Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Small Cars

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Dorso, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Now, whilst commuting on Sydney's congested roads, filtering at every given opportunity, I have discovered an amazing fact. The size of the gap between cars is directly disproportional to the actual size of the car. I can breeze between a Range Rover and Hills bus but fcuk me, if two Suzuki Swifts are side by side, it is near impossible.

What is the go with these tiny shit boxes?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Maybe they're like a reverse tardis. Small on the inside and huge on the outside?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. It is a driver perception thing, when a driver is in a large car they tend to maintain separation between vehicled and move to the centre of the lane. In smaller cars they approach each other closer and have a wider range of lane positions. This tends to mean they will close space between themselves and prevent you getting by.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. I may or may not have taken to lightly tapping on the windows of cars parked on the centre line as I filter past these days with my carbon knuckled gloves.

But yeah I know what you mean. I've also found 3 lane roads are harder to filter on as the car in the centre drifts in between both lanes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. It's a quantum physics thing. There was a theory "the smaller the car, the less determinate it's position in space", but that theory was superceded by "the smaller the car, the less determinate the drivers' brain position in head space".
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Simple. Cars are magnetic. Smaller cars are light enough to draw together. Bigger cars, busses, etc, are too heavy to be pulled in.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it!
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I'm confused. Isn't the Range Rover the shitbox?
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ^^^^^have to agree with that!
  9. They are all shitboxes mate.....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nah, they're just arseholes that want to block filtering and refuse to understand the benefits to all commuters
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I wouldn't call range rovers shit boxes, they might break down a lot but the are still cool, just ask Jeremy Clarkson
  12. yeah right, got a flat tyre? flat battery? ring for help...cant drive it anywhere...lol
  13. TBH all modern cars are very reliable compared to cars from 70s and the early 80s, but I will still take the piss.

Eeuropean cars still have electronics problems, but these days they are more glitches than full stops.

p.s. I'm not filtering yet as I'm waiting till I'm more confident (am super new), but I just found the description and wording so amusing ;)
  15. Officially you have to wait until your P plates Jude.
  16. I actually didn't know that! They didn't tell us that during the Ls course...

Thanks for the info :)
  17. I don't know about other states, but in NSW you must be a full licence holder before you can filter. L's, Red and Green P plate riders are not permitted to filter in NSW.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Same here: New Rules To Make Lane Filtering Safe And Legal

"The changes include permitted filtering:
    • between lanes or lines of traffic in the same direction
    • between lanes or lines of traffic and parked cars
    • for motorcycle licence holders (not learner permit holders)
    • at speeds up to 30km/h (penalties will apply for filtering in excess of 30km/h)
    • unless signed otherwise."

I will not be doing it while on Ls then! Thanks guys :)