Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Snapped Clutch Cable

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by bullet21, Dec 3, 2007.

1. I was riding to work 2 days ago and came to a red light. I pulled in the clutch and heard a click, the lever was loose and the bike stalled. I wheeled it of to the foot path to have a look and the clutch cable had snapped.

Firstly, why does this happen? surely it cant be snapped from being overused right.

Secondly how do you get it to the local bike shop so i can get it fixed?

Finally what im really worried about is that one day my front brake cable is going to snap when i need it has anyone ever had this happen before?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Cables break, thats just life.. but.. your front brake is cable operated? What are you riding.. a pushbike?
  3. Your brakes are a hydraulic system, no cable in there to snap.
  4. sorry im a newbie as you can see, what is the brake operated by?
  5. Perhaps you've mentioned it elsewhere, but I don't know what you're bike is. If the brake is a drum, it uses a cable, if a disc, it is uses hydraulic pressure just like on a modern car. It's not unusual for an old cable to snap - always good to replace old cables when you buy the bike, and service them with lube from time to time. You don't need to take it to the shop, just buy another cable (if they don't have the specific one for your bike, the wrecker can provide a new universal cable - take the snapped one with you). It's simple as pie to replace: just look at the old one and it will be self-evident (get the shop owner to explain it by pointing it out on one of his bikes). Five minute job! You'll probably find the clutch action much smoother and lighter with the new cable!

• Like Like x 1
  6. to get it there - if i searched i couldn't find my own thread..... get it in neutral. start your bike. get the revs up. stomp it down into first. if you need to stop just use the kill switch.you don't need a clutch for riding. just for stopping.

7. Abused, not over-used.

Cables break because the nipple needs correct lubrication. You can tell when a cable is about to break - as you pull the lever in slowly you will feel a "clicking" motion rather than a smooth operation.

That is because the nipple is not rotating smoothly in the lever. If it is clicking and it also looks well lubricated it simply has the wrong lubricant in there. Thoroughly clean the nipple and the recess in the lever if this is happening, then lube correctly.

I use water resistant grease - just a little applied to the nipple before fitting it to the lever.

Clutch (and throttle) cables need never break - that is just poor maintenance. :)

Trevor G

PS Some cables have a plastic or nylon sleeve over the inner wire cable to reduce drag - using the wrong lube on this type of cable can also cause the clicking which will break the cable at the nipple.
  8. shit, if someone told me this like 1 week ago, i would have been shearching for a thread like this. Felt the clicking occasionally last week, yesterday, BANG, and the clutch was gone

O well, you learn something new everyday
  9. The last bike that had a front brake cable, that I know of, was the Kawasaki z1r
  10. It might be a late correction but...

That is just the worst, most dangerously butcherous advice I have ever read!

It's just plain stupid, and since this thread has revived, it needs to be corrected in case some innocent actually believes it. You can either crunch your gearbox or flip the bike if you try to put the above into practise.

Correct method:

With engine off and in gear, paddle with your feet as you press the starter button.

Alternate method with engine running (only works safely with some bikes):

Paddle with your feet to start moving, then push lever into first.

All the best

Trevor G
  11. Some of the new Royal Enfield models still use drum brakes, as indeed to the small Hondas - postie bikes and all that. come to think of it, i think some off-roaders are still offered with drums on the front since most the braking in moto-cross is on the back wheel