Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

So a dingo DID take her baby?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by brownyy, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Well I'll be fukd the jokes were right;

So tell me this, if she was 100% innocent, how the **** do they compensate her??

2. I wonder if the same dingo climbed through a bedroom window in Sydney recently??????
  3. I thought the compensation was for false imprisonment?
  4. I have just come accross this case in one of my law books. Its interesting because the high court actually analysed evidence during the appeal, which was very rare at that time as the high court was usually reserved for legal argument.

The book makes mention to the royal commission that found things such as the blood evidience was actually rust kill. Some wierd stuff went on in that case.
  5. I seem to recall, I may be wrong, she got 3 mill for it.
  6. Imagine if we'd had the death penalty, and then they found out she was innocent...
  7. strangely no dingo had ever taken a baby there before, and none have done so since.....
  8. Maybe not at Uluru, but there have been other attacks:

9. How many babies would need to be taken for a dingo to have taken the baby in this case? 2, 10, 100?
  10. only one highly-educated dingo with a pair of opposable thumbs so he could undress a baby and neatly fold its clothes.....
  11. Funny how these cases bring out the armchair experts.

You should read the 1987 Royal Commision. Turns out that a lot of details on evidence appeared after the high court descision to upheld the conviction. Odd hey? The royal commission severly critisized the forensic evidence. In this document I am reading from now, it states, the prosecution expert claimed that a substance found in the car where Azaria was supposed to be murdered was foetal blood. In actual fact, it was later revealed to be a Dulux anti-rusting compound.

Furthermore, it goes on to say that some clothing was later found buried near a dingo lair.

So perhaps she did murder the child, but there is a lot of questionable evidence, and you cannot convict someone just because *you* think they are guilty.
  12. beat me to it jazzfan, there have indeed been further dingo attacks. It does appear however, that none have taken a baby other than that one.
  13. Too right!

I was a teenager when the whole thing happened and like Hornet, notwithstanding any new evidence or information, I have her stamped as guilty.

Illogical and unfair but I can't help it. The case galvanises opinions.
  14. In the 90's while on a camping trip to Palm Valley NT, our group (5 adults) came under a concerted attack by about 20 dingoes. It took all of us to defend ourselves. These animals are not very far removed at all from the Asian red wolf. When they have numbers and are desperate they can be very aggressive indeed. I have never since doubted that they could easily have done it in the Chamberlain case. It didn't surprise me to hear about the Fraser Island cases.
  15. "DINGOTOOKMYBABY" :bannanabutt:
  16. Unlike many here I was in my 30s when this happened, and while one court convicted the parents and another acquitted them, there is nothing to say that the second was right. Public opinion at the time, and since, is still largely unconvinced as to their innocence of some involvement with the death of their child. Remember that three separate commissions, under political pressure and against all common sense, found that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in assassinating President Kennedy while 80% of Americans alone think the exact opposite.....
  17. Whether she did or not, I would not like to have been convicted of murder based on that evidence and the kangaroo court.
  18. Up in queensland it is not uncommon for dingos to attack, kill, and eat domestic dogs - sometimes big adult ones with big teeth.

A dingo taking a baby is absolutely plausible.
  19. An idea being popular does not make it right and correct.