Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So how likely is my bike to get stolen?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Recon, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi all

Ok so first bike is a honda bobber I'm working on. I live in Melbourne and will be using the bike for a bit of bar hopping and weekend riding, not everyday commuting.

I see all kinds of bikes during the day in the city, from brand new ones sitting alone in alley ways with no visible security, through to old beat up commuters with chains on em that could hold a cruise ship.

So my question is, how common is bike theft really? Should I use a brake disk clamp all the time, or not worth the hassle?

Keen to hear your thoughts and experiences!

2. I use a disc lock on my bike if I am parking somewhere I cannot see it. If I am just going to a bakery/cafe etc I will not bother as I usually sit there with it in view.

When I go shopping or to the movies etc I take at least the disc lock, maybe a chain/lock as well.

It will not stop your bike from being stolen, but provides a deterrent to opportunistic thieves.

If you have insurance, I guess it is up to you to figure what is a greater hassle, putting a lock on when you park, or playing the waiting game while the insurance company decides if they are going to pay you.
  3. I had one stolen, DRZ400SM from a shared, locked underground carpark.
    Now I'm paranoid about it and my 2012 DL650 has an imobilisor

I now use a disc lock but I read on these forums regularly that proper crims get through these easy.

Sorry no good advise for you other than park our bike in a visible spot with other bikes, protect it better than those other bikes and cross your fingers.
  4. Theres a few threads on this forum about bikes getting stolen and how to prevent it as best you can..

But at the end of the day if its going to be stolen it doesn't matter if you have an alarm, disc lock, chain etc... if someone wants it they'll take it, skateboard under the front wheel, two people carrying it.. etc..
    The various things on the market are preventatives.. i bought an alarm (its quite loud and it provides the extra deterrent) and park in obvious places... under cameras on the footpath at the supermarket etc..

But its still not going to be 100% safe, there is really expensive alarms around that have gps tracking and immobilizers, if you're really worried about it you could shell out the cash for one.
    The most effective tool for theft is to have insurance.. full comp, that way if you end up being a victim, you only have to pay your excess and get a replacement, whereas if you didn't have insurance you'd be out x amount of $$.
  5. For me, its a Disc Lock. I'm in the Nth West of Melbourne. But, then, who wants to steal a V-Strom anyways......
    • Like Like x 2
  6. i don't use anything for my bike. though according to my insurance the market value is 4g more then i paid for it
  7. insurance is the best security. someone wants it, they'll get it.

More likely good for a deterrent for dicks who are having a lark, sitting on it, playing with the clutch, roll it of the stand - you get the drift.
  8. More likely to write it off bar hopping than get it stolen I reakon.
  9. :arrow:+1
  10. If a thief wants it, they will take it. If there is several bikes, and yours is harder to steal, or takes longer, then they might skip it and move onto the next bike.

Don't believe what everyone says about insurance. An chain/disc lock is much cheaper than excess. I had my nearly new triumph sprint stolen and I ended up about $1500 out of pocket, plus the extra $500 I paid for the alarm this time.
  11. park it in your office if ya can.. i do :).. otherwise i dont even place a disc lock or even lock the steering.. my bike is insurance for 3k more then its worth...
  12. Golden Rule: Always park next to a bigger, better, shinier bike. ;)
  13. Aftermarket lock (disc or chain, whatever you can conveniently carry) and, where possible, park it next to a decoy, as noted.

If you've modified it, it might well be less attractive to thieves if you've removed the more saleable cosmetic bits.
  14. I would agree with all the previous posts , the thief of course comes in many varieties , the "joy rider" who simply takes the easiest target , the "professional" who takes a particular target , usually for parts or rebirth purposes , he is often quite hard to stop as he knows all the tricks and will usually win on sheer determination , i use a disc lock with a very noisy alarm , pick/choose where/when i park although i'm in the country , that not always an option to you in the city of course , try to park where the noise of an alarm will make someone look , but at the end of the day , if they want it bad enough , it will go ,good luck.
  15. I have a dobermann.
    If I'm parking somewhere dodgy I just race tape him to the pillion seat

Disclaimer: One of the above statements is true. Users work out which one at their own risk
  16. Cheers all,

Some good advice! Especially re the doberman. I have a golden retriever and a west highland terrier. Perhaps I could sit the terrier in a tool bag of some kind? I suspect my retriever Sam would not provide the right kind of deterrent, although the thief would have to push her out of the way first as she's unlikely to wake up unless he makes the rookie mistake of going out bike hunting with half a salami in his pocket.... :-s

I guess my real questions are around how common is bike theft really? I mean i can see bikes being a target at night if left on the street, but do bikes get stolen in broad daylight in the city?

17. Unless a bike is locked to something, four guys with a couple of lengths of scaffold pole and a Transit can have it into the van and away in 15 seconds. Broad daylight, busy street, alarm, lock, whatever makes no difference. I've seen it done.

However, as noted, even a disk lock offers some resistance to a rideaway thief. Steering locks are useless. I used to be able to break them without tools back when I had more muscle than I do now.

I always try to park next to a newish, shiny sports bike with no physical security on it. That way, the guy relying on his insurance alone is the one who gets to walk home, deal with the paperwork and find out his $5k worth of aftermarket bling isn't covered.
  18. Disk locks etc usually deter joy riders. Of course it is a bit pointless putting them on a motorcycle because the dipshits that joy ride in stolen vehicles are all out stealing commodores because it's just not easy to impress 4 of your retarded mates by giving them a ride on a stolen bike.

Most road bikes (mx bikes is a different story) are stolen by pros (some are better at their job than others) intending for the bike to be stripped down for parts. These guys don't give a shit what locks you have. If the bike is a popular model and cheap parts are in demand then your only line of defence is insurance. Sure, you can make it less attractive to steal and you should definately keep it in a locked garage but the fact is that bike thieves think nothing of feeding sausages to your dog and scratching his belly while they cut through the chains and carry your bike to their ute.

Everything you can do to protect your bike, is no more than a slight anoyance to a talented thief. Bikes aren't stolen all that often but it does happen and the reality of life is this. If you can't afford to replace your bike, then insure it for theft. It really is that simple. :)