Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Snatching the brakes when blipping the throttle

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by KANGA, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Hey guys, found I had a bit of an issue when trying to blip the throttle while under hard braking at the creek on the weekend. Essentially every time rolled the wrist back to blip I would snatch a bit harder at the brakes causing it to dive back and forth which is not a nice experience. Eventually I gave up on it and figured would be better to try learn it in a slower less intense environment and just clutched for downshifts (slipper clutch's, they work). I would rather try learn to do it properly though as even with a slipper clutch I can't imagine its that good for it. Doesn't seem to be a problem on the road, but then again I'm not braking anywhere near as hard.
    Anyone had the same problem or how I can correct my technique?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I find that braking with three fingers and using throttle with the thumb and index works well for me. Sounds as though you have all your fingers on the brake?

I'm a noob though just IME.

3. You can't really use 3 fingers in proper gloves (pinky and ring fingers are usually "bridged" together).

This topic is pretty interesting for me. I think this guy explain a few things:

4. I'm only using my index and middle finger for braking, I'll give the video a watch

5. If you are braking really hard, why would you want to blip the throttle anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Are you serious?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes.

Under really hard braking a ZX6R, is firstly going to have very little rear tyre contact with the track, it is also decelerating very quickly thru the range of the gears.

So, unless you actually want to come off the brake, with the bike in a given gear at near maximum revs, why bother?

8. Just practice I reckon. I use two fingers to brake on the track and try to roll the throttle with my thumb.

9. That's exactly why you want to blip the throttle.
    What do you mean why bother?? Do you just stall the bike on a track or what? :)

10. I'm not suggesting you stall the bike.

I am suggesting that, after braking, you typically want to accelerate, and you don't actually want to be at max. revs for the gear you are in.

You really want to be about where you get max torque, with some rev range to actually use.

If you are proceeding in any given gear at a given speed, and you want to change down a gear, but maintain the same speed, then a blip on the throttle will indeed smooth out the proceedings.

If, however, you are charging up to Turn 2 at E.C. in either 5 or 6th gear, you'll likely want 2nd gear to come out of the turn, so stuffing about blipping throttles as you change down is a complete waste of time and energy.

11. If your rear tire is that far off the deck its time to get that suspension dialed in a little better. Trust me when hard on it blipping will even out back torque of the engine. But so will a slipper clutch

12. Okay ill bite. That is the most bs ive ever read without a slipper clutch if you are on it like you say then blipping is the only way to get in the right gear on quick down changes without too much back torque affecting the bike stability and avoiding gear box damage. Unless you change down when gear speed matches engine speed and then youre going to be so slow on track its just not worth it

• Like Like x 1
  13. My ZX use to chatter like an old nag if you didn't blip, and hit the blip pretty spot on when you did...bloody useless slipper clutches.
    And yup the thumb. It's pretty much what I use all the time for my throttle. I might suggest trying to take a little more weight with the belly or knees too if your having trouble. Too much weight on the paws makes them hard to use properly

• Like Like x 1
  14. I find it easier to hit the perfect blip when i am on it. But to say its unecessary is just bs.
    (Not directed at you btw)

15. Yeah it needs to be done. The Blip.... In Crazy C defense turn 2 at EC lol. Most times it comes up so quickly your backing it into there anyways. So a blip or two shuffling down ain't on the cards. It's one corner I like to hold the inside all the way round and give up a bit of ground to make speed through three and onwards.

16. This is an anatomical issue. When holding and twisting the throttle the metacarpal of the thumb is used to grip and roll the throttle against the proximal joint of the index finger metacarpal. The fingers are not gripping the brake at all but are extended ready to do so at set up or not. The action of the fingers curling around the brake lever is separate to the action of rolling the throttle.

17. Wow! You some sort of doctor Frac? Love it when something is explained in medical jargon that sails straight over my head. Bahahaha

18. ... yeah .... thats what I thought ... *whats he talking about guys*
    Actually what hes saying makes sense. Now that I think about it I think I may have a tendancy to squeeze the brakes rather than pull at the lever. IE I compress it between both my thumb and fingers. I'll have a play and test out some different hand movements. Cheers Frac :)

19. Hey it's something I only realised recently myself :oops: and that is after being told it by someone instructingme but I didn't 'get it' til I felt it. I was told it but could not 'understand it' until it clicked. I reckon it is weird how that happens.

The throttle is not held between with the fingers .. it is held with the area between the thunb and index finger. Keith Code says it somewhere and I will look for the reference ... no promises tho tonite :) and someone better remind me tomorrow LOL

20. You have to squeeze, pulling on the lever without equal and opposing force from your thumb behind the bar would be a steering input. You'd get next to no braking effect and a lot of steering effect.