Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So I have my full license now...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by foxtwo, Apr 1, 2012.

  1. Hey everyone,

    I've got my full bike license in March this year but I'm unsure what to do.
    Obviously I'd like to get rid of my learner bike and get something that I'd (hopefully) keep for a long time.

    Currently I've got a 2010 Hyosung GT 650 S L which I bought brand new. It has their "sports exhaust" on it as well.

    The problem is that I had an off some time in 2011 which did quite some damage to the bike (but not enough to warrant insurance work because of the high excess involved). It's got a bent handlebar, bent radiator, cosmetic damage to the left side, and some other bits and pieces all adding up to about a $1400 quote from memory.
    It is currently registered (until December), but it is not insured. With the above damage it would seem pointless to get full comp insurance that I did have previously.

    Now I know what people seem to think about Hyo's, and I wasn't expecting to get much for it anyway, but my question is what you think I should do considering the circumstances above.

    By the way it's been a while since I've been on netrider, or any of the VIC rides, but that's because I've been away overseas :)
  2. Fix it, keep it, ride it! Sounds like the last thing you need is a bigger, non LAMS bike, until you get some more riding practice in.

    Nothing wrong with going 'back' to a 250, 400 etc, if you do sell it.
  3. If it serves the purpose for the moment ride it until you see a bike that you fall in love with then upgrade. Just because you have gone to a full license doesn't mean you have to immediately.

    As you say you won't get much for it in the damaged state, has it been mechanically reliable?
  4. I'd fix up the essentials and then do a few track days. That'll prep you for something sharper :)
  5. check out hyosungsource.com and a few other sites that will happily sell internationally. you might find that a $1400 damage bill drops to something much more reasonable.

    maybe post up a couple of pics or more detail on what the $1400 quote covered? If you can fix it yourself (it's a Hyo so it ain't complicated) why not keep it for a bit?

    +1 to Oz's track day suggestion too!
  6. Fix it yourself with parts from the internet fox, its generally not difficult to replace parts on bikes, and if you're not sure ask on here, or Google for some YouTube instructions.

    Oh, and welcome back!
  7. Fox Two!!! Wondered where you had got to. Welcome back.

    Tappin' not talkin'
  8. Yep! Maybe you should buy my VFR400 :p hehe