Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slow Throttle???

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by morgan000, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

Have a 99 r6 and when the temperature goes up to say 100 plus or so and when i go to take off from stand still, the throttle is quite slow to respond or laggy even. When the temperature is low, the throttle moves say 1 to 2 cm and the bike takes off, but after i've been riding for a while and the temperature warms up especially in the city, it may take a movement of like 4 cm or so ( these figures r just for arguement sake). So yeah is this normal or what do you reckon I should do?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Sound like you could be running lean.

Is that model FI or Carbie?

Any mods to the bike?
  3. i would have said running rich, as mine was bogging down when hot.
  4. its a carby, and no mods to it, apart from the exhaust baffles removed i think.
  5. Yep me 2.

I noticed it today when I rode back after work around 5-6pm.
    (different bike, same CV carbies induction system)

After the initial 20mins of riding, the throttle response became laggy and jerky. Since the bike ran fine this morning and has been all week, I just put it down to the carbs running rich.

The last time it behaved this way was back in Jan\Feb when it was still quite warm after 5pm. Doesnt happen in the morning when the air is cooler and "crisp".

It reminds me of force-induction cars. There's a significant difference when the outside air is cool and dense (after rain), or in winter. It just ran so much better than 30C days; like a different car.

As for a solution..... either tune the carbs and\or clean the air filter to see if there's any improvements. Personally, I CBF mucking with the carbs as it runs beautifully at all other temps.