Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Snapped off bolts

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Phil_ATGNAT, May 26, 2016.

1. I ended up breaking off two bolts for my cbr250r(2011)'s oil filter...
    I was using my torque wrench and suddenly snap... stupidly I thought it was the torque wrench making the sound and ended up snapping a second bolt.........

Anyway.. I have replacement bolts on order but am a bit overwhelmed with all the info on how to remove bolts properly.
    Any advice? pm's welcome.

I may have messed up the calibration at some point as it worked flawlessly the first time I replaced the oil with the same torque wrench. I'm fairly certain I had it set correctly at 12NM.

Attached Files:

2. 12 Nm is bugger all can't imagine bolts snapping at that torque. I would be checking the torque wrench but suspect more likely it was set incorrectly.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I left the torque wrench as is and it still reads 12NM :( It did click on the two that didn't break and then snapped those two.
  4. Nm or ft-lbs?

left bolt. Dremel with thin cutting disc will neatly slot it so you can use a flat blade screwdriver to get it out.

for the right, at worst, you can do the same, and slot parallel to the sealing surface
  5. You need a set of easy outs and the know how to use them.

How to use an Easyout

What type of torque wrench?
  6. Centre punch the bolts as close the centre as you can, drill them out with a drill about half to two thirds of the bolt diameter (EG. 6mm bolt, use a 3 or 4mm drill).
    Then use an easy out to remove the remaining bolt.
    They should come out very easily since they shouldn't be bottomed in the holes.
  7. @ oldcorollas
    It's definitely NM and not foot pounds(I have triple checked by this point :()

@ CraigA
    A cheap ToolPRO from supercheap. 1/4inch drive
  8. Ok, so I will be going for the screw extractor/easy out style. Only real worry is how small the bolts are and how hard itd be to align the drill. I don't have much of a choice so il give it a go.
    Dremel sounds good for the big one and maybe the other too.

I'm going to go through some mild PTSD when i fix this and torque the new bolts.. lol
  9. The bolts will be standard steel bolts, not high tensile or stainless steel, easy to centre punch to get the drill started close to the centre.
    Similarly they won't be hard to drill, use a new drill bit to give yourself a good chance of it working well.
    You won't need much force to remove them, they'll come out fairly easily (as long as the threads in the housing aren't badly distorted/stripped from the overtightening.
  10. Get yourself one of these. They aren't cheap but will last a lifetime.

They are easy to use, accurate, pretty much bulletproof and idiot proof too. Everything your cheap toolPRO torque wrench is not probably! LOL

You will find these at good tool shops or perhaps even somewhere like Repco.
    If you cant find a Warren and Brown, a Sidchrome one ( made by Warren and Brown) will also suffice!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. if they snap off inside the bolts... you can always cut a slot with a dremel :p

I'd have a crack with needle nose pliers or similar first (or small sharp sidecutters to get a purchase)
    the bolts themselves may not have much resistance (unless bottomed out) and may come out much easier than you think!

12. #14 CraigA, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    I have provided one link but do a search on youtube and watch several as you will pick up hints and tricks from various sources.

The biggest risk in your case is drilling at the wrong angle or drilling too deep and ending up stuffing the thread in engine case or worse still drilling right through the engine case.

If you aren't competent or confident with it, I would pay someone to do it. Perhaps a mobile mechanic could come to your place and do it? Might workout cheaper in the long run?

Without wanting to sound condescending, now is the time to be brutally honest with yourself. Do you really think you have the required knowledge and skill set to do this when you consider that 1 hour ago you didn't know what an easy out was?

The smart move might be to pay a pro! A mans gotta know his limits!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. It pays to check your torque wrench often. I see ToolPro make both deflecting beam and ratchet types. If it's the deflecting beam type be very sure you reset the pin every time you turn the bolt otherwise you'll be leaning on it and wondering why it hasn't clicked. The Ratchet type only click one way, so be sure you're not using it backwards. It also pays to pay close attention to how hard you're leaning on it, especially for small bolts. If the first two were fine, but it feels like the next one is a bit stiff, back out and check everything. The torque wrench may not have reset properly.
  14. 14nm is right on my torque wrenches minimum setting (note torque wrenches are inaccurate at their minimum/maximum settings) and practically just a modest tighten.
    Unless you tightened it off angle I don't see how you could have broken it.