Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So I pick my new Zeal up on Monday..

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Megan311, Dec 13, 2005.

1. And as much as I am completely overjoyed as I have been waiting for this day for 10 years, I'm also nervous...

Start giving me some tips, experiences STORIES even, that you think might be good for a new rider (I know I should have gone onto the new rider forum but i was thinking it would get more attention here. Or just stories, information in general.

Hope you are all enjoying your day,

Megs

2. 4 very important tips:

1.Don't grab the front brake when turning (or you new shiny bike won't be new and shiny anymore)

2.Look where you want to go not at what you going to hit (hurts less not knowing what you are going to hit :LOL:)

3. If you end up coming to hot into a corner lean harder (push on bar more), was told once that the bike will go over alot further then you could ever imagine.

and the rule i ride/drive by is

4.If you can't see don't go (apply that however you will whether be overtaking or cornering)

Welcome to the wild 2 wheeled world

Cheers stewy

3. Thanks Stewy ;0)`

4. Once you have the new beast in your possession i suggest spending as much time in the back streets practicing.

Also, I highly recommend you do some practice on quick stops and braking in general so you have a good idea of the braking ability of the bike..

Slow speed riding doing U-turns and figure 8's are fun and teach you heaps about throttle control.

Goodluck out in the 4 wheel jungle.

Ride safe..

Tony

5. assume that everyone else (cages, bikes, cyclists and pedestrians) is going to do the worst possible thing at the worst possible time ;)

6. my boyfriend gave me the same advice when I got my L's - so far it's saved me 6 times!

7. The the quote from the guys at Honda training was good

"Treat everyone on the road like they're trying to kill you and you might survive!"

8. My condolences :shock: :p :p :p

Cheers 8)

9. Space is your friend - it gives you time to react. In traffic, keep plenty of room between yourself and other vehicles.

Congratulations on the new bike, even if it isn't an Across! :p

10. Megan, it's good to see you approaching your new purchase with such zeal......