Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slow Cornering Tips

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by xzibit, May 20, 2005.

1. Hi All,

I'm newbie rider and just recently purchased a CBR250R. I honestly think my slow cornering or maybe cornering in total is horrendous. My problems are U turns, Roundabouts and taking off to turn. Reason being is I'm in 1st gear and sometimes I might give to much throttle so i ease off and apply the throttle again. Since 1st gear is responsive it gives a tiny jerk which throws me off balance and I have to adjust my steering again. As you can see I'm not very smooth, any tips on what I should do? Should I change into 2nd gear straight away while in a corner?

2. Generally a rule of thumb is to avoid changing gears midway during a turn. Always set up your speed and gear before entering. Then you have all the time to concentrate on going faster and lower on every corner :).

With low speed U-turns, you have to start practicing counter-balancing. It's a technique where you try put the centre of gravity, over your tyres by leaning away from the corner. This gives the tyres more grip on the roads as you perform the turn.

At HART during your licence training, they drill you on this alot.
  3. Clutch.

Ride the clutch a little as you go round the corner.

Keep the clutch right at the friction point, keep the revs the same around the corner, pressing or releasing the clutch as you need less or more power respectively.

Using clutch more seemed to help on my zxr250. They would be the same as the cbr in respect to twitchy throttle in first gear.
  4. first, make sure your eyes are always up - dont look at the ground. if you get the "falling" feeling, apply more throttle and look further into the corner. if the bike feels like it's going to low, or if you are ever tempted to put your foot down, ease open the throttle to lift the bike up.

on the cbr, you might need to ride the clutch at very slow speeds.. dont forget to keep the revs up when ur doing this.

best advice I can give is to go to a car park and ride around in circles until you can drag your pegs on the ground. then do figure 8s back and forth until you can drag the pegs every time. when you get back on the road you'll wonder what the problem was :)
  5. sounds like you just need to work on your throttle control, its all just practise, on a weekend go find yourself a quiet carpark or industrial lot and work on your weaknesses. Also practise braking and counter steering.
  6. As the others have said , work the clutch and throttle (and i also use the back brake ) and lean away from the turn , as in , move ur body weight to the opposite to the turn ( obviously only do this for u-turns )
  7. Thanks guys, great advice. I'll try and find an empty place to do some slow riding. Another question how about taking off from hills that a sloping up. I dont want to roll back into a car or anything so whats the best way to tackle this??

8. you can hold in the rear brake for hill starts to begin with, but a trick you will use most often after mastering it is to hold and slowly release the front brake while opening the throttle. It sounds tricky, but if practised it is pretty easy after a while and lets you keep both feet on the ground.
  9. For hill start take offs I use the front brake and release it as I roll back the throttle and release the clutch. You may roll back but only a few inches which shouldnt be a worry. Go somewhere quiet & practice it, you will be better for it.
  10. Tell me why you don't use the back brake, much easier and you never roll back.
  11. All the above suggestions are good, listen to them and you will improve your riding tecnique, but there is an easier way......get rid of the Honda and get yourself a real bike a Harley!!!!! then you want have any problems
    Trust me, always trust a man who says trust me!
  12. I got told tonight from a Harley rider that they have no brakes!!!!!
  13. As takagawa said, it's all about counter-balancing. Point your chin and eyes towards where you want to go and the bike will follow. If you can't accelerate through the corner, hang off the other side of the bike. Example: if you are making a right hand U-turn, point your head toward where you want to go, and hang your shoulders and some of your body off the left hand side of the bike. This helps you tip the bike into the corner (and keep it relatively upright), while using your body weight to make up for the lack of centrifugal force at low speed.
  14. As already stated, rear brake is important to use (especially on hill starts). it gives much better control and lowers the center of gravity. Eye directions is essential! Counter balance is a great tool for sharp low speed turns. Bottom line is go to a professional training provider and be trained. When you are trying to do it for yourself it is hard to remember what the instructions are, but to be coached by a professional is the wa yto do it safely and effectively. When riding there are many aspects to techniques, you may focus on one aspect where an instructor is focus on everything. That is my .02 cents.

15. I don't use the back brake for hill starts because I find that it isn't easier & I have the risk of stalling if I release the brake too late. Using my method I can't stall because the brake is released by the use of the throttle but you may roll back only if you are slow on releasing the clutch.

At the end of the day it is up to the rider and they can do what works best for them.
  16. What you stall the bike....no way....remember you must release the rear brake when the clutch engages, even then if you don't it won't stall unless the revs are way too low.

Your comment about at the end of the day it is up to the rider, Yes you are right, but the front brake isn't the safest way to do it, isn't better to try and learn the correct safest option.

17. Dont buy a blackbird then because the brakes are linked , you will (how i dont know ) stall it every time.
  18. During the learner's test I was told to use the back brake in a stand still position (Ready Position i think its called) and the left foot on the ground. But I never really adopted this method as I always got the left foot ready to change gears and the right on the ground. Is this wrong???

Plus if you have the back brake in you have to step off to allow the left foot to engage 1st gear which is a little bit of a hassle.
  19. Every-one has their own ways , theres no right or wrong . BUT , have you thought that sitting at lights with the bike in neutral (im guessing thats what u mean ) and you notice a car coming behind you that might not stop , that few seconds it takes you to engage first could mean you riding off or riding in an ambulance.