Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slow Speed Turns

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by enmore, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Hi everyone and happy new year!

I have been riding for just over a week now and loving it and I have a noob question.

When practicing my u turns i seem to have a couple of issues.
    1. In the uturn I know I need to turn my eyes and head in the direction of the u turn but I have this almost uncontrolled urge to look at the curb so I don't hit it and then I end up going to wide. Nerves or I just need more faith and practice?
    2. I understand the use of the clutch,brake and throttle but most times I need to put a foot down in a tight uturn to stop falling. If I give more throttle the bike wants to stand, physics, and I end up pulling out of the slow turn, if I go to slow I fall into the turn.
    Do I need to shift position to keep balance and if so how do you start to gain this balance?

I hope this had made sense and all the above is done in a car park

2. Happy New Year enmore.
    1. More practice required.
    2. Try using more throttle & slip the clutch, use the rear brake to control your speed. Also consider counter leaning.
    Good luck.
  3. In tight, low speed turns you counter lean, that is push the bike down into the turn and you lean the opposite way to counter balance it.
    But definitely turn your head a lot and don't look down or at what you're not supposed to hit. Slip the clutch to stop the throttle standing the bike up. You want a fluid application of power.
  4. Keep your head up!

Point your chin in the direction you want to go.

Do some VERY slow riding in a straight line until you have the hang of balancing throttle, clutch and dragging back brake, before you get into the U turn bit.
  5. Thanks for the advice!
    practice practice practice :)
  6. There is no try, there is only do >> what people have said above. Practise.

In the meantime these vids by Jerry Paladino are useful

this is a good vid from a legend

also check out some motogymkhana vids ... there are heaps that show technique

7. Get yourself to the learner practice sessions at Homebush. The course is mapped out and there are experienced riders there that can help you.
    There's a thread on them. If you need someone to accompany you there then ask in that thread.
  8. Thanks NSSherlock.

I have already mapped out my route there and been given an afternoon leave pass from my darling, caring, wonderful wife.
    • Like Like x 1