Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slow and tight cornering question

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by VladTepes, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Tried to post this in the noob cornering threads but apparently they are more than 179 days old so I can't...

Anyway there's a "corner" on the way up from Samford to Mt Glorious. It's a tight climbing left hander, 180 degrees or more. When I got to it I wasn't really sure how best to approach it and, consequently, mucked it up. Overthinking it probably.

So if anyone has any tips to offer such as WHERE I should be tipping in for a corner like that and what speed I should be at?

More importantly, we are told to "look with our chin" to the exit of the corner (through the corner) but in this case one can look at the exit as you are riding past it... obviously not what's intended.

Anyway if you can understand what the hell I'm on about and/or know the corner in question, I'd appreciate any well intentioned tips and advice.

On th way back, of course, its a falling right hander (even scarier), hwo to approach that ?

2. I know the bend you are talking about. Its about a kilometre back from the Nebo - Glorious T junction on the Samford side? And theres another sharp bend to the opposite direction just before that? I guess every bike is different, has different torque, centre of gravity, weight and handling so each rider would probably need to approach it in a different way. When I'm coming up from Samford, I generally slow down just before that bend, then about half way through it, use the throttle hardish to get the revs back up again; (my bike has lots of torque power) coming back down, stick to the outside of the curve so it gives you more room to manouver, its pretty sharp. Theres similiar bends on the other side of Glorious too, some riders go pretty fast but I take the slow and cautious way, never had problems there (touch wood):)

3. Yes you can,
    just click the check box. As shown in this illustration.
  4. Thanks Amantha. Thats the corner I mean yes.
    I have a heap of torques too - nice aren't they !

smee - yeah mate Ive seen that before but weirdly not on the particular thread mentioned when I went to post....
  5. Think I know the one.
    Anywho eyes are the biggy and keeping some momentum up.

As you approach say you are @ 6 and heading 12. you want to move to the right of your lane. This will give you the widest arc in.
    Your apex will be @ 9. Keeping the original reference. Yes you want a very late apex on 180's. This will hold you tight to the center of the corner and allow you to get on the throttle with room to move out the way the bike will naturally want to go.
    So stay as wide as you can coming into the corner. You want to be wide as you are in it. When you can see 3/4 through it look to the apex @ 9 which is now @ 3 eeeek I need my white board lol
    If you have heaps of torquies then keep a rolling throttle and use the rear brake to control that little bit of ground speed. because what you don't want to do in these corners is play with the throttle till your coming out of the corner. And you need some on coming in. Keep it all very smooth.
  6. Yeah yah lost me a whiteboard would be handy.
    I'll come up one day we'll go for a ride and you can laugh and point !
  7. I've ridden that road once and I remember some pretty hairy corners. I'm a big advocate of not using the rear brake for mountain riding but on those really tight hairpins it's the best tool for the job I reckon. The biggest mistake is people slow down too much entering these corners. You need enough speed to be able to chuck the bike into the corner.
  8. I treat them like u turns-look as far behind you and get on the outside of seat and drag the rear brake. I generally like to go deep in the corner until turning if its on the inside as the change of elevation gets smoothed out.
  9. Mmm...I throw away these types of corners, and just 'ride to survive' them.

But I stay wide, and run around the corner in the outside wheel track, to avoid the steeper section of roadway inside of the corner.

I can carry a higher and steadier speed, and then hit the power once I'm clear of it.
  10. If it is the corner I am thinking of Raven's advice is sound for a newish rider going down the mountain, if your are going faster then that corner you need to apex as Bretto said but only about 2/3 of the way inside your lane, if you cut the apex closer you are likely to bottom out on the gradient change (there is a sharp dip right in the "ideal" line of that corner. Coming up the mountain it is not a bad corner as your sight lines are clear (you can see if there is someone coming the other way) but you need to hold more to the center/inside (depending on circumstance) of your lane as the outside surface is uneven and will unsettle the bike somewhat. This said the sound advice is not to attack this corner unless you are 100% confident of what you are doing.
  11. Certainly not looking to ATTACK it at this stage, just ride it with some degree of fluidity (?) flow ?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Yep, another here for a general stay wide, chase the vanishing point & use a late apex. If you dont know the corner, thats as much as you can do. If you can see through the trees, on approach you can look over your shoulder to see where the road goes & get a sense of the corner's path.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. #14 kneedragon, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    That's a very good diagram. As a general rule of thumb, the delayed apex line is the one you always take on the road. For newer riders - that diagram is an exaggeration, but the principle is a good one.

Standard method for a blind corner is to hug the outside until you can see the exit. Once the exit is visible and you can see clearways, dive bomb the apex and accelerate. Don't ever anticipate the exit and roll it on thinking you have a clear road because you can be very wrong. If you know the road - it's different. You can commit to a line that goes out of sight and as long as there isn't a car on its roof half way around - or a log across the road or something - you're good. But if you don't know the road then don't ride beyond what you can see.

The corner the OP describes - if it's the one I think it is - nearly killed me in 1984, in a 308 Calais. I was coming down, and having fun, and I learned just how inadequate standard bomb-a-dore brakes are. I did make it around the bend, but I had both feet on the brake, both hands under the wheel, my shoulders hard against the seat back and my bum right out of the seat. I reckon I had about 170kg of pressure on that pedal...

Like Raven, I'd tend to treat corners like that one as get around it any way you can and worry about fast in the fast bits. It's quite tight, it isn't smooth, there's often gravel, sand, sticks and leaves and poo on it...

This is some random guy I found on the internet. He seems to be riding a road he doesn't know. You'll note that he's leaving a margin for error, that he's taking a delayed apex, that he's using the torque of a big engine to get out of corners but pussy-footing into them.

Compare that to the same guy riding up and down a piece of road he seems to know quite well. (Warning - long video.) Watch enough to get an idea what lines he's taking. In this one, he's bombing into corners faster and committing to lines where he can't see the exits.

• Like Like x 2
  14. That corner is tricky (and tight) enough that you can't pussyfoot around it much and maintain a decent flow, that is the point, junk it and move on for now:wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Which thread did you try to post in mate? I just went on tested on each of the stickied cornering threads (the Noob 10* series by Rob), couldn't see anything that would stop me from posting, admittedly I didn't actually try submitting any reply. A random glitch, perhaps?
    Was it this one? https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?p=1952985
    [​IMG] (click on picture to enlarge)
  16. Yeah that was it. Might have been an ID ten T error or IBKAC

Kneedragon I can see why 'random internet guy' made that 2nd video "private".... it shows an offence against the traffic laws.......

... didn't cancel the LH indicator. :LOL:
  17. You should see the one through the back streets of Toowong... You can see him put the wrong glove on first and wave to a scooter.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bloody Hoon, I reckon! <smirk>