Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slow Jet blocked, where to get spares? Honda VTR 250

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by acasta, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    I'm cleaning out my VTR 250's carburetors and I think I found the problem. I cannot see light through or get air through the slow jet on the front carb, where I could on the rear.

I've got it soaking in carb cleaner over night tonight. Any idea where I could buy a new stock jet? I'm in Melbourne. I live in Northcote and work/uni in the city so I could go around either.

(not sure if this is the right thread?)

2. Try giving it a prod with a fine sowing needle,just dont brake it off or make the hole any bigger.The carb cleaner should soften it.Has the bike been sitting for a while,thats what usualy blocks them.
  3. a bike shop........
    if you can get the size of the jet then most shops should be able to match it. (im a bit biased to peter stevens... they do have some good people work for them.....)

if not they can order in the honda one........
  4. Good idea Zim, the manual i have suggests not using wire ect, but I tried a really fine piece.
    Tomorrow after work I'll try a sewing needle, but its a bit hard to figure out where the hole starts inside the jet.

Spenaroo, I'm very new to bikes and that's why I was asking for names of stores. I'll try Peter Stevens as they are close to my work and uni, thanks.
  5. The point re dont use wire is to stop people flogging the hole out to a bigger size,be gentle.Maybe use the other jet as a guide.
  6. What material is inside the jet? I assumed it was metal.
    Also, yes bike hasn't been riden in 18 months (by the guy I bought it off)

EDIT: No good on the need in jet. Something is stuck in there good. I even tried lightly tapping with a hammer from both sides and no movement. Bent the pin.
  7. theres also an acid method...
    just cant remember what it was, but it takes 2 weeks.
    its used on the old harley jets when they arent available anymore.

fair enough with the new to bikes. wasnt really a sarcastic comment, as i had no-idea what i could/couldnt get from a bike store until i started working in spare parts for one.
    just please, for the love of god know what bike you ride....
    nothing is worse then bieng told "i need an spark plug for my motorbike, its a 250.... their all the same" your already better then half the guys we get in...., extra points for not buying a chinese bike. then you really would need to ask where to gets jets:) (and then the owners get pissed at us as we cant get parts for their chinese peice of junk that we dont sell...)
  8. haha cheers spenaroo.
    What would be the best way to match an old to new jet? I know the model and year of bike :p but would it help taking in the old (blocked) one?
  9. If you cannot get one locally try Show and Go,goggle it.They are in SA and do mail sales of jets.The fuel drys out and particles in suspendion solidify,it can be crusty but not that hard usually,the jets are brass.Jets can be hard to get,there not a part thats wears out.As a last resort you could get a Number drill,engineering supplys shop, bit found from the good jet and using visegrips gentaly wind it through the crap.Keeps socking it though
  10. Speaking as someone who has tried to deliberately open out jets by poking wire through them, you'd have to be astoundingly brutal to make any significant difference.
  11. I use fuse wire, works well.
  12. yeah, it most likely would.
    there should be a number stamped in the jet, but they are small and difficult to spot, especially if dirty.
  13. the carby should have a reference number or something too
  14. A mechanic mate of mine has a set of wires for cleaning jets. Try your local bike repair shop; they'd probably clean the jet for you as a courtesy job on the spot.
  15. Know any jewellers? Or got any friends with an ultrasonic bath?

The high frequency vibration breaks down and dislodges particles. Many shops clean carburettors with these and most often just in distilled water.