Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Small leak in water pump housing..... Please help

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Noticibly F.A.T, Jan 21, 2008.

1. A bike i'm thinking of buying has a small leak in the water pump housing. Its just seeping out from the bottom, and dripping slowly

Its a Yamaha FZR 250, 89 model.

There is also a water mark on the top of the radiator, not near any hoses or anything.

Any idea how much this would cost to fix, assuming it just a gasket or something?

Also, it needs new front brake pads, and possibly rear pads pretty soon. Any idea how much this would cost?

Thanks in advance! :) Luke.
  2. The seal on the water pump has failed. It could "let go" under the 10-14 psi pressure from the hot coolant at any time without further warning.

You have to replace the water pump itself. Sometimes clever people go to a lot of trouble to replace the seal because they can. A normal mechanic won't/can't do that.

I can't give you a price, but I can give you the above warning! :)

Trevor G

PS If it lets go while riding you could be stranded. It is a must-replace item, since when it goes the coolant could all leak out in about 10 - 20 seconds
  3. You know that about the FZR specifically? This has happened to me a couple of times (not a FZR though) and all that was needed was to replace the seal, does the FZR have a sealed unit that can't be dismantled?
  4. Got a quote to replace the whole pump. About $165 in parts.

Doesn't matter anyway. Someone else bought the bike for more than its worth (probably didn't realise it was leaking)

I hate the fact that people think 20yo 250cc bikes are worth a mint.... :(