Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slow Learner

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by KazTastic, Apr 3, 2016.

1. I went to my second pre-learners course this weekend, and while I got to the end this time round, I failed again(the instructor told me that I was braking too quickly).

The instructor told me that he'd just let me do remedial one on one classes until I mastered the things I got wrong, and he'd give me my licence. Sounds great, but now I'm starting to wonder if it's really a good idea for me to keep going for the learners, especially since I failed twice.

It took me three goes to get my forklift ticket, but driving a forklift in a warehouse is completely different to riding a motorbike on the road.

Has anyone else here had trouble getting their Ls? Should I keep on going with it? Is riding just not for me?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lots of people have troubles and lots don't. Some people are naturally competent to start with and some people aren't and have to work on it for a while. After a few years the better rider may not be the one who was the natural to start with.

At the end of the day it is your choice. If you want to ride keep with it.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. one day it will just click for you. keep drilling the basics. you'll get it. not everyone quickly picks up the 'use both hands and both feet at the same time' of motorcycling.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. G'day KazKaz. It sounds like you've had a disappointing day. When I went to do the pre-Learner course, I'd had the benefit of riding motorcycles before, albeit fifteen years before. It went OK for me and two others who were off-road riders. Another two people who'd had little or no riding experience found it very challenging; one came off the bike during the course.

The instructor has confidence that you are capable of successfully meeting the course outcomes with some extra practise. If you haven't ridden much or at all before, this is nothing to give up over. For those that don't have ready access to a trail bike and some off-road ground to ride around on it isn't always easy to master skills in the limited time that the pre-Learner course offers.

As mentioned, ultimately it is up to you but give yourself the same vote of confidence that the instructor has.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I wouldn't give up. I would take up the suggestion of one on ine training. It is easier to learn than in a group setting. Here in WA we get no pre learner course. You get your L's, you find a riding company and your on the road day one. If your lucky like me, you get someone who gives a shit if your safe and so takes time to run through some theory, then does very basic manouvres in a quiet st whilst evaluating if it is safe to head out into traffic etc.

I would say give the one to one training a shot, if it is just braking too fast that is the issue, practice gradually bringing a push bike to a stop, sure it isn't a 170kg motorbike, but it is the same principle and less dangerous (my now healed broken left hand may argue) It only takes gentle touches on the brake to slow, squeezing harder as the bike slows more.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Hey mate that really sucks when you try so hard & still get knocked back! It sound's like you've got the guts to keep coming back when you got your forklift ticket, is riding important enough to you to do the same thing again? If so, its that much bigger achievement for you cos it didn't come easy, so good luck with it!

Would it be possible for you to go and practice somewhere (away from the roads) by yourself. You've had plenty of feedback from the instructors, so you know what to practice, now it's about going over & over it yourself. Take it in small steps, one thing at a time don't try to get it all together in one go.:-(

However, its also great to get some encouragement sometimes - is there someone you can talk about it with when you get one bit better? There is also a list of possible mentors in one of the forums, there may be one near you who can give you some advice when it just isn't working. I think there is also a Sat morning practice in Sydney, even just watching how others do it can help (I found that at my first practice in Melb yesterday) or if you can get your bike there (I trailered mine, but maybe someone else could ride it there for you) having helpful, experienced riders give suggestions can be great.

All the best!
  7. Be patient, probably best to follow instuctors suggestions as he usually has good reason, sometimes it just takes time to get the flow going but am sure it will all be worth it once you have overcome these initial challenges.
  8. I just find the front brake stops the bike straight away, no matter how softly I press it, which means I don't have time to downshift and use the rear brake, so I'm juggling tasks and I worry that I'm about to fall off.

Then he tells me that I'm too nervous on the bike. Of course I am, because I'm trying to get everything done, and now you're telling me that it's test conditions. Test conditions makes even the most confident person shit bricks.
  9. No need to shit bricks, take it easy, in the end, riding a motorcycle is all about enjoyment, dont make the whole experience an issue, enjoy the challenge or have an easier mindset when practising, try to look ahead & gauge what you need to do in general to slow down etc. When I first started I also could not believe how difficult it was but it all comes into play after while, your mind/body will get into sink with it, just may take a little or longer time, then there is no thinking about it, it all becomes natural. Enjoy & lots of luck.
  10. Just a suggestion, now, but why don't you do the one on one lessons as offered, get your learners licence and then think about what you want to do?

Not everybody adjusts to doing different things with their hands and feet, all at the same time, AND balancing a motorbike, in ten minutes!

With practise, it all becomes much easier, and much of it becomes automatic.... give it a chance.
  11. if you're pulling up straight away maybe you're going too slow, seriously. the quick/e-stops are meant to be done at a reasonable speed. if you're approaching at 20kms p/hr because you're nervous then of course you'll run out of time to front brake/clutch in/rear brake/downshift as you'll be stopped before you get it done and the instructor will see you desperately flailing away. there is nothing wrong with being nervous but it could also mean that you are underprepared for the task at hand and need to ride more and hone your skills.

as a suggestion you could try the following:

step 1 - practice the braking procedure under normal riding conditions (ie normal riding speed), they don't have to be fast stops. this will embed the 1-2-3-4 steps. once you get the steps down then you can work on making them a bit faster as you will have the process sorted and just need to work on your speed. then go to the next step.

step 2 - instead of aiming at something to stop in front of, try selecting a braking starting point and see how quickly you can stop once you pass it (could be a tar snake on the road, a tree, a parked car, whatever you like). when you realise the distance you need to stop you can reverse engineer it for your test, ie, you know you can stop from say 50kmh in xx metres so when the test is on you know that you don't have to start braking early because you have your process and braking distance sorted.

best of luck!!!
  12. Hi chilliman64.

Trouble is the OP doesn't seem to have a bike, and doesn't have a learner's permit.

If he had a bike, I'd have offered to take him to our practice range at Homebush and work on it there, or pick him and his bike up and do some practice at my place.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. oh I didn't realise that. thanks for pointing that out. that does make it hard then.
  14. I have a son and a daughter that have learnt to ride. And I have a vested interest in their safety and also love to see them enjoy riding like I do. This may seem mean but as far as I am consered my son should not ride a bike because. He just has not learnt the finer point of riding and the biggy here is the emergency braking. I have riden with him and how he has stayed alive is beyond me. At the moment he is in a car and I hope he stays there.
    Now my daughter. When she started riding she scared the crap out of me. But as I road with her you could see that she was going to make a good rider. I have loved riding with her and to see the enjoyment that she has on a bike. It is a real buzz. So if you are like my daughter and are going to practice the finer points of riding keep going. But I do not think it is for everyone.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. just depends if your willing to work on it or not. i was pretty bad at driving a car too but i eventually got the hang of it, once you can automate the basic operations to control the vehicle in your head, your free to think about whats going on which makes all the difference in my experience.
  16. That sounds like, at this point, there's too many things going on at one time for you to be able to process or focus on any one of them properly - which is entirely normal! Spudz27Spudz27's suggestion of one-on-one rider training and practise sessions is a good one, considering you don't otherwise have access to a motorcycle.

Having a few hours of instructed riding that isn't automatically being assessed for pre-Learner course outcomes will probably boost your confidence and allow you to focus on one or two things at a time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I'm guessing you have no bike or I would spend the time with you to show you how to sort it all out.
  18. I want to get the licence, and then keep on riding after I get it, but I just wonder how many times I should fail before I throw in the towel.

As for the braking, the track that we use is about the size of a basketball court with turns on each side. Do I floor it before reaching the place where I brake?
  19. Definitely keep at it, you just need more time on the bike to get the feel of it.
    As for the braking thing, one thing I recall that made it a LOT easier on me when I did the test was NOT to use the rear brake. Using it now is second nature but when I went for the actual license, it was just simply too much for me to coordinate it considering I'd been on a motorcycle for, what...3 hours previously? When you take off, get it into second as soon as possible so you have more time to concentrate on what you have to do next. The only time I downshifted was when I was stationary. I always stopped in second by just pulling in the clutch and using the front brake, and then put it back in first when I went to take off. Don't know if that's good advice or not but the less I had to concentrate on doing the easier for me.
  20. There is no "magic" number.

It is up to you, and how much you want it.

One of the HART instructors told me of a pupil who had returned 8 or 9 times, before getting their Ls.

The practice range is pretty well a standard size.

If you are talking about the "quick stop" braking exercise, your instructor would have specified a speed between 20 and 30 kph.

You MUST do at least 20 kph, and it is measured.

Pushing the top limit is not recommended. ;)

(Actually, I have a feeling that the top speed specified has been changed and it might well be 25kph, now.)