Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by MyoMan, Jun 27, 2015.

1. So I know this topic has been spoken of before but I thought I'd ask the lovely people of netrider.
    What are your thoughts on riding behind larger vehicles? eg: SUV's, trucks and vans.
    I rarely do it for the main reason that it gives me a false reading of how windy it is etc. I ride a naked so I get buffeted no matter where I am. I've done it only a few times when it has literally been too windy to hold my head in a good spot. When I have done it it's been such an odd experience. I mean I know that I'll never experience space travel but the transition from 100km/hr wind to nothing is as close as I'll get to zero gravity.
    I'm aware of the dangers of this but it's too easy to do. What are your thoughts?

2. some truckies used to invite it when I was younger and the roads less policed. But your putting your limb, life and vehicle at the risk of someone or something you can't control.

Might be safer to buy a screen or do some more strengthening for your neck and core.

Of course there's the oft discussed methods of riding in windy conditions as well.
  3. When I was on a subpowered vehicle it was the only thing that I could do to maintain freeway speed without wide open throttle.

Yes it is dangerous. No don't do it. The tailgating is one thing but with a large truck you have zero vision of whats ahead.

Though the slip stream does go for some distance. You can get some small advantage at a reasonably safe distance from a large truck.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Why on earth are you travelling at the same speed as a truck or SUV? Get past that s@&t as soon as possible an get on your way. Life is too short to have a view of a truck. Get a view of the world!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Bad idea. You can't see the road surface. Bad things sometimes appear on the road from under the backs of vehicles that you are following too closely to avoid.

I'm tempted "tuck in" for a brief warm up in the Winter occasionally, but the potential for harm outweighs the benefit.

Anyone who wants to mix it with larger traffic and needs to slipstream really needs to get a machine with a realistic amount of power. This should not be something that one needs to do.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. rocks flicked up by trucks can hurt quite a bit...
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. After my road train experiences in March I so wouldn't go there...the trailer can slip off the edge of the road and send all matter of crud straight onto you or worse still a real come to Jesus moment when you get a white out or dirt out. Seriously brown duds time.
    They also just let road kill go underneath so you might find your front end suddenly slurping up some dead roo or fox entrails or worse still, having a lie down with them :(
    I just wouldn't slipstream myself. Too much risk for me. I would rather drop back, chill and bide my time until overtaking opportunity or overtaking lanes...the whinja just doesn't have the grunt so I have to make some allowances for that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. I have to agree that slipstreaming trucks is a bad idea. Firstly, they have no idea you are there so may do something unexpected. If they have a blowout, you are going to get the full brunt of flying rubber. I ride behind road trains on a regular basis in Central Queensland and the worst the turbulence gets is a bit of front wheel wobble. You are better off perfecting your riding technique in windy conditions.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Slipstream? Yeah nah, that is all. Your bike should have little issue even in horrendous wind, your muscles will strengthen in time and it will feel easier. I'm thinking you haven't yet been to top speed? It really puts a 100kph relative wind in perspective.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. #10 XJ6N, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    I'm on my Ps and limited to 90 km/h on the open road where most of my commute is done. I am frequently overtaken by other vehicles including trucks and buses that move ahead of me fairly quickly (a good thing).

I don't like being immediately behind large vehicles for several reasons:
    • I ride a naked bike too. The 'dirty' air behind large vehicles results in a fair amount of wind buffeting.
    • Oncoming vehicles don't know I'm there; if they pull out to overtake quickly, it could result in a head-on accident.
    • It is easy to get 'boxed in' by other vehicles accelerating from behind and not much distance to manoeuvre or slow down in should the large vehicle ahead suddenly brake.
    In addition to this, and as others have said, you're in the firing line should anything come off the vehicle or be thrown back from the road such as a tyre blow-out, loose cargo or just road debris.

Last year while driving home in the car, I watched a rider on a pristine white Triumph Tiger get hemmed in on the highway (through no fault of their own) right behind a truck towing a livestock trailer.

The trailer was empty but several cars back I could smell liquid cow manure and a thin spray of it was soon all over the windscreen as it oozed out of the trailer sides and blew back in the slipstream. The poor rider copped it for nearly two kilometres before an opportunity to overtake appeared.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DO NOT - repeat - DO NOT tailgate heavy vehicles.

They can't see you.
    You can't see the road ahead, at all.
    Tyres blow - you don't want to get smacked by tyre tread.
    Rocks and other objects can get picked up by the tyres/wheels and can let go at any time.
    You shouldn't need to be warned about following stock trucks - it's pretty obvious.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. Also, if a truckie gets surprised by a large mammal, and attempts an e-stop? How close are you? Are other vehicles behind you? What if they don't react in time? You're aware that the back "bumper" of a truck is made of steel and so is the trailer, right? Want to become the crumple zone? The meat in a steel sanga?
  13. But it would be hilarious to see.... :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. #14 Oldmaid, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    ummm and smell :yuck:
    jalalskijalalski and I got caught behind a sewerage truck riding along the road through Spencer. Mmmm hmmmm my oh my that were pleasant (not ) :sick:
    We both hung well back but every time it lurched around a corner it slopped, literally, onto the road a fine mist of the pistus and turdus that so delicately drifted fell upon our person and our visors.
    It was gross...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Hope you didn't lick your lips any time soon after, don't want to have to explain where all that mistus ended up with turbulent air. Did you wash your helmet liner afterward too?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. It was quite a miasma ... I had visions of all kinds of enteric pathogens making a new home in us :woot:
    The bugger was we would accelerate up to try and get past him and of course he would plant it..then a corner and turdus delecti misting time...noice!
    A good Sards bath was in order when I got home although the dog greeted me more enthusiastically than normal...was like a pooch aphrodisiac! ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Nothing more humiliating than a tiger being shat on by a cow...
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. So, have you washed your helmet liner? Otherwise you've been eating that shit ever since!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wow. Thanks for all the advice guys. That's a huge reason why NR is so good. No more following trucks for me. Not only for the dangers but also what OldmaidOldmaid has so pleasantly worded :). Hate to have an open face helmet hehe
  20. I gather you carried on......undeterred?

(Someone had to say it!)
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1