Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So i'm a little big for my bike...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mav, Dec 9, 2010.

1. so after commuting 100km round trip, day in, day out for the past 3months, I find myself wanting to upgrade to a bike that is more "ergo-friendly" for my body frame

I'm 6ft even and 95kilos and find that my tailbone gets painfully sore and my ass goes numb after hitting the 60 mins on my baby virago...which is a problem considering its about a 3hour round trip to work and back.

so any suggestions to a (LAMS) bike that will fit me better? prob looking at about a $6k spend (incl trade in).

i like my nakeds, and engine capacity is not an issue as long as i fit on it!

like the look of the cb400, but have read it's a little squashy for taller riders,
    GS500 looks the obvious choice
    GS500F has too much fairing
    GSX650FU has too much fairing

any ideas?
  2. super motard DRZ400SM
  3. Yeah, the naked GS500 is probably your best bet, I reckon. It's physically bigger, plus while it's not a sporty riding position it's also more forward than a cruisery one and will give your tailbone a rest.
  4. This is probably down to the fact that it's a cruiser style bike that puts a lot of weight on the tailbone & spine, (rather than just your size/weight) try a sportsbike & you'll be fine I suspect.
  5. Have a look at the LAMS list, see what you like and what you can afford. The GS500 has been suggested, and that's a good one. The FZ600 / fazer thingie with LAMS is an excellent motorcycle, but it's not cheap. Being tall, a trail bike may suit you, but the seats are a bit like the Beam in the floor exercises. If you have a tough ring piece... Go to the bike shop, with a copy of the LAMS list in your hand and have a sit on as many contenders as you can. That's not the same as riding them for an hour, but it should give you a rough idea.
  6. As Bravus said . . .
  7. neked hyosung 650.

Everyone's thinking it. I'm just saying it.
  8. GS500 for sure
  9. if your doing the highway thing id go for the GS500F as i rode a naked down the motorway yesterday and did care to much for it... but thats just me i spose lol

i do on average 70k round trip to work every day and half that is highway, and i can really notice the difference between faired and unfaired.
  10. GS500F all the way dude. Most comfortable LAMS bike i've ever ridder I reckon!

Make sure you get bar ends as the vibration from the V-Twin can sometimes leave your hands feeling weird (it did to mine until I got some bar ends).
  11. The GS500 is a parallel twin..not V..but there is a buzz at 5000 rpms,you can feel it in the bars and the tank. The fairing is a lot more to clean..and a bugger to remove but that goes for all fully faired bikes.
    While it dont look much the fairing does a good job offering some protection from wind and weather.I'm a big fan of the bike.If you are going to do serious saddle time I'd go with an air-hawk seat thingy,otherwise you'll get a numb bum after an hour or two..then again I do have a delicate derriere. :)
  12. OP I am same height and weight as you and have been riding around on a cb400 for the past year. Only around my neck/shoulder region sometimes hurts after a 500km ride. Other than that for the past 20000kms no issues.

If you want a tall bike get a suzi drz400sm.
  13. Check out the ergo site I posted in the general section a few days back.

Shows you the lay out for your frame on loads of bikes.
  14. thanks for the suggestions

took a look at the DRZ400sm, doesn't seem to have too much in the way of having a bike rack / panniers fitted...and it has a small fuel tank (10L, virago has 9.5)

i would definately buy it as a 2nd bike for commuting duties!!!
    looking for a bike that will do everything, commute and carry luggage when needed, as well as being able to go long distance with minimum refuel stops, (GSF1250A Bandit dream bike :) )

i would consider a faired bike except you can fit wind shields to nakeds, and nakeds are less hassle to service at home...

i'd love a FZ6S, think they are really hot, don't think they come in LAMS guise though?

also considering a Hysong GT650S, if i can find one for sale though ^^

and from what i've read the SV650SU has a very sportsbike setup, can anyone comment on this?

so, so far

can anyone tell me what an older CB400 Super four is like?

up for discussion
  15. If you like the Hyo GTS save yourself the grief and go with a Suzy SV instead of the GTS 650..seating on the SV is much the same as the Hyo GTR..very similar...the GTS has standard bars,not the GTS's clip ons so the seating is more upright,but it's still a Hyosung...even if it comes stock with heated grips I wont have another one.

I cant say in NSW if a 500 is cheaper to register than a 650..but in Vic it's the same price for 250 to 500.That was a decider for me between the GS500 and the SV650 and that I'm 45, I'm getting a bit old for the sports type accommodation .It was a Hyo GT that put me in the market for a bigger bike..so, thanks Hyosung for that.

Here's another to chuck in the mix..Yammy XJ900 shaftie, basic 4 cylinder engine that just wont stop,commutes,tours and scratches..if ya dont mind a bit of wallow...and only a basic fairing so you can get at the donk to amour-all ya plug leads,apart from oil changes that's about all that they need.
  16. A word - windscreens are fine as long as you go slow, and find something in proportion to the bike. Big bikes can carry big windscreens on the handlebars if they take things easy. Small bikes can carry smaller, lighter windscreens, as long as they keep the speeds sensible. Do not ride fast on a bike with a handlebar mounted fairing unless it was put there by the company that made the bike. (And even then, be werry, werry careful.) Do not put big, heavy handlebar mount fairings on small bikes. Not only do they look very silly, they destroy the stability and road-holding of the bike, to the extent that it will be dangerous in a funeral procession.

(No, I don't have the scars to show for this one, but I did absolutely terrify myself. I'm very lucky.)

FRAME MOUNTED fairings, that do not turn with the handlebars, are an entirely different kettle of fish. In most cases, they actually assist with stability.
  17. Mav, OK I'm biased but for something different ... what about the KLR650?

I'm 6 foot even and about 100kg. I commute into the Melbourne CBD every day (approx 70km roundtrip). I have put street tyres and a ventura rack on mine and it's working out great. The taller ride and upright relaxed riding position is great for commuting. It has a 22L fuel tank and you'll get about 380km out of a tank.

Compared to the other LAMS dual sports, it's an affordable bike. It's equally happy around the suburbs and out on the open road. Put on a set of knobbies and you have a very capable off-road adventure tourer. The KLR will do it all.

18. Uh, what exactly was the reason for not buying Hyosung?

2008 Hyo 8,000ks = $5,990
    2008 Suzuki 7,000ks = $8,250

Hyosung was mentored by Suzuki in the early days. The hyosung engine is based quite heavily on the suzuki power plant.

One of the best things about the hyo is the frame. You won't bend it no matter how hard you drop it/hit stuff.

Hyo has about 20hp less... But there is still enough to a)put it on the back wheel b) do the speed limit very, very quickly.

Besides, its a hyosung and a little bit different.
  19. Dont buy a Hyo mav

Kwaka ER-6nL ABS

Kwaka Versys 650L ABS

Honda CB400

Honda VT400

V-Star XVS650
    Yamaha XJ6SL
  20. SV650 over the GS without a doubt. The SV650S is sporty set up, the sv650 isn't. I would say it's a better bike all round.maybe a tad pricier though.

Don't get the hyo because Hyosungs are crap.