Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Snapped shockers for the 2n'd time!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Thir13en, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so Hi. but I've also come with a question or two!

Last year on a trip across to Western Australia on my 93 Harley softail I snapped a brand new pair of shockers, there was no huge bump just a slight dip in the road yet the shockers snapped, they both broke clean off at the exact same spot on the shaft.

After contacting and returning said shockers to the manufacturer who were just as amazed as I at the snapping of there product replaced them with another brand new set, well here I am around 18 months later and while crossing Stkilda road tram lines (again no unusual big bumps)
    I feel the bike drop and hear the unmistakable sound of dragging metal, on inspection only one shocker had snapped this time, again in exactly the same place as the last two.

After both times I have inspected my bike to ensure there was nothing wrong with the rear swingarm and mountings and all seems fine, I can find no marks on the shocks to indicate they have been struck with anything.

First time this happened the shocker manufactures were quick to respond, this time however I'm still waiting on a reply, so I wont name the brand as yet to be fair to them and give them time for a reply (a week is plenty I think), but they are a well known and marketed as a leading brand in suspension.

I do have a serious concern as to the safety of others using this brand of shocker, I've been lucky as they have snapped on straight roads but if they were to fail on any type of corner they would result in an unavoidable crash.

before I solely blame the shocker I would like to ask a few questions here.

My question are::

Has anyone else had this type of problem or heard of someone that has?

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing these shocks to break?