Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slow bike ettiquette

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by gizzo, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Imagine, for a moment, that you're swinging through the bends in the hills on your favourite bike. Someone comes up behind you, riding faster than you. Do you
    A: move over so they can get past
    B: ride like a cock and gas it on the straights so they can't get past

I ride a pretty slow motorbike, but I like to ride it quickly sometimes. Sadly, in the hills, where I'm usually outgunned power-wise, I often find myself in that situation. I catch a slower rider in the bends where they block the way. But when the road opens up, they accelerate so I have no hope of getting past. Then, next set of corners they ruin it for me again. How about letting me past, so I can enjoy myself? Riders who play the game nicely are, in my experience, few and far between. Maybe I bring it on myself by choosing to ride a bike that everyone from L platers on Ninjas to old farts on baggers seems morally obliged to show who's the boss.

Here's a tip: If the bike catches you up from behind, they're faster than you.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  2. ....and wave them thru, but only on a straight bit of road.

If I am first to a corner, I consider it to be MY bit of road.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Yep,its an ego thing,hate to generalise but Busas and Harleys are a special for this.Can work the other way as well,I don't mind moving over if I get the chance, hate getting bombed past closely when I get surprised and that's even happened when I am checking the mirrors a lot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. absolutely, and I'd never expect someone to give up the corner, but on the next straight, the waving through thing would be nice. Gotta say, it was great riding with the NR crew on the Jindabyne ride. They have good form.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Certainly, move over for a faster rider as soon as it is easy to do so.
    I have had one time where I caught someone, was stuck behind them for most of the good road, then as the road straightened I went to pass them. They were on a 1100 Blackbird so had some straightline grunt and matched me side by side until the next corner. At which point he came VERY close to hitting the sign on the edge of the road/guard rail as he failed to corner properly at speed.

People need to keep thier ego in check when on the road, it will make it safer for them and everyone around them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stick a big reverse print sign on the front of your bike that says "learn how to corner properly or move"...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. I enjoy following faster bikes at times as well as they can be cop bait :). When I started riding I would always move to the left and most riders waved to me in appreciation.

I find that non sport bike riders tend to move over you do get the odd sport bike rider who does hog the lane and you need to double the speed limit to overtake him/her on the straight, but most are pretty considerate imo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Difficult to see this being enough of a problem to come up that often. Just move over at the right time.

9. Concentrate on your riding. They are behind you so it is their worry about passing. Don't try to make it harder for them just keep to your line and comfort. Check on your mirrors as often as possible to keep an eye on them and be ready if they try to pass but your task is to worry about what is ahead not do their riding for them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. I tend to move to one side when I caught by a faster bike, but only when it's safe to do so.

A couple of years back, I was riding down through a mountain pass in France, just gently riding along, admiring the view and WHOOOSH.
    A bike came flying past, I didn't hear him or see him, frightened the crap out of me.
    Don't you just hate those lycra clad arseholes on pushbikes.:mad: Caught the fukker up on the straight and wanted to stick my big ole bike boot up the crack of his arse as I blasted past

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Always try to move over when able.
    Sorry gizzogizzo

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I used always wave people through when safe to do so espesh on good roads like the Oxley or Mac Pass. Senator17Senator17 may recall a couple of budding darwin award applicants who overtook us both on narrow corners coming down from Mac Pass. Bloody dangerous and was sheer stupidity.
    But on the road in corners don't be a dickhead and cut INSIDE me on a corner. You want to ride like that go play on the race tracks please. I have had that happen twice to me now. Lucky that they were on a much quicker bike because I would have kicked their arses into tomorrow if I had caught them!

13. I always move over - treat others like you would want to be treated I say.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. no-one calling for slow bikes to be banned from using the road? :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. All the Harley Hogg chapters would be up in arms!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I have to agree that if I spot a bike sitting on my tail, especially through the corners........ then they are faster than me, so I extent some courtesy, allowing them to pass when safe.

Any one can be fast in a straight line (Not talking about the drag strip, that's another thing), but those that 'Think' they're quick through the corners, but actually just hold up everyone behind them, to only guns it down the straight to show off their riding abilities, cause nothing more than frustration and some riders taking unnecessary risk.

If the slower rider (through the corners) tends to speed up on the straights, this causes the faster rider to assess whether Mr Plod is sitting down the end of the straight, of which, Mr Plod is also counting on this exact scenario, to up their quota count. As I need my licence, this frustrates the fcuk out of me.

As with the original poster, I sometimes ride a bike that is fantastic through the corners; however, lacks the power to allow swift passing on the straights. I sometimes just pull over, take a break for 5 mins, then head off with a clear road ahead and no more frustration.

• Like Like x 4
  17. #17 Bjpitt, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    I don't see too many riders when I ride out in the country. But riding a Dl650, I've had guys behind me when rejoining the road at small towns decide they should be ahead. When they zoom past, but hold me up in the turns, I just do what I do with cars. I slow right down and wait until they are up the road a fair bit. I'm never in a hurry to be anywhere on those roads. No prizes for winning the road race.

• Like Like x 4
  18. I tend to wave people past if I see them in the mirror and its safe to do so. It does irritate me a little when some idiot (invariably on a Gixxer) screams past me on a straight (often over double lines), only to park the damned thing in the next corner though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Also, while we're speaking about etiquette, if you're on a slow bike (I'm looking at you scooters) and you filter to the front and there is already somebody waiting there on a bigger bike, like - hypothetically and not at all based on personal experience - a big blue VFR, don't fcuking pull up in front of the bigger/faster bike! :spitoutdummy:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. I had something similar recently but I was the rider in front. on a weekend ride with a few mates, one a learner but both on LAMS bikes I noticed a group of about 12 harleys come up behind us. they filtered around my buddies with one of them screaming up behind me, he was obivously the alpha-rider. I moved left to allow him to overtake as I wanted to keep an eye on the guys I was riding with as they were unfamiliar with the road and fairly inexperienced. the Alpha slowed to stay in my blind spot as a bend approached.

I pulled back out and went around the bend and checked my mirror and he had dropped back so far I lol'd in helmet as I'm by no means a demon in the bends. next straight he did the same, I waved him through, he didn't pass because there was a bend 100 metres or so ahead, same scenario. what a d*ck, and I don't mean he had feathers. he is the rider that gives harley riders a bad name. on the next straight I pulled left and slowed to 40 and waved them all through. they were terribly slow and they then held us up but they just had to get in front! wankers. it was funny but also a bit dangerous.