Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SMIDSY'd - not close, but close enough.

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Fenner, May 23, 2011.

1. So. Riding home last a couple of nights ago, 'bout 11pm. Had turned off the main road, and was on the circuit of suburban 50km backstreets that take me home from there. The road I was on has a lot of T-junctions from either side, only medium sized trees on the footpaths (if any vegetation at all), and reasonable lighting.

So, riding just a little under the limit, a white hatchback was approaching from one of the left-hand side roads. He stopped, so I wasn't worried, then just as I passed the last driveway before the road he was on, he moved forward (RH turn, no indicator)

Brakes come on (only my second real-life e-braking). He stops, realises I am there, waves. I start to move off again, and do the "naughty child" finger wave (am a little peeved).

1st - Yeah, even though he had stopped, I maybe should have still anticipated that better.

2nd - No screeching, no stall - kinda proud of that stop in a way!

3rd - Only realised that I had moved into the centre of the road, after I took off again and had to move back towards the left, to be back where I prefer to sit. Hopefully that means that it was instinctive, and not a result of the way I braked. Lucky it was late, and no on-coming vehicles around.

4th - I maintain it was the stupid hat he was wearing. If he took his hat off when the sun went down, he might be able to see other vehicles on the road.

Any thing else I should keep in mind, should (when) this happens again?
  2. One of my mother's best pieces of driving advice... "Never trust a driver with a hat on."

The one that shits me even more is hoodies, even if they turn their head they're just looking at cloth...
  3. consider his line of sight from the corner.
    you would be more visible apon your approach from the right side of your lane.

there are generally more risks if you normally default to the left or curb side.
    -you are less visible to oncomming traffic on the opposite side of the road if there are vehicles ahead of you.
    -you are less visible, or rather enter the vision later, of cars entering the lane from intersecting streets/driveways to the left.
    -cagers who try to share your lane, as they sometimes do, will force you into the curb.
    -you can't swerve around a vehicle ahead of you that stops suddenly, without swerving to the curb side, which is bad, generally painful.
    -you have a lesser chance of avoiding anything that comes out of a driveway, beit animal, mineral or vegetable.
    -theres more likely to be crap on the road on the curb side, grass clippings for eg.
    -you can change lanes quicker if neccessary if you are further to the right.
    -also note how when cages pull up to enter the road, they stick their bonnents right out into the road because they are retarded.

i could go on, but generally i would default to the right hand side of the road if i was riding in the curb side lane. and generally i will avoid the curb side lane. one should still move around, own your space. how far over to the right is dictated by how close you are to the vehicle ahead of you and the vehicle behind you. if you're close to the one ahead, be further over to the right. they brake quicker than us. we need to swerve to avoid sometimes. if theres a car close behind you be further to the left, but pref still right of center, otherwise it may try to undertake you, again, because they are retards.

always remember, all drivers are mentally retarded and don't ever let them fool you into believing otherwise. they cannot be trusted.
  4. note when i say "close". you never want to be close enough to the car ahead of you in a single lane, so as you would not be able to quickly get around the left of it.
    if that car brakes to turn right (won't indicate but you will get brake lights at least) you don't want to be over to the right.
    because his brethren retard car behind you is not slowing down. he's going around the car to the left. you don't want to get pinned in there.
    if you know what you are doing you will never find yourself tailgating anyone on a motorcycle. will never need to.
  5. once you get away from the main roads a lot of people drive by habit. rarely any traffic so they don't pay attention. seeing a bike can jam their heads up. they just don't recognise us as a threat. stay alert and cover your brakes.
  6. at least you stayed upright and took it as a learning experience... :D
  7. Thanks, all. And Monkeyman - I guess I forget that, since the roads in my suburb don't have lanes once you leave the main ones! I usually stay sort of towards the centre - helps to avoid the parked cars, and the service covers in the road (some are a couple of inches below road level - even in the car you get a serious jolt from them), but I was shocked to see how far across the road I had really gone on this occasion - especially since I wasn't actively thinking "must move around this di*kwad".

You are absolutely right, though. Staying further across in general will make me a little easier to see - especially during the day when more cars are parked on the side.

And I like your point about the tailgaiting. Having only just moved back to Adelaide, and even though I always knew about how bad tailgaiting got when you got past Pt Wakefield, I am still shocked by the fact that if you leave more than a car length between you and the car in front @ 60kph, you are seen as fair game for pretty much anything. Going to end the bitching about this now - I am trying to stay positive, and try to look for more positive examples on the road. Addition: This is for the sake of my own sanity and attitude on the road! I ride/drive better naturally when I am not stressed
  8. advice passed down from my grand mother to my mother to me, too.