Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

snapped side stand (XR400R)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by idontlikemondays, Aug 21, 2008.

1. well last weekend i somehow managed to snap the side stand bracket off the frame. how the fcuk i managed that i dont know but i assume i picked up a rock or something. im pretty sheepish on the brown stuff, i wasnt doing anything stupid so i've got no idea how i did it.

any way, my intent is to weld it back on. i have done a bit of welding a long time ago.

are there any special condsideration for welding involving the frame? or any drastic reason why i shouldnt do it my self. i dont really want to fork out for a proffesional frame repair, not point spending 1000 bucks on a 2 grand bike.

any help would be greatly appreciated :grin:
  2. $1000 frame repair? To weld a stand back on? :?

If you're not confident of your skills just go to the local engineering shop or exhaust place and have them weld it for you for next to nothin'.
  3. 1-where are you based? can recommend someone if you Melb

2-If you do decide to do it yourself, undo battery and voltage reg if possible from frame. Your pumping few amps thru, although its not in current path and its at same potential as frame, but better to be safe than sorry I reckon, as Honda voltage regs are notoriously dodgy
  4. +1

Take time to clean off all the old paint and any grease/oil so the weld doesn't get contaminated.

Remember not to sit on bike with stand down in future....... :wink: