Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So i'm planning to paint over some stone chips

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by magin, Apr 4, 2012.

1. As the title says, I'm planning to paint over some stone chips I have on my VTR250 frame, and some small scratches around the fuel cock that go to the primer and tiny tiny amounts of bare metal.

I have no real mechanical or painting experience, so I want to run my idea of how I will do this through you guys before I start, and make sure I'm not about to do anything stupid.

As there is a scratch around the fuel cock, I'm planning on taking the fuel tank off to allow better "access". I'm pretty confident I'll be OK with this, there are three bolts holding it down to rubber dampeners and the frame, and after removing these, all I would need to do is disconnect the fuel tube, a breather tube and the fuel auto cock vacuum tube.

After doing this, I'll have easy access to the scratch and stone chips, so I'm planning to give the stone chips and scratch a sand with maybe 400 grit wet/dry paper, prime the area, sand it with 600 grit paper? and then paint it with some gloss black paint from a can.

I'm tossing up whether to use a very small artists paint brush, or maybe cut a 5mm hole in some A4 paper, hold it about a centimeter off the spot I'm painting and then spray at the paper from about 25cm. I reckon this might allow me to aerosol paint the tiny area with the spray can.

Should I sand in between a few very light coats with some really fine grit paper? Anyway, after it has properly dried, (or cured or set, i'm not sure what you call that paint process) I would polish it and then wax.

Is this OK? I'm thinking if I take my time, and not rush, I probably wont stuff anything up bad, but I would like your advice!

2. I wouldn't bother with all that sanding and priming unless you are prepared to do a full respray of the frame. if these are only small stone chips then just flow some paint into the chip using a small paint brush. If you do decide to spray make sure you mask up all the areas where you don't want paint and keep out of the wind. Paint spray will go everywhere.