Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So I want to race

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by ebf00, May 1, 2014.

1. Hi guys,

I've decided I'd like to start racing next year. Not looking at anything too serious, but a couple of meets a year.

I know there's a lot to learn, but my main question revolves around what bike to get.

I'm looking at a supersports category. Is there a particular bike you would recommend? Budget around $5,000. Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. I don't think $5k will get you far. The bike is just one small cost.
  3. Sorry, to clarify, my budget for a bike is $5K - aware there are other expenses after that.
  4. I'm going to take a guess and say you're not fully licensed based on your current bike. A supersport (600cc) probably isn't the best choice.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. R6 would be the most popular bikes on 600cc race grids. Browse the classifieds section of formula-xtreme.com.au for race-prepped bikes as it's usually cheaper to buy one already prepped rather than buying a road bike then converting it.

An alternative would be to look at the smaller classes like the 250/300s. Not only are the bikes cheaper, costs of consumables will also be much cheaper (small bikes will eat far less tyres than a 600/1000).

Edit: I should add that the most popular are the 08+ R6s as that is the latest iteration of the R6 but in most instances that would be out of your budget.
  6. Hey mate,
    drop Simon a line here, or swing past the next round at motorcycle sportsmen if you havent already to see who runs what and what sort of riders you'll be racing against. Be aware of cred issues for any advice your receive i.e. the guy at the back of the pack telling you xyz bike is great or sh1t. Also join the facebook group, I'm sure 20+ people will be happy to provide feedback there.

600s at club racing - dont worry about superstock or supersport, they race against each other in Sporties club, supersport is more expensive to keep competitive although sstk isnt that much cheaper. Being on an older SS bike for 5K could also mean you possibly have an engine/other high strung part requiring a significant overhaul shortly. My recommendation would be get a recent bike and build it to FX600 spec, able to race in both series. I dont think 5K will get you a particularly competitive bike e.g. 06-07 gixxer or r6, but in saying that it's possible to place at the pointy end of a club race on just about anything, but FX prob not given the depth there. If 5K is your budget, just wondering if you have a solid basis for building up the whole budget. Or if the undercooked figure was to get the investment approval across the line ;-)
  7. Supersport grids seem to have as many r6s as all other makes combined. That should give you a fair idea. I bought an 07 cbr600rr as my 600 tracky cos I wanted the lightest bike in the class, but I do get out-dragged down the straights. Also IIRC the 06 onwards R6 has a slipper clutch as standard which would be handy on the track.
  8. Thanks for the replies, guys.

I have an unrestricted license. I'm not on a LAMS ER6n.

This will probably sound childish, but the reason I don't want to look at the 250/300s is performance. My next road bike will be a Street Triple, and that's probably as fast a bike as I want for a daily.

Hence, for the track, I want something quick and something I wouldn't get on the road. So I thought a supersport would be the best way to go (not really interested in 1000c at this stage).

Haha, spot on I'm afraid. Though I haven't even passed this by the minster for Finance, my $5K figure is entirely to get the process working :)