Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Smoothest bike ever

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by YammyBase, Nov 5, 2014.

1. I come from;

Honda zoomer 50
    Yamaha Vino50
    Yamaha vino125
    Honda Postie CT110
    Hyosung GT250R
    Hyosung G250 comet
    Suzuki volty TU250X
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Yamaha XJ6N
    Yamaha FZ1N
    Yamaha R1..

I just had a ride on Suzuki GSR750 in the twisties for about 2houres for the first time and couldn't stop smiling inside my helmet because it was just so damn smooth.

Not sure about the fashionable headligh and I hate the square section budget rear swing arm but out of all the bikes I've owned above, It really was the most pleasurable experience I've had on the bike.

Clutch pull was like squeezing my hand in the air.
    No vibration what so ever on handle bars and foot pegs... etc etc etc..

So whats the smoothest bike you guys ever ridden?

further to this, How do you go about making your bike feel more smooth?
    Some of my old 250 cruisers had this really annoying vib anywhere above 100km/h, side mirrors started to shake real bad, not the mention handle bars and foot pegs..
  2. Damping vibes on bikes is a hard ask; the old vertical twins had a low-down rumble and a high-end sizzle and rubber-bushed engine mounts and other trickeries didn't do much to effect them.
    Thicker handlebar grips help, but given that the footpegs have to be pretty solidly mounted, the best you can do is thick insoles in your boots, perhaps :LOL:

3. Mine :smug:
  4. CB400

(Not NAK's)
  5. if it's the smoothest bike you've ever ridden, and you couldn't stop smiling, chances are you were looking forward the entire time you rode it, and not down at the square section swing arm. If that's the case, try and put it out of your mind as quickly as possible and concentrate only on the riding experience, after all, that's all that really counts.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. And also mine. BMW I6 = legendary. My CBR1100XX second, one of the smoothest inline 4's ever made.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah, I'll pay that. I've spent a bit of time on the K16, smoooooooth as.

Unlike my K13....
  8. Goldwing...
  9. I find my gs500 extremely smooth.... if I don't go above 3.5k... :troll:
  10. My XR650r is smooth when it's off.
  11. When you say smooth? do you mean totally awesome?

In that case I would say any Ninja and like their human counter parts, Ninjas are sooooooooooo sweet. I can't believe it sometimes, but I feel it inside my heart. These bikes are totally awesome and that's a fact. Ninjas are fast, smooth, cool, strong, powerful, and sweet. I can't wait to start yoga next year. I love ninjas with all of my body (including my pee pee).
  12. I reckon my cbr600rr is the smoothest bike I've ever riden/owned in terms of harmonics. But who really cares? I care more about smoothness in throttle response, the YCCT yamahas are horrible in that dept, I found my triumph 675 was amazing for hand to rear wheel connection in stock form.
  13. For smooth, I think the Zero SR (an electric bike) is bloody hard to beat.

It goes extremely well too.... pity about the price and range.
  14. #14 YammyBase, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
    Hey all,
    Does anyone have Harley Davidson Iron 883?
    I've seen all reviews out there online and the opinions of sales people. But I'm curious to find out how its like to live with. Especially in NSW, Sydney traffic, road condition, highway rides, putty road rides, insurance, noise, comfort, sitting position, anything , everything etc etc.

I come from couple scooters, M50 VZ800, FZ1N, GSR 750 etc.

Thanks in advance guys.
    I'm really close to getting one new,, instead of yamaha bolt (if you followed my other posts).

<edit> Pls read the sticky thread: https://netrider.net.au/threads/bike-reviews-questions-suggestions-do-not-belong-in-general.144168/
  15. I've ridden an Iron 883 and I really liked it. But it definitely isn't smooth. I liked the rumble going through the whole bike but I don't know how long I could live with that. The brakes suck, the bike didn't feel like it was going to stop until right at the end of the braking zone. I thought the seating position was pretty relaxed and comfortable but I didn't ride it for long. The Bolt outperforms the Iron in every way except for looks and cool.
  16. If by 'smooth' you mean plush and refined, then BMW K1300R. I test-rode one when I was considering a big naked (before I settled on a megatard) and it was cosy. I imagine the S model would be even more so, let alone the K1600 tourers.

Start by buying something with a smooth engine. Not a lot you can do with the engine that's inherently lumpy like a single or an unbalanced twin. More cylinders is usually smoother. Rubber mounts will take care of any minor vibrations.

Irregular throttle response like surging or hesitation can create a sense of 'roughness' so fixing the fuelling could make it smoother.

Sort out the suspension so the ride is compliant but controlled.

You don't want grabby brakes so pick a pad compound with softer initial bite.

You can soften the clutch action by fitting lighter springs. But not too light or you might get slippage. Keep the cable lubed (if it's a cable clutch).

Thicker rubber in the grips and footpegs/boards. More and better padding in the seat. Some bikes have rubberised handlebar mounts to take the edge off the steering response.

... or you could just buy a Goldwing.
  17. The electric bikes have it down pat. The 2 petrol bikes i have ridden had my hands numb after 1hr.
  18. Abso-bloody-lutely.......... the trouble is that few of the electric bikes, if ridden, shall we say "spiritedly", will still be going after an hour or so. :-(
  19. Smooth enough??
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Benelli 750 Sei