Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

smart battery chargers

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by twistngo, Sep 8, 2006.

1. hi, I'm looking at getting a smart battery charger, maybe the optimate III but there are a lot of them about at prices ranging from $30 or so on ebay to $100+. Has anyone used one or can suggest what I should get? I travel a bit and the bike will be sitting in the shed for up to a month without being ridden.

2. Don't know about charger brands, but on the info sheet I got with my new battery, told me not to use them, as it would shorten the batteries life. No idea about the truth in that though.

Ross.

3. I have used a 'Battery Mate', for years to keep the battery in my vintage aircraft topped-up when not in use. I works extremely well. When I went to Sweden I disconnected it from the aircraft and transferred to my old BMW R60/6 which normally won't go more than a week unridden before the battery is flat. I started first push on my return.

4. Strongly recommended, I use one mainly because I have too little time and too many bikes to ride them enough to keep the batteries well charged.