Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

so know what?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by enzise, Jul 13, 2007.

1. well i just bought a battery charger. a Projecta (if that means anything to anyone)

know it comes with ring terminals and battery clips, i have read the instructions bout 4 times now and i still cant figure out if i should use the clips or the rings.

a. does it make a difference which ones i use?
    b. if so, which ones should a use, and why (i wanna learn)

if you havnt read the other post where this started from, i have flat battery on 04 suzuki gs500f.
  2. a) Not really, just use whatever makes the best connection between the charger and the battery.
    b) Ring terminals are best but they but don't fit every battery and take time to do up. Clips are quick and easy but don't always stay attached.
  3. The idea is you put the ring fittings on whatever you'll be charging a lot, so it's easier, and the alligator clips are for occasionally charging up other batteries. If you run the socket ( I assume it has a socket attached to teh rings) to somewhere convenient on the bike, it saves lifting seats, tool trays etc to get to the battery.
    For example, I have the plug in socket (rings) on the bike, but I can still use the charger on the cars too.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. the smart chargers have 2 purposes. One is to maintain the battery and you use the rings. If you want to charge a flat battery you need to isolate it from the bikes electrics (or so my mechanic told me) and the alligators are probably better.
  5. ok. well i have gone with the alligator clip things. i ended up taking the battery out of the bike altogether. just plugged it in and it seems to be workign.

it has a light that says it is charging and another light will come on when it is fully charged. any idea how long it would take. lets say my battery was almost completely flat. how long u reakon it will take, i wanna go for a ride 2morow or even now lol