Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So i lost my key, what to do?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by wixy, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Cant find the key to my mc21 nsr250 anywhere!

Is it possible to get a replacement? What are my options in this situation?

2. Hmm, those aren't injected, so they don't play funnybuggers with coded keys and that sort of thing.

You might have to get a new ignition barrel but I don't think it'll be a huge expense. Ring around the wreckers.... You might even try calling Honda and a locksmith, they mighht have some way of matching a key back to your lock.
  3. Honda should have the key code on record if you supply them with the bikes VIN.

Or take it to a locky or call one out and go, "here, make me a key for this barrel"
  4. As long as it isn't a grey market NSR250 then Honda should have it on record, they don't have lists for grey market bikes.
  5. Well what about honda japan, would they have it on record?

Or getting a locksmith to make me a key for the barrel, how much would that cost?
  6. I lost my key to my bike in the city. Called a locksmith, not just any old one, but a good one. They came with a blank key for my bike, put it in the barrel, jiggled it back and forth until it left marks along the sides of the blank. Filed it down by hand where the marks were. Repeated this process for about fifteen minutes. Wallah!!! The key started the bike. He got me to check the seat lock and fuel tank, after a few touch ups. (those barrels dont get as much wear) the new key worked perfectly.
    I didn't know whether to kiss him or clock him. Fifteen minutes to steal a bike if you know what you're doing. Chilling.

By far the most simplest, quickest, and probably cheapest option, if you can find a locky who can do it.
    Hope it works out.

7. And once you get a new key, get three more cut. One spare for your house, one for a mate who can be trusted to come out when you lose a key, and one to hide on teh bike somewhere.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. Got to be quicker to shove it in a van or the back of a ute. Even quicker again to hot wire. I'd guess most bikes would be stolen in less than 3 minutes. :wink:
  9. Wixy sounds like your bike is at home at least (or somwhere safe). I'd prob get a locksmith out in the short term. Or if I had time to wait contact Honda and get a key from them somehow.
  10. If you havent already done so *secure the bike*! Incase the keys have been taken and you dont know it!
  11. Yeah sure, who'd hang around and make a key? My point was, the key's suppose to be the bit that secure's your bike. But locksmiths are bloody talented at breaking into things. I wonder how they pick (get it) who they're going to teach.

12. It is a long and drawn out ritual involving goats and paddles....
  13. :LOL:

I knew they were tied in with the Stonecutters......
    I think i've said too much
    This conversation never happened.
  14. But seriously though: it is an exceptionally handy skill to learn...assuming of course you're not going to knock stuff off.
  15. A decent keycutting place can cut you the correct key....

Your bike has the key number "tattood" into it. Usually in an awkward to get to place on the bike, on my CBR it was on the front of the frame where the bearings are for the handle bars.....

Call Honda ........... They can tell you exactly where it is... (by the way, when I had to do this, the first dealer I rang told me I was stuffed, the second one was completely unhelpfull, and the third one was brilliant... I had nearly given up hope).
  16. I second that, but I define 'decent' as 'a qualified locksmiths'.

Most Elizabeth st bike dealers I know will take a bike on a trailer
    around to Barnes Locksmiths or Knights Locksmiths if theyve lost
    the keys. I think they are just the closest, any proper locksmith
    should be able to make you a key on the spot. The process takes
    1/4 to 1/2 hour.
  17. Thanks for the replies guys. I was just quoted $60 by a locksmith to take the ignition barrel into the shop, sounds reasonable?

Is taking the ignition of an easy job, bearing in mind the steering is currently locked?
  18. No... its is a bloody pain in the arse to be honest.......
  19. on most models the key is required to remove the barrel. it is still possible but as above, it is a pain.