down at least 50,000km on a smaller bike first!
    but do what you want

• Like Like x 1
  20. some bikes are possessed by demons.

• Like Like x 1