Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So close..

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Captain Seven, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Well, after months and months of waiting, I'm finally in Melbourne, I've finally got my L's, and I'm so very close to getting a bike. HoooAhhhH!!

To make this post less gushy and more helpful, I'd like to make my own personal recommendations to people who may otherwise be unaware.

GEAR: There was only two place I was going to head to for all my gear. The first place was Peter Stevens clearance center. First impression was that the seemed to have a reasonable amount of stuff, but after looking around, there didn't seem to be much in the way of variety, brandwise. Still, the bloke was reasonably helpful, which is why I went back there to buy a helmet.

The second place was Bike Mart. All the way out in Ringwood, it was a bit of a trek on the train, from St Kilda, mind. But worth it. I think it was Cam(?) who looked after me, did a great job, humored me, let me try everything on, didn't rush me and made me feel completely comfortable about knowing next to nothing. I walked out of there with a jacket, draggin's, gloves and rossi boots for $900. I felt like I'd gotten a great deal, because he knocked money off everything. I'll be back there for sure.

The only reason I didn't get the helmet there, was that PS had one slightly cheaper, but more importantly, it fit so much better.

Next? The L's. After a little research, I decided to go with HART. Bloody glad I did too, they were great. All the guys were relaxed, pretty patient, and got me through no sweat. That said, only 4 out of the 11 of us passed. My advice...if you stress about the test, you'll probably end up failing. Relax and remember that everything that you have to do for the test you've already done successfully in the training.

Now all I need is a bike, and I'm very close to hitting the Tuesday night learner ride. Can't wait!!!
  2. Welcome to Melb, NR & soon to riding!
    Congrats on the L's
    The Guys at Bikemart are GREAT!!
    Most of my gear was purchased there
  3. Congrats!

Wow - 4 out of 11?
    Why did so many fail?

At Motorcycle Motion we had 100% pass rate.
  4. Wouldn't be this Cam would it?
  5. Interesting on how many fails... I also did motorcycle motion and so did my girlfriend months later and 9/10 if not 10/10 passed.
  6. My wife and I did our Ls at HART, and in both cases only one or two people failed. I don't think you really want 100% pass rate unless you know that 100% of the class will be OK out there on the road. A high fail rate is not a bad thing if it means that some people have to get a bit more proficient at controlling their bike before they are allowed out on the road to mix it up with the traffic.
  7. akaluke: Well not very many people were confident. Most were freaking out about the test. Not sure why, it seemed pretty cruisey to me...?? As I said, everything we had to do in the test we'd already successfully done during practice. Also, some that passed the practical test fine failed the written test. Ouchtown.

cejay: Yeah, pretty sure that's the guy. He was having problems with his shoulder, and had to go in for an operation. Great bloke.
  8. That'd be the accident from the TT!

Cam is a great guy and is so down to earth, considering he has won a TT.