Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So is bigger really better?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Jem, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Been doing a lot of thinking about ths question now that I am about half way till I get of my restrictions. Seems the norm is as soon as you get of them buy a bigger faster bike is the acceptedpractice. As any of you who have seen my other posts will know I have delevoped a very bad case of Brutale poisioning and have been seriously looking at the 675 as my next bike and if not that then most probablty a Shiver.

That said reading the recent NC700 thread got me thinking about things in a different light. I looked at what sort of riding I do and what I am likely to do over the next couple of years. The conclusion - I am a commuter who does a 30k round trip each day on regular steets without any freeway time. This has been I would say 95% of my riding and unlikely to change over the next couple of years.

So, do I really want to buy a bigger faster bike with all the extra cost that goes with it and have a bike that I never explore or use to it's full potential. Or should I buy something that is more fit for the role it will play? Would have to say that I could not bring myself to buy a scooter even though it would probably be the best solution my heart is just not in it.

So what to do instead is the big question. Been thinking that perhaps the new KTM Duke 390 might be a solution that I can live with, still a bike; looking at the power to weight ratio it should go okay and as I only weigh 70kg in ATG soaking wet it should have more than enough zip to cut though the traffic. Cheap compared to the Italians and that would alow me to go to town in the KTM Powerparts section ( Seriously have you had a look in there....) and still get the bike under $10,000 which would keep the minister for war and finance very happy indeed and in fact be cheaper than my current ER6.
    Link here for more info - https://netrider.net.au/threads/duke-390.137013/

Also it should be a LAMS bike so I could make the shift earlier and end up with a bike with almost identical HP but 50kg lighter which should put a bigger smile on my face.

Anyway just my random thoughts - any comments?

Cheers Jeremy
  2. I guess you'll first need to see if or when the Duke does make it onto the LAMs list.

If it does, I'm betting it'll be a whole lot more fun.
  3. http://www.ktm.com.au/news.php?newsid=1356

It's already been announced as a lams bike ;)

"Reduced to the max! The new KTM 390 Duke has everything that has always made great bikes great: sufficient power, ample torque, and low costs at an extremely low weight. It handles extremely well and comes into its own wherever nimble agility is called for. In short: no other bike offers more riding fun for your money than the 390 Duke! At a full 44 hp from 375 cc of displacement, it's head and shoulders above its 200 cc sister model, while the chassis has of course been enhanced to cope with the extra oomph. Still, the new 390 Duke weighs in at less than 150 kilograms fully fuelled - not only raising its dynamics above many a higher-capacity bike but also making it a sporty alternative to pricey maxi scooters. The 390 Duke will meet all regulations to be included in the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS)."
    • Like Like x 1
  4. What is in your mind's eye when you think about riding? A bike should fit your dream of what you want riding to be, not just what you end up doing most of the time. I agree it's pointless owning a sportsbike if you never intend to track it or ride it that way, but I don't think you should compromise away your hopes just to be sensible.
    Example: When I think about riding I see myself on a stretch of the Great Alpine Road east of Dinner Plain. Even if I only go there once or twice a year the bike that I buy has to fulfil that role.
    So I can't tell you what bike to buy. But I will say that I suspect the 690 Duke looks like it might make commuting a lot of fun ;)
    • Like Like x 4
  5. For the reasons you just gave you are thinking in the right direction, if you are a everyday rider with no drive and do desire for excitement and purely a commuter and I mean this in the absolute most respectful way, don't put your money into the 675........but if you have the urge to release your stress in a way a bike only can you will not be disappointed by the 675, but it seems you are going to have your job cut out with your misses.

The way hubby and I have bought bikes was with our hearts never the mind, but that is our house hold........we tend to be n bit on the looney side of things.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Really this is question that only you can answer. Everyone is different, different people ride for different reasons (a point that seems to be missed by some people).

My suggestion is, when you can, ride absolutely everything you can. Forget about size, power, style. Just ride everything. Then buy the one that you like the most, the one that ticks the most boxes for you.

For some (as being discussed elsewhere) economy is important. For others it might be comfort, speed, handling, range, looks or purchase price. But only YOU know what is important to YOU.

Personally, I couldn't wait to get rid of my piece of shit 250 and upsize. Interestingly I upsized to what would today be a LAMS bike, but it was the biggest bike I could afford at the time.

I know people who have upsized as soon as they could to only downsize slightly a few months later.

No one can tell you what is the best bike for YOU.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. If you are commuting 95% of the time, then chances are that getting a bigger, more expensive bike which sits in traffic will not make you happier.

Having said that, if you have not had the chance to ride a faster bike through the mountains on the weekend, make sure that you find out what you'll be missing before you commit to your next bike.

If you then think that the miniDuke can give you enough fun on the weekend, or that that isn't important to you, then you're laughing.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. #8 Jem, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    Thanks all appriciate the thoughts.

Dollars is not the issue as it will go on the never never anyway and the beautiful wife is okay with that. It was more that I could happily add all the go fast bits without it being silly money and end up with a little pocket rocket to give the commuters in their cages on Canterbury Road something to really talk about when they got to work :rofl:

Edit - no offence taken Spokiesv was sort of what I was thinking
  9. Hubby had a 675..........OMG never wanted to touch it until one day he convinced me just to try it, so my thoughts were....fu_k let's just ride it and get hubby off my back and have a peaceful rest of the day.......well well it was like sex with all your clothes on hubby had to settle for my SV the rest of the day, talking pocket rocket go test ride one if its possible but be very carefully they are demons,
  10. Personally, I much prefer to be on a bigger bike 95% of time.. In saying that some of the best fun I've had on a bike is my postie.. you can go 4 wide into a corner and grab onto each others racks to slow them down or pull yourself along.. A group of posties generally means laughing all day.. I also put nitrous on to the postie, would never consider that on any other bike. Who cares if I blow it up, I've spent less than $1k on it (including purchase but not rego)

Advantages to a bigger bike

1. Brakes are normally better
    2. suspension is normally better
    3. For commuting, less gear changes which is also better
    4. less vibrations, unless you get a twin
    5. more room to move on the bike
    6. They actaully go when you twist the wrist..

I'm sure there are many more but these are the first ones that come to mind.
  11. You probably just need a justification to upsize.
    You'll do it anyway so just pick what you love.

I personally can't wait to upsize (and picturing myself on "that" dream bike) but won't do it until I will have no crashes for at least a year or two :)
  12. A 2008 CB600 Hornet is a great all round bike.
  13. I meant more along the lines of when it makes it onto the official LAMs list in the state in question.

That could be as soon as it arrives, hopefully, but the gears of bureacracy and all that...

I really think the 390 will be a big eye-opener. Even the 690 models deliver near "scooter-like" fuel economy when ridden in day-to-day use, and the 390 is smaller and lighter still, but it has the spec to handle brilliantly and go like a scalded cat when the mood strikes, and all for what should be running costs that would probably feel like getting away with tax evasion. The fun-per-dollar factor could well be taken to whole new level.

Similarly, I suspect a few of the new Honda 500 (LAMs or not) will make a lot of friends for offering 250-like cost of ownership with a lot more grunt, and with a good bit more go on offer with a bit of tuning.
  14. Hi Wayned, fairly much what I was thinking - then add all the go faster bits out of the Powerparts bin and it is going to be a very very entertaining commuter..... hmm bettter look up how many points I still have.....

Anyway will be able to ride on when it gets here something I cannot do yet for all the other options

15. Not just your house hold, but I suspect any household where the partners both ride bikes will be the same, I know ours is. Although my mind does occasionally say things like "you can't afford the 996 and we weren't that comfortable, remember how much our wrists hurt when we got off. But we can afford the Bandit, and we were really comfortable. Besides, your not as good a rider as I sometimes let you think".
  16. titus pointed it out.
    what happens when you have to travel a longer distance. no problem if you also own a car.
    but fcuk visiting relatives interstate on that pissant ktm.
    (which i might as well point out here and now i don't like it much. i mean why the fcuk not just buy the 690 if you want a toy)

you should own the super monster bike with stupendous amounts of uneccessary power at least once in your life. don't keep it forever, because if somehow you hold onto your licence, well they don't forgive mistakes if you choose to enjoy what they can do on public roads.
    but get a big italian v-twin that lifts the front wheel too easilly and scare the shit out of yourself and everone else who sees you. or an r1 and enjoy the panic when you you try to wind it back down to the traffic around you after stretching it's legs.
    it's like a sports car or a fully sick v8. you have to own one once in your lifetime. just for the experience. just for the rush.
    it's all part of the motorcycle journey. dusting of anything else trying on a high speed arterial at a whim, is a rush you don't want to miss out on. get a fireblade and they may as well be standing still.

please just survive that phase. then you can buy a boring and sensible viffer or a fcuking bmw "adventure" bike.
    • Like Like x 4
  17. oh fcuk.
    or a cruiser.
    oh god sorry that's just too sad.
  18. Interesting prospect Jem......

I would suggest not making up your mind until you try something else......when you are off restrictions and test a "big bike" you'll more than likely get back on the ER and think

"I don't remember buying a tractor......?"

Before you discount being a weekend scratcher, as well as a commuter, you need to try it.....ride not only for a utilitarian goal......ride for the ride......

If you've got some time off over the Xmas break give me a buzz.....I'm free until the 3rd of Jan.........
  19. Well ya got me *clap clap*. I looked up Brutale poisoning to see how sick you were. haha its too close to christmas and my brain is fried
  20. The answer is yes.