Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Snapped throttle cable

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by rich, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Ive got a snapped return throttle cable, looks like its been rusting away for years. I've ordered a new one from Peter Stevens and want to fit it myself but have the mechanical ability of an anteater. Do I need to take the tank off? What tools do I need? any help would be appreciated.

2. Is your replacement part the cable inner, or the whole cable, inner and sleeve? If it's complete, then lay it out parallel to the existing cable run and undo and do up one end, then repeat with the other. You may need to release any cable pre-tensioning at the lever end to allow for the fitting.

of course, with digital photography, if you're REALLY cautious, you can photograph the existing installation so you know what the new one should look like :LOL:.
  3. and while your at it ..oil the new cable,pull of your clutch cable off and oil it up to,,,i oil my cables every 4 weeks,, keeping your cables lubricated will keep them good and last longer,you might want to oil your chain allso and if need adjust the chain ,,if you dont know how to do this im shaw there are guys on here that can help...it might be time to go over your bike and see if it needs any other work dunn .....theres more to owning a motorbike than just filling it with petrol and rideing it....
  4. Thanks guys, does this mean I don't need to remove the tank? I cant seem to get at the tightening mechanism at the carby end? can I just feed it through from the carbs and then...errm remove the handle somehow? someone? help
  5. oh and its the wire part thats perished...are we talking about the same thing here?
  6. Not that familiar with the VTR but given the carbs. on any bike are underneath the tank removing it will more than likely make life easier. Shouldn't be too hard to do though, is usually just a case of disconnecting the hoses from the fuel tap (ensuring it's set to "off" first), and undoing what I suspect will be two bolts at the back edge holding it in place.

In theory the tools in the standard toolkit should be sufficient, but doesn't hurt to pick up one of the basic toolkits you can get cheap at any auto store (something which comes with a fair range of screwdrivers, spanners and sockets).
  7. Or you could find someone with the mechanical ability of a mechanic, and trade him some ants.
  8. But seriously, what jd said ^.
    Most tanks have a bolt or two that attach the rear of the tank to the frame, then the front tank isolation rubbers will slip out of their brackets as you pull the tank back. First, of course, you have to remove all the hoses, usually 2 fuel lines and sometimes a vacuum hose for the fuel tap.
    Once the tank is off things should be self evident regarding replacing the cable, as long as you have more mechanical ability than say, I don't know,.............this guy:

Otherwise I predict it may explode.
  9. That's not a mechanic, it's an eatanter.