Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Snake season again

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Brian26146, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Be careful if you go out in the bush, you might be in for a surprise. We were yesterday.

About 7pm, we had had tea and went outside to look at the smoke from the local fires. There had been warnings of severe thunderstorms.

A few days earlier my grandaughter had got a fright from a strike near our place so she stayed inside.

Pat went to go back inside for a camera, and there was a 2'6" brown trying to get under the wire door at the back door. As soon as the snake saw Pat, it reared ready to strike. It was very similar colour to the mat.

Had Nat come outside she was gone. Had Pat not seen the bugger, she would have got bitten. Had it been a bit darker it is doubtful Pat would have seen the it.

So, be careful if you stop near grass or anywhere outside. They are about.

2. Was it promptly dispatched?

3. Oh Yes!!
    :twisted:
    It was evicted forthwith, and with forth, er, force. :wink: I threw the bum out onto the road. Had he not resisted, he would not have suffered the injuries that he did.

Funny thing happened a few minutes later. A cop's kids ride elec scooters up and down the road, no skid lids nothing. Anyway I hear a 'f^% a snake'. See the kid tear off up his driveway, didn't come back.

4. They are beautiful to watch in their native environment, but I understand your concerns if they're trying to get inside.

CRIKEY!

I came across a two metre tiger snake the other day. Aggressive bugger he was too. Maybe that had something to do with the fact that I was deliberately blocking his path to get a couple of good photos of him.
    This was by far the biggest one I've ever come across, he was truly massive, I hate to think how long his fangs were.

Where i live we get a few of them, as well as browns, so I'm a lot less worried about them than I used to be. I know a bit more about how they move and strike etc., so know how far enough I have to be to be safe. Steve Irwin, look out, I'm after your job mate.

At the end of last year I had to guide my class of kids around a 1 metre brown snake that had fallen into the self-guided "Wet-Cave" at the Naracoorte caves. He was very lazy and lethargic though. Could have been a bit sore after dropping the 5 or so metres into the cave. The kids were pretty cool about it, some not wanting to get near it (impossible not to, as it was blocking our path out) and others getting just a little too close for my liking, and one that didn't get quite close enough, if you know what I mean. (Although the paperwork would have been enormous!)

Anyways, its that time of year for em folks, so look out for em!

5. Show us ya pics

6. there are not many things that make my spine tingle ... well legal anyway .... but ... EWWWWWW !! just the thought of those things makes me whince

7. shit yer, especially inside. My maye had a toiger snake inside where his 5yo sister was in the room - iu cant imagine the horror or doscovering that.

Yah tiger snale can bike through almost anything, inlcuding leathers shoes...

8. my ex wife had those little bastard miniature shetlan horses , lost count of the amount of times i was chased around the paddock by a stallion trying to bite me on the ass ..... funniest thing .... one day im looking out the window into the paddock and here is that same little mongrel running for his life with a tiger snake hot on his heels :LOL:

9. http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d56/pcbigg/tiger.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d56/pcbigg/tiger2.jpg

I've learnt that when they're mad, they'll flatten their neck very much like a cobra, only not quite as wide.

This one was quite angry because I kept shepherding him away from the scrub he was headed for so that I could get the snaps. Its not often you see them out in the open like this, so I couldn't waste the opportunity.

He moved very rapidly for about a metre or two at a time (when he struck out) then he would slow to a walking pace as he figured his next move. I was about 4-5 metres away to get the shots.

My mates got some crappy quality video he took with his digi cam, that shows me turning and running like a scared little girl a couple of times when it moved a little further towards me than i was expecting. I won't post that.

Another tiger I saw a couple of years back: [down the bottom of the page]

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/ewensponds/wildlife.htm

10. Aren't they cool when they are not in a fish tank. Weve had a coulple of tigers in our yard and damn lucky twice that out dogs haven't been bitten when they have bailed them up against the fence. Not bad for mini dachunds!

11. Be careful with them people. Although Browns are more poisonous and have accounted for more deaths. Tiger snakes are very aggressive and will give chance. Fastest I ever swam was in the Ovens river with a tiger snake on the chace. If you are bitten by one, you are in trouble fairly quickly without medical treatment, so I don't think there's any shame in running like a girl when they go to strike. :wink: Then again, I wouldn't have blocked its path in the first place. :LOL:

On a side note, all Australian snakes are protected species and hefty penalies apply if you harm or kill them. Far safer to contain the snake with a bin and have it removed anyway. That said, where I grew up if kids or dogs were nearby the only good snake was considered to be a dead one, but they do ply an important part in the environment so best to leave em be or move appropriately. I'm not suggesting anyone would kill or hurt them unnecessaritly, just sayin that's all. :)

12. Tigers are not nearly As aggressive as brown snakes. The will readily defend themselves if cornered or approached but will quite willingly try to escape at the best possible chance. Whereas a brown snake will very readily turn around, face you and stand up ready to fight if you get within 1-2 metres of an aggitated one. They will also not 'give chase'. Within a cople of metres of them the may come at you but if you step back and give them a buffer zone they will turn tale and run. 99% of the time they are trying to get away. Also whilst you are in the water you have VERY VERY little chance of being bitten as: 1. It is not there natural hunting habitat. 2. they will try and get away from you and 3. It is extremely hard for them to get any sort of purchase that allows them to strike.

I have had lots of experience handling and observing venomous snakes and i am also a local snake removal guy for WIRES.

In regards to the medical treatment thing that is a yes and no answer. If you apply a bandage straight away and lay the victim down you can give them a good 10-14 hours of life and time to get medical attention.

There are far to many stories of people being 'chased' on land by them but let me tell you if a snake can keep up with you, you are moving pretty darn slow. The fastest clocked (on radar) snake in Australia and they also think quite possibly the world, is the eastern brown snake. It was going down hill, on a nice hot day and hit 7km/h. Now that is less then an average to slow jog.

Oh yeah and it is called venom and referred to as venomous not posionous.

13. Dude that IS one WHopping big Tiger. They don't come much bigger. They biggest tigers you will find are on (king? Island) of the S.A. Coast. They only feed for like 6 weeks of the year, however, there diets almost consists soley of mutton bird chicks in the time. They are chock full of oil that enhances and promotes growth in the snake like you wouldn't believe. They use it now in the herpotology pet field to help your snake growth bigger and fitter. The biggest i've seen was a good 2.6 metres long. The guy was holding it by the tale with a outstretched hand above his head and the tigers head still just reached the ground, it was HUGE!