Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slow Riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by bronson, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Gday guys,I'm so new at this ,I only just booked my prelearner course today.Thats ok but,gives me plenty of time for research.
    I was wondering,they tell me that a big emphasis is placed on slow riding ,like around cones and uturns etc.Are different types of bikes easier to ride at slow speeds and make these manouvres than others?
    I'm being given access to an XVS650 to learn on which is fine with me since the cruiser type of bike is what I'm interested in riding.
    Anyway,would a lower bike like this be more difficult to slow turn than one where you sit higher?
    In case it makes a difference,I'm 44 ,78kg and average height.
    Thanks in anticipation.Maybe the first in a long line of dumb questions!

2. Cruisers, big sports bikes are generally more difficult to do slow manveouring than most sports 250. It can be done on bigger bikes and I have even heard (let me emphasis heard, although I do not believe it) of someone pasting their Ps on a Honda Goldwing.

It is really all about clutch control, rear brake and counter-leaning. The slow riding shows the examiner that you have good control over youyr bike. Anyone can rev the throttle, especially down a straight line, it is the other aspects of riding that make it more fun. If you find your bike too difficult to do slow manveouring, you can always hire a CB250. I wouldn't worry about slow manveouring for your pre Ls.

My Spada was a piece of cake to do slow-manveouring. Strangely, I enjoy slow riding than hooning in a straight line. I still have a go at u-turns, cone weaves and figure 8s every now and then. In NSW, you are not required to do figure 8s but I would try doing them anyway. I am hoping to improve my figure 8s just for the sake of it. Before your Ps test, you will make time to practice slow riding. After your Ps, you will probably let it go like I did. Maybe, once in a blue moon, when you find a quiet car park, you'll test yourself to see if you still have it.

I think you should think more about road craft, cornering, keeping up with traffic and watching out for idiot drivers. Survival skills are more important than a u-turn.

My 2 cents from someone with only 9 months riding experience.
  3. pre-provisional course examines slow riding. pre-learner is simply about learning basic controls
  4. won't matter as you wont be allowed to ride the xvs650 on the prelearners, you can only use their bikes, but in relation to slow speed manovuring it can be done, but also be advised the instructors down here also said that 90% of people that go through to do their P's on 650 cruiser fail
  5. We messed with slow rides through an obstacle course when I did my Ls (only a straight slow was required so this was for fun) and the guys on Viragos (and they're small and light) sure had a crapload more trouble than the rest of us to get through - I doubt any of them would have passed if it was a real test.
  6. just to provide some conflicting info. when a few of us went otu to practice for our p's, most of us were on either sports or sports-commuter style bikes. we all had trouble but got it eventually, however, we had a rebel 250 with us who nailed it easily, would never have thought it
  7. btw i was saying a 250 cruiser wouldnt do it, i was talking about the xvs650 v star, they are much heavier and alot longer in the wheel base
  8. Whoops,sorry,didnt mean to mislead anybody.Yeah I understand about the prelearners course,I mean I probably won't even see this bike until after I can get my L's.
    I've just got all these scenarios floating round in my head about the whole learning experience and thinking of things that could pose any sort of a problem in learning to ride .I'm sure there would be easier bikes to learn on than this one but since I'm getting this one for nix I can't complain can I ?
    I'll do what everybody has been saying to do,practise practise ,practise.
    Thanks for all the replies guys,cheers.
  9. There may be "easier" bikes to ride. personally I dont like people learning on cruisers because they handle and brake worse than other bikes.

However, if thats the only type of bike you're going to ride then there is nothing wrong with it.

If you think about it it's a lot better than going the other way - learning on a CB250 and then buying a M109 Boulevard or something like that.
  10. It is all technique...you can do it on any bike..with practice.

Last weekend I had a 1000GTR (270kg) doing full lock U-turns.

So get out and practice..practice...practice.
  11. dont know about other states im in sa and here regardless of what you ride on Ls you have to ride the honda 250 and or i think 500 bikes that they provide
    also here again not sure other states but my learner centre in modbury has two training areas and if you roll up on your own bike as long as they are not using it they will open the gates and let you into the second area for you to practice i know i will be doing this later when i have a couple more ks under the belt