Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So I've finally booked my weekend L's test

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ugly letterbox, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    I've been a lurker here for quite some time. Please consider this a mixture of a 'gday everyone' and a tips & tricks request post.

I've been riding motorbikes with my dad and brother on farms and dirt tracks since I was 9 years old, and would like to head out on the road with my old man (and his poofy Aprilia!). I'd like to think I know a lot about bikes, but realise quite a few have started their riding with the same mindset and ended up around a telegraph pole.

What should I expect from one of these weekend courses? Should I expect to pass if I sit and listen and don't try anything silly? Or will this be like my L's test where the questions were so vague and stupid I almost failed because there were multiple "correct" answers?
    It'll be at the Clyde Rider Training Centre, where bikes and tutelage are provided.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to chat to you all soon.
  2. You'll probably be OK with the practical test if you've been riding lots anyway.

The questions can be a bit vague. It's important to read them CAREFULLY as they can trip you up with their wording. Read them thru a couple of times so you're sure what they're asking. I found most of them to be pretty straightforward.
  3. Dunno if it's the same interstate, but all the questions for the Ps and Ls tests when I did them came out of the VicRoads book that you got from any post office. If you had read that you did ok usually.

I found the ride tests most stressful, mainly coz they are so easy that it's really easy to stuff something stupid up (go over a line or whatever). I also found riding a stupid bloody CB250 more stressful than anything else. Hate having my feet in front of me.

Good luck!
  4. You'll be fine. You will have an instructor who will give you theory sessions. Demonstrate practical basic bike riding and then you practice. You're right if you don't do anything silly, drop your bike or anything dangerous you will pass. The knowledge test is not part of the L session. Go to RTA website or get a Road Rule Book plus one specific for motorbike - study them. All the questions are from the those info. You will need to book at RTA for Knowledge Test For Motorcycles (computer). That's what I did - apply to NSW.
  5. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes. Does anyone else prefer riding on asphalt over dirt? I've got a niggling feeling that I'll slide out easily on asphalt compared to dirt tracks, and I have no idea why!
  6. Dirt is much easier to slide out on than asphalt
  7. road is way easier to ride on i reckon
    when i went out dirt bike riding with my mates over easter every time i braked or changed down the back was sliding all over the place
  8. Yeah, you'll be right mate. And i like your attitude about it.
    Yes, no doubt you have skills, but while your general knowlegde of riding and generals skills will transfer nicely, you will in fact be somewhat of a novice on the road, with a whole lot of new things to learn.
    So leave your ego at home, open your mind and accept that what will sound easy, won't be.
    For instance - i don't believe that while dirt bike riding you ever really considered the phrase "contact patch".
    On a road bike, it is what's keeping you alive, and the majority of road riding time you will dedicate alot of your time, 'managing' that small area of contact, AND, the grip it can or cannot provide.
    That's to mention just one. Another is countersteering. You must aim to become an expert at both, in the long term.
  9. I have had my full bike license for couple years now(i think lol)
    i didn't have any riding experience prior to the practical test... and passed easy... you'll be right!

you HAVE to read the book if you want to pass(it's definitely not the knowledge you'd already know for the car learners..) lol