Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Smoke on wet days

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by tonee, Aug 11, 2010.

1. On cold raining days I get white smoke coming out from the from when parked stationary. Doesn't seem to be something I should worry about because its just white smoke and probably the rain droplets hitting the hot radiator........right?

2. Sounds like water/rain hitting the exhaust manifold & turning to steam. No biggie.
  3. I had this happen to me one morning all the steam was coming straight up between the instruments and fuel tank and it was so thick i couldn't see in front of me, i honestly thought something was on fire.
  4. This thread was done not to long ago.
    Basically because the engine is quite exposed water gets onto it easily and steams up. Water on radiator as you mentioned is very likely or the header pipes.
  5. Yeah I was told by the dealer I got my bike from its just condensation, it will happen on cold mornings or in the wet and should stop once the bike is warmed up
  6. If its steam, don't worry.
    If its smoke, you have to be very careful as it will have escaped from your wiring. You need to catch all the smoke in a suitable container and get it put back in or your electrics won't work. Replacement smoke is very expensive. Never use cheap substitute smoke made by Lucas, it only works in old British bikes.
  7. Hahahahahahaahahahahahahaha
  8. This happens to me with my 09 cbr600rr frequently in rain.. it even smells funny.
  9. My high school IT teacher had a saying like that.
    Everything electrical runs on smoke, once the smoke escapes you're fuked
  10. Never release the magic smoke.
  11. This is an old wives tale.

The fact is Lucas smoke never worked in old British bikes either!