Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slow riding in the MOST (NSW)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Brmmm, Jun 21, 2010.

1. I've been doing some practicing (or is it practising?) for the MOST and found I can do the cone weave and U turn at low revs +/- rear brake without feathering the clutch/high revs. I find the latter a bit more tricky and get a bit nervous about dropping the clutch and suddenly taking off (its a multistorey car park and I'm using the empty top level, can you see where I'm heading?).

What is your advice?

I'm guessing I really should learn the proper way,no?

2. Thanks Goz. I haven't had trouble with stalling. Is that what you are getting at?

Or do you mean it is important to follow the instructions to the point of feathering with high revs is a mandatory part of the test?
  3. and found I can do the cone weave and U turn at low revs +/- rear brake without feathering the clutch/high revs.

if u are comftable with that then keep at it, as long as u can do it without stalling, dropping bike, putting feet down then u will pass
  4. thanks Goz. Is it to do with the bike I have, or maybe some mad skillz?

(I used to ride a pushie quite a bit when I was younger and fitter - haha)
  5. cb400 is a very good bike to do the MOST ON :)
  6. Yeah, thought so. I decided on it after reading lots of stuff about it on this forum. It seems more stable than the only other bike I've ridden which was the one the Ls course. It was a yammaha 225 of some sort (? scorpio)

Love this place.
  7. Just FYI Brrrrrrrrrmmmmm there is a bloke who just passed his P's a few weeks ago who has the same bike as you and he didn't need to feather the clutch either. The donk on that bike just tractored him around with no worries. So he just had to use the back brake, point it in the right direction and couterbalance whre needed and he was sweet. Got through his MOST with no points lost.

But it is a good skill to learn so you have it if you need it (it's not just for MOST).

Fun Ha!
  8. Perfect bike for the test. The only easier one you could do it on is a CBR125 :)

But what they teach you to do is this process. Hold on your rear brake. Bring you revs up to a fast idle and find the friction point of your clutch. Now hold your revs steady with the friction point, say 3500rpm and use your rear brake to control your speed. You can now manovour around at low speed, the bike won't stall and it won't get away from you. Just use that rear brake!

When you're doing it the "testing" way you won't vary your clutch or throttle inputs much if at all.

Now that i've said that I should get in some more practice. I've done my P's course but can't do the slow speed any more because i'm out of practice.
  9. As someone who's job requires LOTS of slow riding I can tell you with utmost confidence that the rear brake will be your friend when doing the slow ride. The hardest part will be setting off but once you're in the grove it will be a piece of cake.
    I don't know about nowadays but I did my Learners at HART Tullamarine and they informed us with a bit of a wink that the idle on the CB250s had been upped a little to allow first gear riding to be easier maybe even better on the slightly bigger 400.
    Rear brake and most importantly, relax.
  10. if you can do that stuff without feathering the clutch you are allready awesome.
    tell the instructor prior to the test that you are awesome and request a test with a much higher degree of dificulty, to make it worth your while even being there.
    explain that his test is gay and for amateurs and that you are a pro.
    always bring a slab of beer for the instructor, just incase you **** up and you'd prefer he did'nt see that, must have been looking elsewhere*wink wink*
  11. Worked for me 8-[ :bolt:
  12. i did my MOST U-turns and cone weaves without feathering the clutch (one less thing to worry about).

Personally i found that using the rear brakes and counter leaning (i.e. leaning the bike in one way and leaning you body in the other) and having enough revs so that the bike doesn't stall allowed me to pull sharper U-Turns and cone weaves.

Feathering is a very important skill (don't get me wrong), something i am now trying to learn, but i don't think you need it for the MOST.