Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So I had my first motorbike crash...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Kitju Kat, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Riding along in the horrendous wind last night about 6pm on Springvale road heading towards the Frankston turn off, I was having terrible trouble trying to control my bike in the wind. I deiced to move from the right lane to the left cause I was worried I was going to get knocked into a car.

I was comfortably sitting on about 60kms down from 80kms just past the water ways entrance when 2 huge gusts of wind came in and knocked me from the left side in the left lane to the middle (yes I know I should be in the right side of the hand, but I was worried about hitting the gutter in the wind). Was trying to get back over to the left when another came in another from the right and I was pushed out of the lane into the soon ending turning lane. I could see the road ending so I applied the brakes lightly hoping to slow down and stop in the grass when my back tire locked up on the loose gravel from the road and spun my bike towards to right. I remember looking down at my bike thinking "well f**K" as I was traveling further into the long grass. Next thing I know I hit the ground head first for a bounce of my head and was sliding left from my bike back towards the edge of the road. Saw the grass sliding along under my visor and then the the chunks of gravel before I stopped about a foot before the white line of the road.

I was lucky it was busy and 4 maybe 5 cars stopped to make sure I was ok. One lady was screaming a bit hysterically until I managed to sit up from the ground. They helped me pull my visor up and asked if I was ok. Apparently the first thing I said was about my phone, as it was in my left pocket and I slide on my left side. Thankfully my shiny new Iphone 4 was perfectly ok lol. A few people humored with me about the phone trying to keep me calm. They made me keep my helmet on for about 20 mins. There was an off duty cop who pulled over to check things were ok and told some people to leave cause their cars were parked badly and holding up more traffic.

A couple of the gentlemen helped me and the bike up. The fairing on the left side are broken in about 4 places and split. The damage is repairable and the frame work of the bike is perfectly ok. I was lucky one of the guys who had stopped after the accident had a friend coming our way with a ute and was nice enough to take my bike to a friends house for me so we can fix it before taking it home.

I'm pretty shaken up about the whole thing. However am thanking my lucky stars that I am alive. My housemate drove me to the hospital at about 7.30 after we made sure my bike was being taken care of by my other friend who came to the scene. We worked out all the other possible outcomes of what could have happened and thankfully had I slowed down before being knocked out of my lane, when I was sliding along the road I may have slide back onto the road and been run over.

I saw about 6 riders go by while we were getting things sorted after the accident. Hi btw if any of you are on here! To those that stopped and helped out, Thank you! Even though you won't see this :(

So all in all, $200 for a new helmet, Replacing of fairings at a later date as they are repairable and I am still learning to ride. A concussion, sore neck and shoulders, some bruisers and my life.

I will however need to learn how to ride in the wind as I was trying to steer not go with it which is why I was having so much trouble. Will be the first thing I do when I get back on when we get my baby fixed.

They always say you will be guaranteed to come off once in your life riding. Hopefully this will be the only time for me.
  2. phew, could have been a lot worse by the sound of it

wisdom round here is that constant wind is bearable, but sudden gusts are not to be trusted
  3. Kitju Kat,
    What an ordeal.. !!! Glad to hear you are okay ! I was out riding last night and I was surprised myself at how strong the wind was..I remember commenting about it on a number of occasions - unfortunately, I wasn't in your area, where I could offer assistance :(
    Sounds as though you were riding with all the correct gear, 'coz it definitely spared you.
    Your bike will be repaired with time, that's not nearly one-poofteenth as important as your life, your health. On this note, I'm sure we're all breathing with relief knowing that you're ok.
    Stay safe and well and may the humour gods wish you best of luck during your next spin the bottle challenge (y) (pardon my internet-attempt at cheering you up, from a former post)
  4. Don't worry Knickers, I lol'd in real life. Thanks guys

Yeah was all geared up. The hysterical lady that stopped kind of gave me a half hug from behind as she mentioned she was pleased to see I was correctly geared. I would have laughed had I not had the worst headache of my life lol.

Hopefully I can twist the guy's arms hard enough into fixing my fix this weekend so I can FINALLY go to another Wednesday night ride
  5. bloody gusts on wind. i had that whilst making my way from nsw to qld, with LOTS of gear on the back. being in the furthest part of the lane on the right, then being on the furthest part of the lane on the left was VERY scary. in some 100 zones i was doing 60, just to stay upright!!!

REALLY glad you're okay - sounded really awful. heal up quick and you'll be back in no time with your noble steed.
  6. Wind can be very scary. I'd be the same as you, making sure my bike was ok first off, but probably the best thing would have been to see to your own health first by going straight to the hospital. Phew, I dont like reading posts like this, but was very glad to read you were wearing all the correct gear, sounds like you gave the panicky lady a bit of a shock, and I can see why, it sounds like a nightmare slide on the ground. I hope that headache has gone now and would love to hear that you are back riding again very shortly. Keep smiling, now that you've had your first off, thats out of the way now.
  7. Yeah the wind was really bad yesterday. On my way home from work was the worst ive ridden in and found myself get pushed around by the gusts.

Good to hear you're still in good spirits considering. Feel better soon and see you out there soon :)
  8. I'm so glad to read that you are ok after this scare. Thankfull that there were people around that were kind enough to help you afterwards.

Now as a new rider myself, can the more experienced riders give us tips on how to ride with wind gusts like that? I have not had to deal with stuff like that yet.
  9. Wind was pretty bad yesterday.

From reading your crash story I think I'll change my work commute route, too windy along Grand Parade along Brighton Le Sands.

10. Glad to hear you're OK. That wind was just crazy yesterday. Sounds like someone was watching over you. It's like they say; it's not the fall that can do the big damage, it's the sudden stop at the end. Thankfully you came to a stop of your own accord, albeit a painful one. My sympathies on the bike, I know what it's like to scratch up your baby.

Nice to also hear that people were kind enough to stop and see that you were OK. My first off was partly my own fault, partly some loose road, but I think a dozen cars went past before someone had the good graces to crack a window and ask if I was OK.

The wind is definitely something to get some experience in and stay especially careful. I have two or three spots where the wind will just whip you across a lane and it doesn't care what's there already. Those involuntary lane changes can be terrifying if you're not at least half-way expecting it. A particularly fun spot on a windy day (for those that know it) is down the bottom of FTG road at the Chesterfield farm driveway. Boy-oh-boy is that one hell of a wind tunnel there.

Anyway, great to hear you're keen to get back on again. Keep it up !!
  11. I hate riding through intersections on windy days - the crosswinds feel like they're about to sweep the wheels out from under me...
    I'm no expert and would appreciate the advice too, but I usually find that shifting balance slightly with the wind keeps the "top over the bottom" as it should be...

(edit) Great to hear you're OK, and that several riders stopped!
  12. Not much you can do against sudden gusts of wind. By the sounds of it, the conditions the other day were pretty hellish.

I used to have real trouble on my postie bike in the wind. I remember one storm where I had the bike wide open and was only doing 40 (bike normally did 80). Big head wind.

I've found since being on a bigger bike, albeit a ninja 250, i've less trouble. Get the odd cross wind that will knock me around the lane, but they have to be pretty hard. Normally, I let the wind carry the bike but I try and stay put. The wind ends up leaning the bike over as the wheels move across, but I stay still. Instead of swerving into another lane, i end up turning back into mine after a slight deviation. If the wind is strong enough, sometimes you end up riding in a slight lean. Gotta be careful when the wind stops, because suddenly there will be nothing holding you up and pushing you straight ahead. Easy way to swerve into the other lane.

Practice helped. I've ridden in some wild weather whilst commuting and i got better at it after being fairly hopeless to start.

EDIT: But that is no guarantee some big winds won't give me more that I can handle!!!
  13. I remember being on my 250 and being blown about badly, to the point where I struggled to keep her upright, exhausting and NOT fun. Bigger bikes are heavier and I find the wind a bit less stressful, but its still a pain sometimes. Someone told me to set yourself up like a sailboat in the wind, lean into the wind a bit, and so it shouldnt (notice, I said shouldnt) be as hard to handle. Gusty winds are a different matter...... if its blowing over 35 knots, I just wont ride.
  14. Glad to hear you're OK and (y) for good gear and your guardian :angel: who was no doubt nearby :)

I rode from the CBD westward yesterday around 4:30pm and the gusts were huge just after the interchange. Don't know if it's because I ride a big, heavy cruiser, but it just caused minor shifts in my lane. Like you, I felt the gusts coming from the left, and moved into the right lane so that there would be no metal on my right side. Sometimes, I would try to keep a truck between the wind and my bike (on the Princes Freeway, trucks aren't allowed on the right lane).

Cheers, and chalk it up as a lesson learnt!
  15. Glad to hear you're ok and were wearing gear. Helmet, gear, bike can all be replaced but life is a little more tricky ;)
  16. Dealing with wind can be a nightmare, there is plenty of threads on here about it, do a search for windy. On the scooter I find if I duck as low as possible it really reduces the impact of the wind.

I've never found Grand Parade a problem for wind having commuted down it on and off for 3 years, I find it pretty well protected. Captain cooks bridge is where I have the most trouble and I usually speed upto it as fast as possible so that there is noone around me.

The other option is find a wind break, slow down or speed up to the nearest truck or bus and then sit to the lee side of them as long as you can.
  17. Thank you everyone for your support! Much appreciated.

Yeah I should have been leaning into the wind a bit more but I wasn't sure what to do. The big gusts though, wasn't much I could have done. I was just lucky where I was turned into grass and softened my blow a bit.

I didn't start to feel any pain besides whopping head ache until we were in the car going to the hospital anyway. So my heads a bit sore today and my right shoulder is giving me a bit of grief. But nothing that's not easily bearable. Like said before, lucky I wasn't going any faster or I wouldn't be here to tell the tale.

Thanks again everyone

EDIT: I just wanted to add the guys who stopped behind me said they were impressed with my 10pointer nose dive! And how I didn't manage to swallow my gum :D
  18. Glad to hear you're mostly OK, and like has been said the bike can be fixed. As noted the wind yesterday sucked ass in a big way, even on a big bike it was moving around a bit and the buffeting on the freeway was a major PITA.

Best thing you can do in the wind is ride loose, if you're tight on the bars and try to fight it moving the bike you'll find it makes it worse and you'll not only get pushed all around it will be terrifying for you. If you're relaxed on the bars the bike will lean but you'll stay pretty much in place like modern_ninja said above (and how you should be riding anyway). Your instinct is to tense up and fight it but trust me, you only make it worse, once you relax it'll be like a revelation and you'll wonder why you ever worried about wind before.
  19. Glad to hear you are ok.

I've ridden in some pretty windy conditions (over the Westgate springs to mind) and I've also had a crash where wind was a contributing factor (back when I was still on Ls).

I try to stay loose on the bike and concentrate on keeping my vision straight ahead. I don't try to deliberately stear against wind gusts - I just stay loose and keep the bike pointed ahead. When it's particularly windy I position myself in the center of my lane when it's a multi-lane road to give myself a bit of a buffer. Apart from that, I don't really ride much differently - I kinda 'go with the flow'.
  20. +1.
    What happens in crosswinds is that the wind is hitting your upper body, and if you are tensing up and gripping the bars, your slightest movement is transferred directly to the steering. THAT is what moves the bike around big time, not really the wind hitting the bike itself.
    Stay loose, allow room for a little bit of movement and let the bike move a little without fighting it.

(If you have a heavy load on the back the steering will be lighter than usual and that makes it even more sensitive.)