Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SMIDSY? Nice try, but not today!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by bulby, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Just thought I'd share my experience with you guys :)

On the way to work this morning, I anticipated and avoided a potential SMIDSY situation on the freeway. The situation itself was actually scary, now that I think about it. But it wasn't exactly hair-raising since it happened exactly as I've expected.

It all started with me noticing the cage 2 lanes to my left (on my 10 o'clock direction) started indicating right soon after they started inching to the right-hand edge of their lane. I'm not exactly sure why or how, but I somehow knew he was going to gun it all the way straight onto my lane. So I checked and confirmed that cage behind me was pretty far away, squeezed my brakes, and sure enough they switched 2 lanes right on top of where I would have been had I not hit the brakes, not even realising how I've just dodged his rear bumper by 6".

Moral of the story: Stay alert, stay alive. And peripheral vision saves lives!

2. Was the driver on the phone when you rode past?

3. This should be in "Near Misses".....

4. Good work Bulby.

By the way, do you wear hi viz? Is your bike brighly coloured? Do you have bright coloured gear?

{thread moved}

5. this is a daily thing for me.. i ride like every cage is out to kill me.. my eyes are like a kangaroos in a spot light

6. Just needed a m*ther F***ing air horn to scare the sh*t outta them afterwards. Or a nice kick to their rear panel....

The problem with not scaring them enough is they will just do it again.

7. Was tossing between the "Near miss" subforum or here. Thought the newer riders might learn a thing or two from my experience (I'm new too).

I wear a white leather jacket (black everything else), and my Across is bright blue / blue-green / teal. Standard pipe, but still pretty loud. I was probably the loudest thing around at the time, except for the truck some 7-8 cars behind us.

Driver guy was chatting away with his mate who was sitting in the passenger seat beside him.

I actually thought about clutch-in + revs, since my horn can only do wimpy "meep-meep"s. Then again, too much effort and guy would still have no clue what just happened. So yeah. I settled for the slow "le sigh" head shake instead.

8. Cool. Was just wondering how conspicuous you were... Being bright didn't seem to help in this case. Being loud didn't seem to help either... Seems being alert did :)

9. good to hear you avoided that one. Its comforting when your prepared for and not surprised by someones warped take on road craft. now rinse and repeat